First Crash - Unexplained too :/ help?

Reaction score
I've had about 80 successful flights between my two phantoms. I bought a P2V+ in July of 2014 and a new P2 with H4B about a month ago. I've flow the new P2 enough times to be very confident with the system, and eliminate "out-of-the-box" issues and fear of mechanical errors, etc. On Friday evening I went to a park I had flown before, quickly unpacked everything, calibrated, had like 8-9 satellites, and took off. I didn't do enough testing at low altitude, and took right off towards higher skies.

Within 2-3 seconds, the bird was going crazy. It was like up (ascend) was sideways, bc my altitude left stick seemed to just send the P2 head-first sideways; a maneuver i could never replicate myself while flying in GPS mode. It was terrible and within a few seconds it had come down hard on the pavement maybe 150feet away. I didn't have time to react to try for switching to manual mode or turning off the transmitter for RTH. I realize these things could have saved me but it happened so fast :/

The question is, why did it crash? It's amazing but the P2 actually still flies okay, and the body isnt damaged at all really, the motors and LEDs work fine, etc. I took off multiple times and flew around my apartment in ATTI on Saturday. I absolutely cannot believe it still flies bc if you saw the destroyed Zenmuse and destroyed Hero4, you would never believe it can fly. So RC / transmitter issues are ruled out here. It must have been radio interference or satellite issues. But I have flown this location before, clearing my mind of radio issues? So therefore, satellite connection issue? I have heard of not having a really good lock and the GPS system being confused about Phantom 2 true position and this resulting in crashes and flyaways?

I calibrated in the middle of the park field but there was a suspicious manhole about 10 feet from me. No I did not read the manhole cover or anything, but I did not calibrate on top of it, like I said, 10 feet away. Ughhhhh I dunno what do think about everything but this crash is at least $1k in damages. I probably won't have the confidence to fly it in any serious fashion again though.

Thoughts? Thanks!!!

PS http://imgur.com/vW0Irwh this ******* has a huge antenna on his house, its about 500 feet away. Any concern??

Last edited:
Does make one wonder who's the bigger AHOLE here!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Reactions: TeamYankee
The guy just trashed his baby. Try and have a little sympathy guys. You would be upset too.

Reactions: dirkclod
The guy just trashed his baby. Try and have a little sympathy guys. You would be upset too.

That's life. There was no need for him to call a ham radio operator for having an antenna in his yard an AHOLE because he broke his toy either. Most stores carry crying towels.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeamYankee
Feel free to vent my friend I feel your pain. I do have concerns as I no longer fly in residential areas as I consider each house another wifi signal. Coupled with a ham radio operator and cell towers and you can say you are definitely in a not so friendly area. at least your bird can still fly I've seen much worse.

Quite a few people have posted up that their phantoms have gone haywire, probably down to failing escs or motors. That ham radio enthusiast could have been the culprit, but i don't think 2.4 ghz is used for amateur radio.

In the US, ham radio operators are allowed in the 2.4GHz as well as 5.8GHz bands:
I also take exception to being wrapped in the label called 'A-Hole'.

All modes and licensees (except Novices) are authorized on the following bands [FCC Rules, Part 97.301(a)]:
2300-2310 MHz
2390-2450 MHz
3300-3500 MHz
5650-5925 MHz
10.0-10.5 GHz
24.0-24.25 GHz
47.0-47.2 GHz
76.0-81.0 GHz*
122.25 -123.00 GHz
134-141 GHz
241-250 GHz
All above 300 GHz

Looks like the ham operator has some UHF stuff (bigger antenna) and maybe a 2-meter (144 MHz) and 440MHz stuff. 2.4GHz is largely unused by most hams. None I know, including myself, do anything on the 13cm bands.

You guys are getting caught up in the a-hole comment which was a joke and not even directed at an individual on this forum or the internet, so chill and please stay on topic. I guess I really should get a spectrum analyser if I'll be anywhere close to an urban setting? I know professional aerial teams fly in environments where interference can be in place. how do they have confidence before they fly? im terrified now :/

Also keep in mind i did not experience a mechanical issue whatsoever. The P2 still flies fine! ESCs and motors and RC transmitter connection still great. I flew inside my apartment in ATTI exclusively to check this bc I thought my controller malfunctioned. Thank you

Feel free to vent my friend I feel your pain. I do have concerns as I no longer fly in residential areas as I consider each house another wifi signal. Coupled with a ham radio operator and cell towers and you can say you are definitely in a not so friendly area. at least your bird can still fly I've seen much worse.

I know but my $500+ Hero4B and Zenmuse H4-3D is totally gone :/ ughhhh

I understand the proper solution to this is not to fly in urban settings or in precarious environments. But just like we see here, you can have some random infrastructure or something else that you may not even see or know about, so there must be alternative methods to protect yourself. Lots of people push urban settings to get those good "risky" shots, and I'm sure I'll be in these situations in the future. I need to get a radio spectrum analyser or something to aid in this.

I am dubious about this being radio interference. There was something very similar reported about 6 months back by some guy flying on remote beach, with little chance of RF interference. The group wisdom then was that there was an issue with the IMU calibration. In fairness, he was holding the quad while it "warmed up" , which I guess you don't do.

I agree about the dubious suspicion.

The DJI DESST protocol is a carbon-copy, if not 100% compatable of/with Futaba's FASST.
One of the best r/c comm. protocols in use today.

If you have a P2 non-V (2.4ghz) you can bind with any Futaba FASST Tx.

Last edited:
Seems so...the FAA is chasing some poor guy for posting YouTube PV2 videos of his beach vacation. His name is Jayson Hanes. Google search "FAA warns YouTubers".
Great use of our taxpayer dollars.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic