First cold flight

Reaction score
Well my p4p has gone to push up the daisies. I was a little nervous with my new one on a cold day but they aren’t made to stay on the ground. Tried to take a photo while I was videoing but when I went to see them each photo was an 8 sec video. This is just a screen shot. Didn’t go very high. Lol
IMG_0260.jpg
IMG_0255.jpg
IMG_0259.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 146
Terry....nice captures and in the last picture.....i tryed to find you down their holding the RC unit......are you their below ?

If you have extra batterys..keep them inside your jacket to keep them warm...and if you fly with a cold battery its best to take off and hover 5 feet off the ground for a few minutes so battery can warm up....cold batterys have a much lower capacity till warmed up.

Don't know how is with yours but at my older P3A I had to stop video when I took the photo.
At P4P+ I don't need to do so.
And yes, some pictures are automatically saved on remote but in low res. on the memory card there are full sized.

Reactions: Terrycross
Not trying to start an argument ... but if the battery is warm enough to take-off - its warm enough to fly. Its a 'myth' that has become 'fact' similar to the Deep Discharge subject. There is no need to hover than for a few seconds or so to check drone is in control.

If the battery was going to fail - 5 feet or 50 feet is not going to make any difference

The DJI drone especially in the Phantom series has a battery box and that itself helps to keep battery warmth contained. Its not like many RC models where we actually try to vent battery areas to cool the batterys !!

I have to laugh at the ages of the posters here on Phantom Pilots. The mavic forum is like a kids playhouse now with the MM release. Just opened my mini and getting ready to fly. It's going to be different, so tiny, and looks flimsy, hope I'm wrong. Long Live Phantoms. ?
Sorry, off topic

Not trying to start an argument ... but if the battery is warm enough to take-off - its warm enough to fly. Its a 'myth' that has become 'fact' similar to the Deep Discharge subject. There is no need to hover than for a few seconds or so to check drone is in control.

If the battery was going to fail - 5 feet or 50 feet is not going to make any difference

The DJI drone especially in the Phantom series has a battery box and that itself helps to keep battery warmth contained. Its not like many RC models where we actually try to vent battery areas to cool the batterys !!

My Goodness your a myth Buster then......However cold or Not...i Like to take off and check out the flight controls and re check the battery percentage level..Just to be sure of ever thing before I take the drone UP to 350 feet High over concrete its Sortah my Airborne flight checks after i did one before i got the motor all spinning well i call it a on the ground safety check...its better to be safe then sorry do you agree ?

Gee...id rather by standers and police officers see a Drone take Off and know it was a Drone and not a four bladed white ^ Rocket ^ !
Never ever forget.....We that fly drones are Ambassadors from the drone world and its best to be a safe owner that sets good example to the people that are very interested to own one...i seen a guy fly a DJI P3 3 years ago...and he was very safe...after that ....i wanted one !

Reactions: tunadoctor
Just got back from a day with my family in Toronto. Thus the late return on a return.. Yes always smart to be safe. Thanks cap. Nice to be back.

Last edited:
Ok. Quick update. It wasn't the cold I was concerned with. Shouldn't have used the word in the post. Sorry. It was the fact that it was first up with a new (used) aircraft that replaced my P4P after a crash. First loss of a drone so just a little nervous. And as soon as I get some good weather she will be up again. Have fun fly safe. [emoji106]

Well....my concern was with the " cold weather flying " post i did a few messages UP at #9 post because we probably have a bunch of new drone owners here and they need to know about the battery's and the "3" links i shared above are 100% proof about the dealing with a battery in cold to severe cold weather......its all about having a safe flight UP......around.......and.......back down.....last winter a Canadian flew his drone outside when it was zero ...and created a thread about it with a video too !

Reactions: KachemakDiver
Well....my concern was with the " cold weather flying " post i did a few messages UP at #9 post because we probably have a bunch of new drone owners here and they need to know about the battery's and the "3" links i shared above are 100% proof about the dealing with a battery in cold to severe cold weather......its all about having a safe flight UP......around.......and.......back down.....last winter a Canadian flew his drone outside when it was zero ...and created a thread about it with a video too !
Could that have been me? Lol

I have to laugh at the ages of the posters here on Phantom Pilots. The mavic forum is like a kids playhouse now with the MM release. Just opened my mini and getting ready to fly. It's going to be different, so tiny, and looks flimsy, hope I'm wrong. Long Live Phantoms. ?
Sorry, off topic

I just noticed the ages. At 62 I fit right in. After sending my P2V to a watery grave I'm on my second P3A. My first P3A decided to become a lumberjack on it's last flight. I'm pretty sure a prop came off in flight. Everything indicates a defective prop before the encounter with the trees.

Terry....nice captures and in the last picture.....i tryed to find you down their holding the RC unit......are you their below ?

If you have extra batterys..keep them inside your jacket to keep them warm...and if you fly with a cold battery its best to take off and hover 5 feet off the ground for a few minutes so battery can warm up....cold batterys have a much lower capacity till warmed up.
Follow the footprints from the car in the snow. Is he under the tree at the bottom of the photo?

Reactions: Terrycross

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav