Finally had a chat with "authority."

I’m not a fan of the paramilitary styles in Law Enforcement either. It’s not the signal I’d want to send to the public nor to the officerws themselves.

I’m not a fan of the paramilitary styles in Law Enforcement either. It’s not the signal I’d want to send to the public nor to the officerws themselves.

Well, I’m not the OP so there’s that...

If I remember correctly, I mentioned that after I said I was bringing it down (and it was obvious that it was headed toward me), he repeated the "order." He'd already stated that I had to bring it in... I said I was, and he said something along the lines of "Well, just land it now." That's the part that was unnecessary, and after the first more-or-less polite request to land, there was no need to repeat it as an order. I not only said I was in the process of landing when he arrived, it was also obvious. You can see in the video that I'm landing AS he was walking up to us.

The age thing was a secondary thought, where I said I had trouble with kids being authority figures....

I could interpret his comment as younger people expecting to be treated badly by the authorities. If that's the case, they have my sympathy. That's not a good way to grow up. Of course, in my younger days, the cops didn't wear combat boots and shave their heads either.
I have MANY stories. Not the place for it, here. But any distrust that I have now for folks wearing badges I promise you has been taught to me harshly via multiple experiences spanning many decades. There are many here who have had zero negative experience with law enforcement and so I suppose that it is natural for them to hold folks like myself in disbelief, or for them to assume that we had it coming somehow. I'm delighted for their fortune, but that is as ignorant as it is insulting.

Try to keep an open mind. There are some folks out there who really shouldn't be wearing a uniform, along with a few who are generally not bad but who are more apt to let their day to day issues affect their work. And it's awfully difficult to get rid of the bad ones.

As I mentioned earlier, the FAA also prohibits overflight by aircraft of state and national parks below 2000 ft AGL.

This is common misconception.

The FAA only requests that VFR flights do not go lower than 2,000 ALG in certain areas .

See AIM 7-4-6, “Flights Over Charted U.S. Wildlife Refuges, Parks, and Forest Service Areas” and advisory AC91-36c.

Of course other areas like the ones just south of Santa Barbara, CA (KSBA) that are part of the NOAA Regulated National Marine Sanctuary Designated Areas are a whole different ballgame.

Reactions: Avocet
I've flown - safe and sane - in Wisconsin state parks and forests and riverways for 5 years now. I've come across rangers who never had any problems and were even interested and asked me to demonstrate for them. Yesterday, at Devil's Lake State Park, I thought I'd get some aerial shots of a huge Native American effigy mound in the shape of a man-bird. Nobody was around the mound and I kept my entire flight immediately above it. I had pretty much got all my shots and was in the high 20% on the battery so I was already bringing it in when a ranger showed up and told me to bring it in. I told him I was doing just that, and he told me again to bring it in. I asked him if I hadn't just said that.

He proceeded to inform me that quadcopters and the like aren't allowed in any state parks in WI. Couldn't have told you that based on previous rangers' reactions... but I was landing anyway.

Just bugged me that I was being totally cooperative and civil, and yet he felt the need to push the order he gave. Part of the problem is my difficulty with authority figures young enough to be my kids.

Oh well. I put it away and he went off and hassled someone else for using too much charcoal on the grills or something.

:)

"he felt the need to push..."

If he felt he needed to push you would have left with a citation and receipt for your bird.

Sounds like you got off easy.

Reactions: BigAl07
"he felt the need to push..."

If he felt he needed to push you would have left with a citation and receipt for your bird.

Sounds like you got off easy.
Respect My Authoritah!.gif

I have MANY stories. Not the place for it, here. But any distrust that I have now for folks wearing badges I promise you has been taught to me harshly via multiple experiences spanning many decades. There are many here who have had zero negative experience with law enforcement and so I suppose that it is natural for them to hold folks like myself in disbelief, or for them to assume that we had it coming somehow. I'm delighted for their fortune, but that is as ignorant as it is insulting.

Try to keep an open mind. There are some folks out there who really shouldn't be wearing a uniform, along with a few who are generally not bad but who are more apt to let their day to day issues affect their work. And it's awfully difficult to get rid of the bad ones.

Couldn't agree more with your post.

I've known plenty of people from high school who went on to become military or cops. Trust me when I say these are the kinds of people who have fragile egos who need a gun and a uniform to feel important around others. Lots of insecurity in the minds of these people, and that's a bad thing with mixed with authority and access to deadly weapons.

We are not allowed to take off or land in our state parks. The FAA controls the airspace so yes, you can fly into our state parks, just do it from outside the parks boundary.

yeah, I just don't wanna end up being a defendant in some piddly Wisconsin court

Reactions: bad karma
I've known plenty of people from high school who went on to become military or cops. Trust me when I say these are the kinds of people who have fragile egos who need a gun and a uniform to feel important around others. Lots of insecurity in the minds of these people, and that's a bad thing with mixed with authority and access to deadly weapons.
And PLENTY who serve proudly and with honor who exhibit NONE of these characteristics.

Be careful while using that broad brush to paint things.

And PLENTY who serve proudly and with honor who exhibit NONE of these characteristics.

like most people, I’ve seen both, in service and on police forces across the country and around the world. I’ll stand our military and police forces up against any others anywhere on the planet.

like most people, I’ve seen both, in service and on police forces across the country and around the world. I’ll stand our military and police forces up against any others anywhere on the planet.
Sure. I mean, you rarely hear about the good experiences. Like most scenarios, I expect (and hope) that the majority are sensible and know how and when to use their authority. This goes for teachers, too... and lots of other positions right down to your boss at work.

Typically your teachers and boss at work aren't armed.

Why aren't there standardized psychological testing for people we entrust with deadly weapons and the authority to use them?

My guess is they couldn't get enough people who want the job and can pass the test to fill the ranks.

Well, as a former teacher, I came to the opinion that like cops (and politicians), a lot of those that are, shouldn't be... and a lot of those that would be good at it, want nothing to do with it. They're both important jobs and if the pay matched the importance (politics not included), maybe it would attract the better candidates. Again, a generalization, I know, but there's truth to it.

As far as psychological testing, I have a relative that should be nowhere near firearms... and - you guessed it - he's a cop! Since before I even knew what it meant, I knew he was anything but stable.

Yes sir you are 100% correct. No different than saying, "All drone operators are rogue anti-regulations hot shots who only want to be peeping toms and carry contraband into prisons."

Lot's in this thread. Been chased out of the Everglades by a KooKoo Ranger that photographed my P3 with the numbers on the fuselage.:eek:There are those that lurk waiting to attack someone for any reason, just because they are crazy whether in law enforcement or on these message boards. Fortunately they don't procreate as prolifically as the rest of us on the average.:cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik