FAA Request to fly in airspace

I've been reading through this thread, has anyone gotten a thumbs up? :(
I see waves of approvals for many things on the FAA website how are these entities getting their approvals so fast?

Just looked at the list of approvals. There are "individuals" that are getting approved. Not sure what the issue is but I guess we have to wait and see.

When I submitted a request for a 107.41 Airspace Waiver, I received an FAA acknowledgement about 2 days later.

I have 7 waivers in, and still waiting. I did receive an email indicating receipt of the waiver application, but it's been over 60 days and still waiting.

Skyward can now grant instant access to airspace for commercial drone operators

at least this is a step toward the right direction, I think the FAA realizes that granting waivers is too much of a manual task and can delay many operations. I have a feeling this will be implemented nationwide soon, just will take some time.
Did you actually look at the website? This is not for the independent operator. Skyward appears to cater to business that don't want to spend the time and energy developing their own drone program. Nothing I've seen in their write up, offers anything that cant be done with the free apps and other software available (including airspace waiver approval). It just bundles everything into one with a nice $2-3k charge.

Did you?
The FAA has only granted 2 service suppliers the ability to provide "instant" authorization for commercial operations in controlled airspace, Skyward and AirMap. If you know of a way around using these two to get the LAANC authorization, then I think we'd all love to know.
It is my understanding that currently NO supplier can provide instant airspace authorization. The information they provide is informational only. At some point, they will, but not yet.

Did you?
The FAA has only granted 2 service suppliers the ability to provide "instant" authorization for commercial operations in controlled airspace, Skyward and AirMap. If you know of a way around using these two to get the LAANC authorization, then I think we'd all love to know.

Doktorinjh, you do realize your proving my point right? Let me explain. I'm not the one saying this is a step in the right direction, nor am I saying automation is bad. I'm just pointing out third party companies charging $2-3 grand for individuals (not contractors or businesses [think State Farm]) who want to do local work is not practical. I guess I'll wait.

It is my understanding that currently NO supplier can provide instant airspace authorization.
This system is supposed to be implemented this fall and opened up further by next spring. Is that what you mean?

From what I've read (and there weren't a lot of details before last week's announcement) is that you'll use these 12 companies (only 2 have been approved so far) to create a link between you and the FAA. The FAA gets the request and processes the request using the facility maps. Then the approval is bounced back through the vendor. The FAA currently uses private companies to process other flight data, like NOTAMs. I don't think there are ways to do this directly, are there?

Here's another article describing the process: Automated ATC Authorization For Drone Flights Will Occur At These 50 Airports This Fall

you do realize your proving my point right?
I see what you mean, I think I am misinterpreted what you were after. I am excited that there is forward progress for airspace approval and you think that it should be open and free access to all parties. I agree with that, but I don't think that we know the full story or pricing scheme that these companies have to offer. I know that the FAA has private companies providing some services for free to pilots and I'm hopeful that this will be a similar case. Since there are 12 companies involved in the LAANC program, maybe the competition will help to keep costs to a minimum. I haven't seen any data or subscription information for these services, but I'd like to.

I see what you mean, I think I am misinterpreted what you were after. I am excited that there is forward progress for airspace approval and you think that it should be open and free access to all parties. I agree with that, but I don't think that we know the full story or pricing scheme that these companies have to offer. I know that the FAA has private companies providing some services for free to pilots and I'm hopeful that this will be a similar case. Since there are 12 companies involved in the LAANC program, maybe the competition will help to keep costs to a minimum. I haven't seen any data or subscription information for these services, but I'd like to.
Contact Us for a Custom Quote
No prob. I probed around their site (link above) and signed up for the webinar on the 9th I think it is. The pricing page talked about subscription costs that includes other servies but I'm not too sure if it's needed. They have tiers of service and a free a count for independent operators. Again though not sure if the instant approval is accessible

I take back what I said before. After exploring the site more, its a little more accessible.
Here's a better link to the Skyward website: Skyward
If you go to Solutions --> Small Business, it will let you create a free account. Its limited with the few airports/cities that will be participating in the preliminary period but its a good look.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94