Farewell to my P3P, it's been great.

Reaction score
Have had my P3P for a couple of years and have found it a great platform for helping me hone in my piloting and videography skills. I'm really glad I got to learn on a drone with minimal auto features which kind of forces you to learn how to fly rather than depend on any of the drone smarts.

Anyway, in the end I've succumbed to the portability of the Mavic, so I put together the following containing some of my favourite footage I captured with my P3P.

Bewdy Nicoloks some nice stuff there. And mainly in Tas by any chance?

Have had my P3P for a couple of years and have found it a great platform for helping me hone in my piloting and videography skills. I'm really glad I got to learn on a drone with minimal auto features which kind of forces you to learn how to fly rather than depend on any of the drone smarts.

Anyway, in the end I've succumbed to the portability of the Mavic, so I put together the following containing some of my favourite footage I captured with my P3P.

Very nice!

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
Would really be interested in your thoughts on using the Mavic instead of the P3! Hard to believe such a small craft can replace the Phantom but this isn't the first time I've heard it. Exciting!

Reactions: Quest-So
Me too, I'm flying a P3A & thinking about my next bird, Mavic for travel is on top of my list, So, do let us know your feelings re- Mavic compared to the P3, once you get some flights under your belt

Reactions: Quest-So
I'm getting disillusioned with the whole deal. We are planning a trip yo Cape Cod in July.... the entire National Seashore is No Fly, the towns can't pass bans quick enough. All the NY and PA state parks are No Fly. Can't even take footage of my own boat in the Watkins Glen harbor without a hassle. Assholes come up to me and snarkily ask whose window am I peaking into? Who needs this?

Sorry for the potty mouth, but we may well have brought this on ourselves with irresponsible flying. Our local hobby shop badmouths multirotors at every turn. He will not stock nor order anything to do with multi's. Needless to say, I don't shop with him anymore. The horse is out of the regulatory barn. We are enemies of the state, and the world will continue to close in on us.

I'm getting disillusioned with the whole deal. We are planning a trip yo Cape Cod in July.... the entire National Seashore is No Fly, the towns can't pass bans quick enough. All the NY and PA state parks are No Fly. Can't even take footage of my own boat in the Watkins Glen harbor without a hassle. Assholes come up to me and snarkily ask whose window am I peaking into? Who needs this?

ask them if they can recommend a decent window rmwac

Reactions: Daptone
Great Nocoloks. If heading Monaro or Snowys let's know.

Nice corner of the world you're in there. If I ever look to go up that way I'll send you a PM :)

Would really be interested in your thoughts on using the Mavic instead of the P3! Hard to believe such a small craft can replace the Phantom but this isn't the first time I've heard it. Exciting!

I've had a few weekends with the Mavic now and camera and control wise I think it is at least a match for the P3 Pro. I tend to shoot with flat colour profiles which may help. However as a straight camera platform comparison I do not think the Mavic better to any degree to warrant swapping you drone and accessories. Where I do think the Mavic is clearly ahead of the P3P is the style of shots that are opened up due to its smart modes and the OcuSync video feed.

For me the Mavic has been worth if for two core reasons;
  1. I am a father of two young kids, which for me basically means carting around an entire backpack for a single drone was a non option. I was finding my air time was getting less and less and I was having to organise and plan well in advance some "dad time" just to get out and fly. Same goes with my dSLR as I used to carry it everywhere with 3 or 4 lenses, now I make do with a Panasonic DMC-FZ1000. I can now fit both my Panasonic and my Mavic in the bottom of my Lowepro backpack with room up top for kid related paraphernalia. In a nutshell it means I am now getting out with my drone more. I don't fly it every time I go out, but have still flown it more in a month than I did my P3P in the last 3 months. An interesting side effect is that I am now planning shoots around using both my Panasonic (also 4k video) and Mavic. Never had that before due to limitations on space and available time.
  2. The smart features I am hoping I will get to use to take some family holiday moments (we like to camp / hike). Everything I have to date with my P3P has my family, but I am either not in shot or busy looking at the controls for the drone framing the shot.
As for everyone else. I really do feel sorry for you all in the USA and Canada for the over zealous restrictions which are being put on you. In Australia the only state to have put any limitations on drones is South Australia, and that is only in National Parks as far as I am aware. Perhaps it has something to do with the different psyche of our nations. I've never had anyone talk to me directly in a negative manner, almost all are amazed at what I'm filming when I show them my video feed.

Reactions: Daptone

I'm unclear about this. My understanding is that the FAA and only the FAA controls airspace. A municipality or State cannot regulate the airspace over their park. They can't say "no drones flying over the park airspace" any more than they can say "no private or commercial planes flying over the park airspace". They can make laws about endangering other people and privacy laws but no laws governing airspace. They may in fact not allow you to launch a drone in the park or to posses a drone in the park, but flying over a park would be the jurisdiction of the FAA. I recall news stories about certain neighborhoods complaining about noise from airliners flying over. They can complain all they want but it takes the FAA to change the airspace designations and the flight approach patterns. Municipalities and States can't control airspace. Am I wrong?

I sold my P3P nearly a year ago when I decided to purchase an Inspire 1 Pro. Absolutely loved the Inspire, completely different experience from the Phantom although I always enjoyed my P3P and learned to fly on one. I purchased a Mavic for the same portability reasons mentioned by most.
Just sold the Inspire and plan to stick with the Mavic along with my recently ordered DJI Goggles.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl