First hard crash ( yay or nay on prop guards)

Reaction score
Something weird happened while flying the Phantom. I flew really up high to test its altitude and let it hover for a while. The wind wasn’t too bad (at least on the ground). And when I press down on the rc (joystick stayed down position), right about halfway, the phantom starts to rock or sway up and down in a left right motion. I tried to gain control on the joystick but it just kept coming down and bam, had a crash landing and it tipped upside down. Luckily, nothing major damaged except for 2 split prop guards. Any idea of what could have cause this to happen? This never happened before (without the prop guards). Coincidental perhaps? Another scenario is that the phantom seems to have a mind of its own and it started to ascend uncontrollably. I panicked thinking I’m going to lose her but gladly it stopped and just hovered. I then slowly landed it and that’s when I noticed the busted prop guards. Perhaps the balance with the wind got messed up why it did that. But overall, it was a fun flight.

Any idea of what could have cause this to happen? This never happened before (without the prop guards). Coincidental perhaps?
It's not a coincidence.
You've discovered something called Vortex Ring State (VRS), an unpleasant condition that was a potential problem with older DJI drones.
DJI changed their aerodynamics for the P3 and later models to prevent it.
The prop guards tend to make it even worse.

A search here will bring up plenty of threads discussing this:

It's not a coincidence.
You've discovered something called Vortex Ring State (VRS), an unpleasant condition that was a potential problem with older DJI drones.
DJI changed their aerodynamics for the P3 and later models to prevent it.
The prop guards tend to make it even worse.

A search here will bring up plenty of threads discussing this:
Wow! That’s good to know. Thanks for the heads up. Is there any way of updating the phantom through the software to prevent that from happening again? Likely a stupid question and just giving it a shot.

Is there any way of updating the phantom through the software to prevent that from happening again? Likely a stupid question and just giving it a shot.
No ... you just have to descend with some forward movement rather than coming straight down at full descent speed.
DJI fixed it for the P3 onwards by offsetting the motors so their alignment isn't vertical.
And consider losing the propguards.

Reactions: Izzy1970
It is caused by high descending speed. That's why Phantoms by default ascend quicker than descend. It is a measure to prevent vortex. If this will happen again just slow down descending.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj