Finally had a chat with "authority."

Age has everything to do with it... I’m retired military and it was at one time policy that you treat all civilians with respect due to them particularly older civilians. Greet them, “Good morning, (day, evening, etc.) sir or ma’am.” State your purpose, request or command. If they are in compliance or moving into compliance you wait, (landing a drone takes a minute or two, Ranger Rick had plenty of time to chat with the OP and come off as a nice person.) Not everything in the civilian world moves at the speed of the military. (Small joke there...) Exhibit patience, kindness and civility in your dealings with civilians. That’s drummed into your head in hundreds of briefings and rightly so.
They pay our bills, sign the checks, and their civil society is ostensibly what we have signed up to protect, sometimes at a very high cost. It’s why it’s called service. We are ready and willing to sacrifice much but we don’t need to be dicks about it.
Thank you. It seems respect has been lost by most.

Reactions: jlrsn and bad karma
Here in Maine, all state parks offer a "Special Activity Permit" required for many things, including flying a drone. I was also quoted that the fee for the permit, if it is awarded, is $500 USD. (drumming fingers on desk). I personally know of noone who has obtained one, but perhaps that not saying much at all. There is also aviation law that says you cannot fly lower than 2000 ft AGL over a state park. This is a hot topic of debate/discussion as a UAV can take off and land potentially outside of state park or wildlife refuge land and perhaps overfly this area IF, and BIG IF, this 2000 foot law does not apply to UAVs. The lawyers lie in wait to tackle this methinks.

A lot of this gray-ness will go away once Remote Identification becomes a reality (if it ever does, but it does solve a lot of gov. probs) - even more debate.
I'm only guessing here, but I'm betting the fine is less :)

Reactions: bad karma
Age has everything to do with it... I’m retired military and it was at one time policy that you treat all civilians with respect due to them particularly older civilians. Greet them, “Good morning, (day, evening, etc.) sir or ma’am.” State your purpose, request or command. If they are in compliance or moving into compliance you wait, (landing a drone takes a minute or two, Ranger Rick had plenty of time to chat with the OP and come off as a nice person.) Not everything in the civilian world moves at the speed of the military. (Small joke there...) Exhibit patience, kindness and civility in your dealings with civilians. That’s drummed into your head in hundreds of briefings and rightly so.
They pay our bills, sign the checks, and their civil society is ostensibly what we have signed up to protect, sometimes at a very high cost. It’s why it’s called service. We are ready and willing to sacrifice much but we don’t need to be dicks about it.
Thank you. Exactly my thoughts, and you stated them eloquently.

This is just one of the MANY reasons I NO LONGER live in Wisconsin and Never will again. The DNR (Department of Natural Resources) are nothing short of a BUNCH of #######!
Well you know what they say, "What the good lord giveth, the DNR taketh away."

Well it is up to all of us as operators to make sure we know the laws before we fly and that we are flying in a safe and legal manner at all times. It is a shame that any person in authority has some sort of attitude as they approach and greets you with anything less than civility. However unfortunately it does happen not only with people in authoritative positions but simple store clerks have bad days it doesn't excuse the behavior but again had you not been operating illegally it appears the situation would not have occurred perhaps had you found the Ranger and spoke with them before flying this could have all been averted. Not making excuses for him as I have had my run-ins with the law enforcement with bad attitudes for something simple and they were in the wrong. Just my two cents worth

This is an interesting case. I think there are two separate issues here. I'm not going to get into the age of the local law enforcement officer. This is not so cut and dry.

It is true that we must "follow the rules" and that's even a question on the 107 exam. Anti-authoritarianism is a trait that the FAA does not like, like impulsiveness and machoism.

If you are flying in a place where a local authority has prohibited flying, I would expect to draw both unwanted attention from law enforcement and a fine. It's not something I would do just because I find it very unpleasant in general when being on the wrong side of local law enforcement.

It is a separate issue whether this Wisconsin prohibition on flying in state parks is a valid law. Every law has to have a rational basis and what is the rational basis for the Wisconsin ban? What public purpose is that blanket ban serving? The law is invalid if there is no rational basis.

Separately is the question of whether Wisconsin even has the right to ban an otherwise authorized aircraft from state park airspace. It seems to me that the only the FAA has jurisdiction over Wisconsin state park airspace. I don't think that Wisconsin could ban other FAA regulated aircraft like ultra-lights or Cessnas or air balloons over WI state park airspace so it would not make sense that they could ban an FAA regulated UAS being flown properly either under the recreational exception or Part 107.

The precedent concerns me, because I live in the US west where a blanket restriction on flying in state parks would take away millions of acres of public land (and much of it very remote and film-worthy) airspace from drone operators. I think that while we need to obviously follow the local laws that exist, we should be careful as drone operators about ceding airspace to local jurisdictions.

I've flown - safe and sane - in Wisconsin state parks and forests and riverways for 5 years now. I've come across rangers who never had any problems and were even interested and asked me to demonstrate for them. Yesterday, at Devil's Lake State Park, I thought I'd get some aerial shots of a huge Native American effigy mound in the shape of a man-bird. Nobody was around the mound and I kept my entire flight immediately above it. I had pretty much got all my shots and was in the high 20% on the battery so I was already bringing it in when a ranger showed up and told me to bring it in. I told him I was doing just that, and he told me again to bring it in. I asked him if I hadn't just said that.

He proceeded to inform me that quadcopters and the like aren't allowed in any state parks in WI. Couldn't have told you that based on previous rangers' reactions... but I was landing anyway.

Just bugged me that I was being totally cooperative and civil, and yet he felt the need to push the order he gave. Part of the problem is my difficulty with authority figures young enough to be my kids.

Oh well. I put it away and he went off and hassled someone else for using too much charcoal on the grills or something.

:)
As stated, Babcock sp. has a specific time for drones to fly. There are no problems or concerns as yet. Outsiders are the biggest problems with their ideology. I love this state.

I think we just need to start contacting my legislators that we want to fly and state and federal parks that there is no good reason why we cannot if we fly in a safe and professional manner and follow the rules like a previous poster said there are millions of Acres of national parks and I do not believe drone flying is a detriment to them. But the only way this will change is through the legislative process which means we need to start stepping up.

Reactions: Apilot101
I think we just need to start contacting my legislators that we want to fly and state and federal parks that there is no good reason why we cannot if we fly in a safe and professional manner and follow the rules like a previous poster said there are millions of Acres of national parks and I do not believe drone flying is a detriment to them. But the only way this will change is through the legislative process which means we need to start stepping up.

I don’t imagine there will ever be a time where drones will be allowed in federal parks. It somewhat goes against the entire point of the park in the first place. It’s supposed to essentially be a memorilization of untouched wild. Having a loud noise buzzing through the sky is in direct contrast with the overall purpose of the park. It seems reasonable to me.

I;ve found the Rangers that police our conservation areas here in Ontario Canada, usually more than willing to help a drone flyer out. Example, I fly at least once a week at one minutes from my home & if there is no one around, they let me take off from the parking lot, if there are people/cars in the lot they've given us a vacant area, to take off from, about a 10 minute walk away from the parking lot.
In return for their patience, we don't even try to fly there on weekends when you know all the dog walkers, Horse people will be all over the park.
Nice arrangement

Reactions: Nightwolf
This is an interesting case. I think there are two separate issues here. I'm not going to get into the age of the local law enforcement officer. This is not so cut and dry.

It is true that we must "follow the rules" and that's even a question on the 107 exam. Anti-authoritarianism is a trait that the FAA does not like, like impulsiveness and machoism.

If you are flying in a place where a local authority has prohibited flying, I would expect to draw both unwanted attention from law enforcement and a fine. It's not something I would do just because I find it very unpleasant in general when being on the wrong side of local law enforcement.

It is a separate issue whether this Wisconsin prohibition on flying in state parks is a valid law. Every law has to have a rational basis and what is the rational basis for the Wisconsin ban? What public purpose is that blanket ban serving? The law is invalid if there is no rational basis.

Separately is the question of whether Wisconsin even has the right to ban an otherwise authorized aircraft from state park airspace. It seems to me that the only the FAA has jurisdiction over Wisconsin state park airspace. I don't think that Wisconsin could ban other FAA regulated aircraft like ultra-lights or Cessnas or air balloons over WI state park airspace so it would not make sense that they could ban an FAA regulated UAS being flown properly either under the recreational exception or Part 107.

The precedent concerns me, because I live in the US west where a blanket restriction on flying in state parks would take away millions of acres of public land (and much of it very remote and film-worthy) airspace from drone operators. I think that while we need to obviously follow the local laws that exist, we should be careful as drone operators about ceding airspace to local jurisdictions.
We are not allowed to take off or land in our state parks. The FAA controls the airspace so yes, you can fly into our state parks, just do it from outside the parks boundary.

He could have been worse..... After all, Flying in state parks is not allowed.

Now wait I could be wrong but it is not against any FAA rules nor DNR rules to fly in a state or federal park. What is not allowed is landing or launching in these areas. Only the FAA can control airspace not parks so you can technically do a fly over just like an airplane or helicopter just not touch down.

Yes?

As I mentioned earlier, the FAA also prohibits overflight by aircraft of state and national parks below 2000 ft AGL. Does it apply to UAS? Hmm? Does it? Do you know the facts? I certainly don't in this case. And even though the fine might be less than the fee for the permit, I DON'T want it on my record personally. Your mileage may vary.

Since it is a felony to shoot down an aircraft or cause it to crash (including UAVs), it's quite possible the 2000 ft. AGL rule applies to UAS.

I've flown - safe and sane - in Wisconsin state parks and forests and riverways for 5 years now. I've come across rangers who never had any problems and were even interested and asked me to demonstrate for them. Yesterday, at Devil's Lake State Park, I thought I'd get some aerial shots of a huge Native American effigy mound in the shape of a man-bird. Nobody was around the mound and I kept my entire flight immediately above it. I had pretty much got all my shots and was in the high 20% on the battery so I was already bringing it in when a ranger showed up and told me to bring it in. I told him I was doing just that, and he told me again to bring it in. I asked him if I hadn't just said that.

He proceeded to inform me that quadcopters and the like aren't allowed in any state parks in WI. Couldn't have told you that based on previous rangers' reactions... but I was landing anyway.

Just bugged me that I was being totally cooperative and civil, and yet he felt the need to push the order he gave. Part of the problem is my difficulty with authority figures young enough to be my kids.

Oh well. I put it away and he went off and hassled someone else for using too much charcoal on the grills or something.

:)
Yep, it's always a hitch when the authorities catch you breaking the law and aren't all nice about it. You fly, it's your responsibility to know where you can legally fly. Instead of not being nice, he should have just cited you.

I don’t imagine there will ever be a time where drones will be allowed in federal parks. It somewhat goes against the entire point of the park in the first place. It’s supposed to essentially be a memorilization of untouched wild. Having a loud noise buzzing through the sky is in direct contrast with the overall purpose of the park. It seems reasonable to me.
The park exists with taxpayer dollars. Prove that drones impact the environment. Automobiles in the parks,radios make as much noise. Imho

Gosh, I’m confused. I thought I did a search of rules before a recent vacation in Door County Wisconsin. I took a sectional chart for airport locations, but I don’t remember State Parks being NFZ. If I go back, where is that law/regulation/guideline written.

The park exists with taxpayer dollars. Prove that drones impact the environment. Automobiles in the parks,radios make as much noise. Imho

I don’t think I have to prove drones are loud, anybody who has flown one can verify that fact. The main complaint is the noise. Beyond that there are concerns over keeping the beauty of the park. In some cases, their use has resulted in noise and nuisance complaints from park visitors, park visitor safety concerns, and one documented incident in which park wildlife were harassed. Small drones have crashed in geysers in Yellowstone National Park, attempted to land on the features of Mount Rushmore National Memorial and been lost over the edge of the Grand Canyon. The National Park Service embraces many activities in national parks because they enhance visitor experiences with the iconic natural, historic and cultural landscapes in our care. Also, you can’t blare your radio at a park or drive your car anywhere you want through it. All of those rules are specifically designed to maintain the peaceful tranquility of national parks.

Gosh, I’m confused. I thought I did a search of rules before a recent vacation in Door County Wisconsin. I took a sectional chart for airport locations, but I don’t remember State Parks being NFZ. If I go back, where is that law/regulation/guideline written.
You can search but I doubt you’ll find that prohibition because states don’t control airspace. They can prohibit the launch or landing of drones but that’s about it. If the FAA doesn’t prohibit your flight there’s not much anyone can do about it.

Well, believe it or not, it never even occurred to me that day, particularly after having flown in state parks before with no problem... even interest on the part of the rangers. To be fair, the previous time, it was in fall at a lake. There were no other people around, so the rangers may have determined that it was not worth enforcing; but because of that, it honestly hadn't dawned on me to check before this past visit. It seemed to me that it was OK.

I was once pulled over for crossing the double yellow line to avoid rumble strips that would have woken up my baby in the car seat. It was clear, straight, daylight, not another car in sight... and I never even imagined it was a traffic offense. Luckily, THIS cop was realistic, we talked about it, he gave me a verbal warning, and we were on our way. Now I know.... in both cases.

Reactions: bad karma

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl