FAA tower does not answer phone!

Reaction score
I live just inside of 5 miles from IAD at about 4.75 from center of the circle. According to FAA rules, we must notify the tower if flying inside the 5 mile circle. The problem is, no one answers the phone. Has anyone else had this problem?

You are not getting clearance or asking for permission... you are only notifying them of your intent to fly. Nothing more.

As far as them not answering, maybe drive on over and see whats up. Or you could always hang a banner on your quad that says "Hey! I'm flyin' here!" and fly it up to the tower glass. :D

Does he have to get clearance? Or just notify the tower?

Anyway, I can think of lots of reasons why one might want to fly within 5 miles of an airport.

Here's one: There's a huge field surrounded by tall trees within walking distance from my home. It's about 2 miles from SFO. I used to fly my P1 there all the time, always at an altitude lower than the trees. It's a great place to practice and test equipment.

I believe we just have to notify them. We are not asking permission. The actual "recommendations" are somewhat ambiguous...................

The FAA has partnered with several industry associations to promote Know Before You Fly, a campaign to educate the public about using unmanned aircraft safely and responsibly. Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:

• Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft
The statutory parameters of a model aircraft operation are outlined in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012) (PDF). Individuals who fly within the scope of these parameters do not require permission to operate their UAS; any flight outside these parameters (including any non-hobby, non-recreational operation) requires FAA authorization. For example, using a UAS to take photos for your personal use is recreational; using the same device to take photographs or videos for compensation or sale to another individual would be considered a non-recreational operation.

Model Aircraft Operations

1) Because living in a neighborhood / city where there is only one undeveloped area nearby that is safe without homes or people traffic areas underneath is available. 2) Parks nearby ban flying. 3) no private property access that is flyable 4) just want to follow the rule to notify the FAA in compliance with guidance

Does he have to get clearance? Or just notify the tower?

Anyway, I can think of lots of reasons why one might want to fly within 5 miles of an airport.

Here's one: There's a huge field surrounded by tall trees within walking distance from my home. It's about 2 miles from SFO. I used to fly my P1 there all the time, always at an altitude lower than the trees. It's a great place to practice and test equipment.
Notify, nothing more -

Public Law 112-95, Section 336 requires model aircraft operators to notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower (if one is located at the airport) prior to operating within 5 miles of an airport.

One thing that has been discussed recently is the fact that frequent calls to an ATCT could disrupt normal tower functions and possibly create a safety risk. Therefore, the FAA is considering developing an electronic notification process through future app they are beta testing.

Reactions: dirkclod
You are not getting clearance or asking for permission... you are only notifying them of your intent to fly. Nothing more.

As far as them not answering, maybe drive on over and see whats up. Or you could always hang a banner on your quad that says "Hey! I'm flyin' here!" and fly it up to the tower glass. :D

I wish that could be done, :).

Try one of these phone numbers and tell them what you started this post with.

Ownership: Publicly-owned
Owner: METRO WASH ARPT AUTHORITY
1 AVIATION CIRCLE
WASHINGTON, DC 20001-6000
Phone 703-417-8600
Manager: CHRISTOPHER BROWNE
1 SAARINEN CIRCLE, SAARINEN CENTER MA-210
DULLES, VA 20166
Phone 703-572-2730

As Luv said:
Notify, nothing more -

Public Law 112-95, Section 336 requires model aircraft operators to notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower (if one is located at the airport) prior to operating within 5 miles of an airport.

But, there is no location within 5 miles of IAD that isn't in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA), so expect some pushback.

I do have a fax number, but who knows if they check it
Who cares if they check it? Your responsibility is to notify them. You are not required to receive acknowledgement of the notification nor a response to it.

You're a quarter mile from the outer limits of their airspace. Keep your bird under 400ft and you're very unlikely to ever be a factor for any traffic they're working. Just send them a fax and go have fun.

Reactions: N017RW
I like the idea of a Fax.... plus you can set your fax machine to print of a "Status Report" showing where you sent it and that it did not fail. SCORE! That's a Win-Win!!

Thanks everyone for your perspectives on this topic; I kind of like the fax notification idea, I think that will work. I do not encourage anyone flying where there are safety issues, but it's important to preserve the right to fly.

Cheers!

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic