falls out of GPS mode after take off

Reaction score
G'Day all,

My Name is Pete, I live in Aus.

I am having an issue with my P3A, it takes off in GPS mode but once up and stable it switch's to ATTI by itself and starts drifting, I can fly it but it has a tendeny to start drifting and just keeps going if I am not on the sticks to correct and the displays shows 15 Sat's. Not sure why its not holding GPS mode, is it possible I may need to change the GPS modual??.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

Kindest regards,

Peter N

It switches because it has lost singial. It has to be asked, are you between high buildings or objects that are blocking the GPS signal? That is the number one reason GPS can be lost. Do you have metal tape on the top of your drone? That's where the antenna is. Have you had the top off, where the connector or a wire may have been compromised? I can't see why leaving the ground would cause the GPS to stop working.

Reactions: sircking
it switch's to ATTI by itself and starts drifting, I can fly it but it has a tendeny to start drifting and just keeps going if I am not on the sticks to correct and the displays shows 15 Sat's. Not sure why its not holding GPS mode, is it possible I may need to change the GPS modual??
Does this happen every flight?
How long has it been happening?
If you can post recorded flight data from a flight where this occurs, that might help diagnose the issue.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

If it turns out to be an anomaly, it could be because the government gps system can go offline for brief periods, for whatever reason. I ran into this situation (which only lasted a minute) at a river dredging job site I was flying a few weeks ago. Just as I put it into the air and was hovering, my P4P suddenly dropped out of GPS and into ATTI Mode under a wide-open sky. The dredging excavator was also utilizing GPS and later in the day the operator told me he had also briefly lost GPS around that same time. We were nowhere near each other.

I've had this happen a few time flying jobs. (P4P) I take control, especially if in wind, bring it in for landing and restart the mission. Often the GPS is restored very quickly and I just continue with the mission. Don't know if its interference, buggy drone, or whatever. Has never persisted to the point of sending back to DJI. I maintain visual contact, have always been able to take control manually and therefore such an incident is not that concerning from a safety or loss of aircraft standpoint.

Might be hard due to lockdown but can you try another location in case that's causing it,,
Mayby try launch in atti mode and switch to GPS and see if that locks the sats
Could try imu calibration but not sure if that will fix it ,do any onscreen errors show when this happens,,you might as above mention upload your flight to see what might be causing it,,tap top of the shell in centre since GPS module stuck to it,the tap might wake it up,,

It won't
The IMU has nothing to do with GPS reception.
The important thing to do is look at the flight data to see what that shows.
My mind thought was mayby imu will correct if something abnormal in the system and mayby help GPS work again,,I'll add that one to my list of silly suggestions lol

My mind thought was mayby imu will correct if something abnormal in the system and mayby help GPS work again,,I'll add that one to my list of silly suggestions lol
I'm old and silly. I would try it anyway. It free and easy to do. It also covers any parameters that we may not have ever thought could happen.

It switches because it has lost singial. It has to be asked, are you between high buildings or objects that are blocking the GPS signal? That is the number one reason GPS can be lost. Do you have metal tape on the top of your drone? That's where the antenna is. Have you had the top off, where the connector or a wire may have been compromised? I can't see why leaving the ground would cause the GPS to stop working.
Hey thanks for the reply no I am not around high rise, I live in the country 300KLM south of Darin Northern Territory Australia. no power lines around only light poles in the street. The place I am staying backs onto open bush land. To the best of my knowledge there is no other things which should be interfering with it. today I opened the copter and did the IMU tap, it took off well after but, started shooting off to the right after a short time, lucky I know how to fly and got it under control using sticks and forced a landing while holding the control sticks to the left. I states on start up that it needs a firm wear update then switches to GPS green saying ready to go. I have attempted to update the firm wear but it aborts every time I assume I have the latest version.

Does this happen every flight?
How long has it been happening?
If you can post recorded flight data from a flight where this occurs, that might help diagnose the issue.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.
Hello,

Yes it happens every time I attempt to fly it
This year
will attempt to access flight record but not real good at that stuff
I cant afford 99 a year US for that program but thanks for telling me about it.

cheers
I will just stick with my P3S,

It won't
The IMU has nothing to do with GPS reception.
The important thing to do is look at the flight data to see what that shows.
Hey Meta, thanks for the suggestion. I watched the fella on the tube do the IMU tap calibration and copied him but my IMU isnt throwing an error.

did it but no luck, got slightly longer flight but the Phantom decided to go right very fast lucky I am good on the sticks. it still landed weird and I wrecked a new set of blades, thats ok **** happens.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway

Hey guys thanks for all your suggestions, unfortunately I ain't gonna pay for a program to read flight records just once, especially at $100.

On the last flight a I got another error, something to do with visual sensor I expect its talking about the ultrasonic sensor underneath, maybe an intermittent issues with the sensor as well.

Its a real bugger when you get multiple errors, think there might be a home point error as well trying to force the drone to another home point as well.

anyway will keep fiddling with it, can you fly without the ultrasonic sensor, that might be a start.

Thanks again anyone, all the best, will stick with my standard at least its working well.

Hey guys thanks for all your suggestions, unfortunately I ain't gonna pay for a program to read flight records just once, especially at $100.
There's no need to.
Follow my instructions above and it's completely FREE.
If you really want to find out what the issue is, that's the first step to getting some understanding.
anyway will keep fiddling with it,
Stop fiddling and post your flight data and answer the questions in post #3 above.
can you fly without the ultrasonic sensor, that might be a start.
Yes, you can disable the VPS sensors in the app settings, they really aren't much use anyway.
Or you could recalibrate them in DJI Assistant 2.

There's no need to.
If you really want to find out what the issue is, that's the first step to getting some understanding.

Stop fiddling and post your flight data and answer the questions in post #3 above.

Yes, you can disable the VPS sensors in the app settings, they really aren't much use anyway.
I went to the DJI fligjt logger and it staed that I needed to pay m
There's no need to.

I went to flight logger on phantom help there was no free version to down load.

Hello,

This year

cheers

Hello,

This year

cheers
the report shows speed errors up to the point it landed and fell to one side causing a motor obstruction, I needed to remove the battery to shut it down.

It is just what I asked for ... and as I said, there was no charge for it
Your flight data shows that something odd is going on with the GPS.
I've not seen anything like it before and can't think what might cause it.

It's showing 11 sats for most of the flight, which is an appropriate number for a P3 Standard.
It's recording a home point and the flight track shows that it's getting GPS position data throughout the flight.
But the GPS health shows as 0/5 for the whole flight.
*update* This is incorrect - Airdata showed the wrong information for this parameter

this was the last flight I did where the control was lost.
The flight track looks like you had full control.
What do you mean about control was lost?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.