First FPV - not as easy as I thought

Thank you Martcerv... I meant the mini iOSD but didn't type it. Somedays it just doesn't pay to get out of bed! Thanks a million for the info and the videos. I am going to order them today.

thetac said:
Oh ya welcome to the club....the phantom is actually cheap compared to what you can spend on add-ons!!!

Truer words were never spoken. I'm up to close to a grand in three weeks time. Case, tools, Futaba Tx/Rx, spare props, battery testers, prop balancer, GoPro Hero3, extra batteries, and the big expense (only indirectly related to the Phantom) a Jumper 600 kit, which is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Pretty excited about that.

Meanwhile, the Phantom has been singularly responsible for putting some serious fun back in my life. I've been flying it in-close, no more than 30 - 40 yards away, and probably no higher than 100 feet. BUT...I've been rippin' it up with tight spiraling flights both up and down (as if it were inside a tornado) and cool slaloms flying directly at a willow tree in my yard and then pulling up short at the last minute, then dropping it back down and back on a reciprocal course.

I used to fly pattern planes (Dave Brown design), Bud Light ARTF (I think it was a Great Planes) and a bunch of others. I miss doing knife-edge, square loops, low passes while flying inverted, and outside loops. <sigh> Quadcopters are fun and versatile, but not as fun and versatile as a grossly overpowered pattern plane with tuned pipe. <HEAVY sigh> :cry:

Maybe the new experience of FPV will make up for all that when I'm ready. Right now, I'm not there yet. Gotta push the envelope and crash a few times first, I guess. Nobody gets away without one or two of those! :lol:

PF

Can anybody tell me if i need to plug in the X3 three wired cable that comes out of the PMU V2? I have the Mini iOSD and the PMU V2 and i read several different opinions about the installation, some say it isnt necessary to plug X3 in and some say it is, so im a bit confused. I dont have a BTU or Zenmuse Gimbal

Daninho said:
Can anybody tell me if i need to plug in the X3 three wired cable that comes out of the PMU V2? I have the Mini iOSD and the PMU V2 and i read several different opinions about the installation, some say it isnt necessary to plug X3 in and some say it is, so im a bit confused. I dont have a BTU or Zenmuse Gimbal

Looking at the Naza schematic (available here: http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .04_en.pdf) the X3 port on the Naza Controller is for voltage monitor. I'm guessing you would like that function in your OSD, so I think you would want to connect your PMU V2's V-SEN plug to it?

Of course i want voltage monitoring but the strange thing is that the voltage monitoring will probably also work if you dont plug the x3 cable in, because the tutorials i know leave that cable and still have voltage monitoring, thats the part i dont understand

What is supposed to be the downside of connecting it? In other words, why would you NOT want to connect it?
actually i dont know, it was just mentioned in a tutorial. I think i will plug it in as well and leave the "old" X3 cable unused.

But im honestly more concerned about the PMU V2 power cable, in DJI's Video you solder the PMU cable directly to the board, you should use the solder points from the XT60 Battery cable. Some say it isnt good to re use solder points and thats the battery cable, if i make a mistake and get a cold solder joint after some time the Phantom will crash. Could u guys solder that cable easily to the old solder points? My soldering iron is not the best or should i strip the insulation of that cable and solder it to the cable?

From what I have read, you "piggy-back" on to the top of the pins where the battery connects. You don't need to un-solder the battery leads. In another thread, someone asked about the same thing, and got this response.

miskatonic said:
Colombus said:
I've got my iOSD mini and PMU V2 yesterday afternoon. I've tried to complete the installation yesterday evening after work. I have it nearly completed, I've connected camera to iOSD video in, iOSD video out to vTX, PMU v2 to Naza, GPS to PMU V2, iOSD to PMU V2.

What is giving my some problems is to solder the PMU V2 to the main board at the same point where the battery cable connects. Those soldering point seem to be resistant to my soldering iron. It is not melting down.

Anybody having experience on that, does it have something to do with the power of my soldering iron ,I have one that is 30 W.

Shall I get one with better power?

Something that perhaps should help as well is to change the tip of the soldering iron.

Any advise?

Just put a little solder on top of the DJI solder points and let it cool. Put some flux on your PMU wire and re-melt your solder. This should secure the PMU wires and you should get a power connection. I actually used an XT60 power plug for my PMU but if I had to do it over again I would have just done a JST connection and soldered that to the DJI power leads.

Just put a little solder on top of the DJI solder points and let it cool. Put some flux on your PMU wire and re-melt your solder. This should secure the PMU wires and you should get a power connection. I actually used an XT60 power plug for my PMU but if I had to do it over again I would have just done a JST connection and soldered that to the DJI power leads.

OK, so i guess it is save to solder a new soldering point on an esisiting one, im a beginner when it comes to soldering. I also thought about an XT60 Harness and solder one end to the PMU, the other one for the Lipo because soldering two cable ends sounds easy.

Now to the X3 cable problem, ive heard the X3 cable is only for powering up the Naza Controller! So it doesnt matter what X3 cable you plug in, the old or the new. Does that make sense?

Daninho said:

OK, so i guess it is save to solder a new soldering point on an esisiting one, im a beginner when it comes to soldering. I also thought about an XT60 Harness and solder one end to the PMU, the other one for the Lipo because soldering two cable ends sounds easy.

Now to the X3 cable problem, ive heard the X3 cable is only for powering up the Naza Controller! So it doesnt matter what X3 cable you plug in, the old or the new. Does that make sense?

I have just fitted the OSD Mini and PMU V2, did not enjoy the soldering, if you get it wrong the main feed to the board will fail! Anyway I have managed to solder it. I have removed the X3 connector and replaced with the one on the PMU. Very tricky getting it all into the body as I have a Spektrum AR8000 which takes up some space. The OSD is working okay but it does produce a whiteish line across the screen where the figures are, and the left and right figures look a bit out of focus. Anyone else noticed this?

Dave Pitman said:
I did not have that issue. Did you have a clean picture before adding the iOSD?

Yes the picture was perfect and still is apart from these foggy white lines behind the iOSD text. I am using Fatshark attitude goggles with a Gopro Hero 3. Haven't flown it with the iOSD yet but I dont think it will be to much of a problem. Only thing I haven't tried is changing the camera setting from pal to ntsc.

Turbiner said:
Yes the picture was perfect and still is apart from these foggy white lines behind the iOSD text. I am using Fatshark attitude goggles with a Gopro Hero 3. Haven't flown it with the iOSD yet but I dont think it will be to much of a problem. Only thing I haven't tried is changing the camera setting from pal to ntsc.

The OSD text was uniform and pretty clear in my FS Dominators.

Dave Pitman said:
Turbiner said:

The OSD text was uniform and pretty clear in my FS Dominators.

As you are in the US, I expect you would be using NTSC, just wondering if the OSD might look different in the PAL mode. I will try it and see.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic