Should I Update Firmware?

Reaction score
I recently acquired a used P3S that was stranded in the woods. I bought a controller and loaded the app on my smart device. Now it flies great. Should I update the firmware? The app says "Latest Firmware." Does that mean I am up to date?

I read HERE about updating it, but it seems sparse about the P3S procedure (only pg. 1 pertains to the P3S and is brief).

Note, my smart device (an old Kindle 7 HDX) is running an outdated version of the app (the very first version of the app). In fact, I had to dig around Google to find the old app, and then side load the Kindle. It won't run the newest app version because my Kindle is too old. So I'm not sure if that will affect a firmware update in any way.

I have seen a few horror stories where folks updated and the drone then acted crazy. So I'm not sure if I can (because I'm running an old app on an old device) or if I should.

I'm curious of folks' feedback.

Have a look at Professional - Pro 3.
If the old app on your kindle works with the drone then, at least until you have flown a few times, why change anything?
If you find you like the drone and flying and find you want, or need, a faster screen etc. then you can look into changing the device at some point in the future

Last edited by a moderator:
You should spend a week doing research before any update that can’t be reversed.
Touche! With any electric device that I've sought to update firmware with, I've never taken it lightly. I usually apply the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I'm fully aware of the ramifications if it goes wrong. That's why I asked here if it was even needed or if I already had the latest.

You should spend a week doing research before any update that can’t be reversed.
*Starz...can't firmware be down graded to the older one that you had before the update was installed.......I have read about it here and on Dji's site by drone owners !

I recently acquired a used P3S that was stranded in the woods. I bought a controller and loaded the app on my smart device. Now it flies great. Should I update the firmware? The app says "Latest Firmware." Does that mean I am up to date?

I read HERE about updating it, but it seems sparse about the P3S procedure (only pg. 1 pertains to the P3S and is brief).

Note, my smart device (an old Kindle 7 HDX) is running an outdated version of the app (the very first version of the app). In fact, I had to dig around Google to find the old app, and then side load the Kindle. It won't run the newest app version because my Kindle is too old. So I'm not sure if that will affect a firmware update in any way.

I have seen a few horror stories where folks updated and the drone then acted crazy. So I'm not sure if I can (because I'm running an old app on an old device) or if I should.

I'm curious of folks' feedback.
If you plan any modifications in the future like a lot of people do. It means sadly going backward with update dji updates take away not add to the enjoyment of the dji and I would look at getting litchi app at some point

DJI no longer makes or supports the Phantom 3 series (except for repair). So what would an update possibly do? It wouldn't be to improve functionality - only add to the no-fly zone and geo-fencing, possibly limiting your flights even more. Some report successful updates (though no real improvement - just still works); other updates disabled the Phantom. The risk is yours. As others have said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Reactions: captainmilehigh
DJI no longer makes or supports the Phantom 3 series (except for repair). So what would an update possibly do? It wouldn't be to improve functionality - only add to the no-fly zone and geo-fencing, possibly limiting your flights even more. Some report successful updates (though no real improvement - just still works); other updates disabled the Phantom. The risk is yours. As others have said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Gotta agree. Both my P3's have been on older than dirt firmware 1.5.07 and DJIGo 3.0.0 for over 4 years now with no issues.

The app still hounds me to update firmware. But why would I want to? All the update does is add that pesky GeoFencing starting with 1.6.08 version. (I know, I downgraded back to 1.5.07 from 1.6.08)

Not worth the hassle. Just fly within guidelines and all is well.

DJI can fix my Phantom 3 if it breaks, but like @NM_Quad and others including me have said.....'if it ain't broke..........'.

Your call, but if it flys great, charge up the batteries and fly on.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj