FAA Remote I.D.

This is great, will weed out the non professionals, and still allow small flyers the ability to shoot things like real-estate a 400 foot up / and all around bubble is actually pretty far away for most projects.

Reactions: BigAl07
I am Canadian and occasionally fly my drones in FAA space while on vacation (registered and marked). I find it absurd that FAA would expect remote I.D. on small drones but (if I understand the FAA rules correctly) ultra light aircraft, paragliders and maybe even EAA aircraft are allowed to fly without remote ID.

This is over regulation that will not accomplish the goal. Those that are stupid enough to put people at risk with their drones or to use drones for wrongdoing will do so without complying.

This is nuts.

This is great, will weed out the non professionals, and still allow small flyers the ability to shoot things like real-estate a 400 foot up / and all around bubble is actually pretty far away for most projects.

That works just great, until you have no Internet (which is half the time for me), then it won't even take off within the 400 foot bubble in the middle of nowhere. I guess you could sign up to Hughes Net and carry around your own satellite dish and set it up pointing at the correct satellite at each place you want to fly, with a power supply, and wifi router. Everyone will love that, and the price for an extra Internet connection, only $100/month.

3. The requirement of internet reporting does not have to be the result of a transmission from the drone. This means that your drone will not need its own mobile phone plan or transmitter. Rather, the internet reporting can occur via a smartphone connected to the controller, and it can use either Wifi or a mobile data service (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, or even (gasp) Sprint) to send the data.

4. As a result of #3, above, if you own virtually any currently commercially available drone, your drone is probably already capable of complying with Remote ID with a firmware update and a new app from the manufacturer.

I don't think anyone is reading this as the drone has to connect to "the internet" for Internet transmission. You appear to be describing the "limited" option, in the 400 foot bubble. Yes, it looks pretty clear that the existing drone and a phone on it's controller could do that. The problem is the "standard" option, which would not require the drone to be on "the internet" but it would have to broadcast it's location... to something.... which is probably the cell towers, thus the Internet through a data connection. So, if you are interested in the "standard" option, it is a distinction without a difference.

And, I'm really only interested in what I'm allowed to do with the "standard" option, as the limited option is near useless to me. Sure, you could take real estate pics of a house with the bubble, as long as you have Internet, but I like to send drone out a little farther than 400 feet. I own land that is 2/3 of a mile across, in the middle of nowhere, so there's no reason I shouldn't be able to do that to check out stuff in the far corners of the land. Oh, and it also wouldn't have an Internet connection out there, so it wouldn't even take off.

Reactions: MTO
I wonder how many folks on this thread are submitting "Public Comments' to the FAA. I am anxious to see what they get. I bet it will make for interesting reading.
Count me in for submitting comments this is to important not to get involved

Reactions: Adamborz
I wonder how many folks on this thread are submitting "Public Comments' to the FAA. I am anxious to see what they get. I bet it will make for interesting reading.

It's not open until Tuesday but at the time EVERYONE who has an interest in sUAS operations should submit their thoughts. Regardless if you're FOR (I am) or against (most everyone else LOL) your thoughts need to be know.

For the record I am for Remote ID but not as it's written now. Hopefully they will make several "tweaks" before it goes into law.

If you don't submit a response then IMHO you don't have any say-so about the final regs.

Here's something that won't be popular here (and REALLY not popular in the Mavic Section)... I don't think the sub 250gr weight limit should be put into place. If the Mavic Mini can perform in the exact same airspace as a 250gr+ aircraft it should get the same rules and limitations. Don't be shocked if that 250gr limit gets changed or dropped in the final version. Just my 2 cents.

I am Canadian and occasionally fly my drones in FAA space while on vacation (registered and marked). I find it absurd that FAA would expect remote I.D. on small drones but (if I understand the FAA rules correctly) ultra light aircraft, paragliders and maybe even EAA aircraft are allowed to fly without remote ID.

This is over regulation that will not accomplish the goal. Those that are stupid enough to put people at risk with their drones or to use drones for wrongdoing will do so without complying.

This is nuts.

My thoughts exactly.

Who is going to enforce these new regulations? I don’t see the State and local police investing in whatever tech is needed to verify remote ID. If nobody enforces it... only the law abiding will adhere to the new regulations, but we/they aren’t the ones causing the safety risks in the first place because we follow all the rules now!!

Reactions: MTO and dronesky
My thoughts exactly.

Who is going to enforce these new regulations? I don’t see the State and local police investing in whatever tech is needed to verify remote ID. If nobody enforces it... only the law abiding will adhere to the new regulations, but we/they aren’t the ones causing the safety risks in the first place because we follow all the rules now!!

We should collectively come up with a intelligent response, then we all can submit the response (intelligently lol)

Sorry I quoted myself instead of dronsky above...

This will just cost us more money. I have a limited data plan, now I will have to run data at all times in the air, or be within 400 ft of the controller.
I will be asking for that to be extended to 1000 ft.
If there is no WiFi or cell service, you are screwed.

Here is an example story:
Joe is a farmer who is using his UAS to track his cows. Joe's farm has no wifi and Joe has a flip phone because he is scared that the government is too invasive. Joe does however know how to read a sectional chart and knows that he is in G airspace without an airport for 50 miles.
But Joe can not take off or fly more than 400 feet from himself if he could or he will get a $20,000 fine from the FAA.
Joe will be counting cows from his horse today.
End of story.

I am all for the aircraft flying around broadcasting whatever will help identify it to authorities, but this whole "hook it to the internet", mentality has got to be thrown out.

Also what is to keep the USS providers from bilking us for $30 a month. Will the government be passing regulations to keep that $2.99 a month fee they use as an example? I doubt it.

How about we implement all this great technology into people's automobiles and see how that flies with the public, no pun intended.

:)

Not only this, but I have a P3S. I haven't actually flown it in awhile, but from what I remember I have to turn off the data connectionb on my phone to get it to work (WiFi between the phone and drone or controller or something). So how can I report the location through my internet connection that I have to turn off to fly?

This system goes into effect for maned aircraft with the start of the new year (1/2/20), with some very restrictive flight capabilities for those not in compliance. For these guys to upgrade their avionics to comply is costing them more than just about any of our drones cost If I understand correctly this system is designed to replace radar. If so, the decision has already been made and we are just witnessing the process required to implement.

This system goes into effect for maned aircraft with the start of the new year (1/2/20), with some very restrictive flight capabilities for those not in compliance. For these guys to upgrade their avionics to comply is costing them more than just about any of our drones cost If I understand correctly this system is designed to replace radar. If so, the decision has already been made and we are just witnessing the process required to implement.
The regulation doesn't apply to UAS at this time; the proposed regulation (for UAS) is open for comment after 12/31/19.

The paranoia by some of these people that are so afraid of drones is mind numbing. Is the FAA going to have thousands of "drone officers" on their payroll to be stationed at the remotest parts of the country to be ready to nab these vicious lawbreakers flying their quads in the middle of nowhere?

If they are that paranoid about little drones in airspace, are they going to capture and put tracking devices on each and every migratory bird that is a risk to aircraft? The average Canada Goose can weigh 14 pounds, and a Phantom drone weighs less than 3 pounds and is made of brittle plastic. Drones are not known to fly in large flocks over many states at a time. And Geese don't observe a 400 foot altitude either.

It's hard enough on some people to be able to purchase expensive drones, but now you're going to tell them they may have to pay a monthly fee for the ability to fly their drones as well as get other equipment to broadcast their flights?

I'm all about flying responsibly, we are FAA registered and part 107 here. No problems with that. And I know there's always jerks and morons that ruin things for everybody, but a lot of this is just disgusting big-brother control and paranoia.

Reactions: MTO
There will still be a couple of years before these regs go into effect. Comment away when the period opens up, but it won’t change anything. Too many drones, too many millenials flying and texting at the same time.

Reactions: MTO and Adamborz
There will still be a couple of years before these regs go into effect. Comment away when the period opens up, but it won’t change anything. Too many drones, too many millenials flying and texting at the same time.
What a great attitude.

No, No, No! The federal government should not be able to force me to join a private organization to practice my sport. That is absolutely wrong and they should not be allowed to do it. I have plenty of land far away from anything to fly by myself. I have no desire to be forced to drive somewhere to fly around others in a small little area.
If people want to join an organization that’s fine for them, not me.
What about the person who wants build their own? The way I read it is the aircraft must be engineered and go through an approval process to be able to use it.
my rant.

Reactions: MTO and Basspig

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor