firmware update P3S

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently got a P3S as part of a trade deal with a friend for an RC 8th scale buggy. While I am happy with my end of the deal, the previous owner warned me not to do the firmware update on the bird as it would ruin it and restrict any flights I may have.

Every time I connect my phone, its constantly bugging me for this update.

Can anyone explain what it does that is so bad, and if it does brick it, what can I do about it?

Regards
Gareth

Many people have had bad experiences by updating their firmware. I personally have mine up to date and haven’t had any problems with mine, but as the saying goes: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Try using the Litchi app. It should not give you any pop ups askeing for updates.

When it comes to FW updates, it's best to not rush it... esp. on a 'new-to-you' Phantom.

If it flies well right now, just put up with the annoying reminders for a while... do some reading here, go into the Settings menu of Go and find the current versions of all FW and write it down. You many need it later if an update screws up something and you have to downgrade. Learn all you can about your model of Phantom, and...

Look before you leap :)

Thanks for the comments guys. I think I will for now ignore the reminders to update, at least untill I am used to flying it around. I will say, flying this is way different to racing my nitro radio controlled buggy.

However, excuse my ignorance, but what is the Litchi app?

I have had my phantom 3 for 2 years and have not upgraded firmware. If it ain’t broke why upgrade. Others have upgraded with no problems. I choose not to upgrade at what cost and for what benefit?
Litchi is an after market operating software to operate your drone other then the go app offered by dji. It offers more features , but it’s not a free app. Have no experience using it, but again I’m a hobbyist, not professional photographer . Hth

Reactions: Turboshed
Well I took the plunge today and updated the firmware on the P3s, everything went well, updated fine.

I took it to my local flying spot with the expectation that the bird wouldn't go more than 60 feet away from me and 40 feet up. Had no issues there. What I did run into though was video transmission back to the RC wasn't great and was getting signal lost quite a lot as well, triggering return to home on several occasions. Its possible it might have been the RC as it wasn't fully charged. I dont think this is really going to effect my enjoyment too much as for the most part I'll by flying fairly close by.

Well I took the plunge today and updated the firmware on the P3s, everything went well, updated fine.

I took it to my local flying spot with the expectation that the bird wouldn't go more than 60 feet away from me and 40 feet up. Had no issues there. What I did run into though was video transmission back to the RC wasn't great and was getting signal lost quite a lot as well, triggering return to home on several occasions. Its possible it might have been the RC as it wasn't fully charged. I dont think this is really going to effect my enjoyment too much as for the most part I'll by flying fairly close by.
Hi you are upgrading and I have spent hours days and weeks downgrading as you get to know things about the dji you may well find you will be doing the same in chines dji terms upgrading is downgrading and downgrading is upgrading and of course you may start looking at the magic 5 software at some point. but walk before you run. my 79-year-old dad has not long moved to the litchi app but is still running old firmware,litchi does not keep pestering you to upgrade which put me off the dji go app. which is no longer installed on my phone. my best daz

Reactions: Turboshed
Hi you are upgrading and I have spent hours days and weeks downgrading as you get to know things about the dji you may well find you will be doing the same in chines dji terms upgrading is downgrading and downgrading is upgrading and of course you may start looking at the magic 5 software at some point. but walk before you run. my 79-year-old dad has not long moved to the litchi app but is still running old firmware,litchi does not keep pestering you to upgrade which put me off the dji go app. which is no longer installed on my phone. my best daz

That's interesting. Though the signal losses where mostly at the 1000 feet mark, where priort to update, I got to 1376 feet, with a good video feed, now it disconnects and screen goes black or video cuts off all together.
I also heard the firmware can't be downgraded from this revision.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31