FAA Remote I.D.

I just started using drones in the last 6 months, I have spent over $7000.00 gearing up to do real estate videos and aerial pictures. From what I have read of the proposed regulations, it will all but put me out of business. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and the internet and cell service is very limited. I don't see anyone hurrying around and putting up towers here, we can't even get funding to fix our roads.

I just started using drones in the last 6 months, I have spent over $7000.00 gearing up to do real estate videos and aerial pictures. From what I have read of the proposed regulations, it will all but put me out of business. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and the internet and cell service is very limited. I don't see anyone hurrying around and putting up towers here, we can't even get funding to fix our roads.

You're worried over something that is still very much in it's infancy. It's gong to take time to get the regs worked out and odds are it won't be finalized in it's current form. After that time the infrastructure will have to be built and installed.

It's not going to put you out of business it just seems like it right now. There will be provisions etc because MANY of us operate in limited to NO cell service areas. You're not alone and you're not going out of business right now because of these proposed regulations. With $7K invested in 6 months I surely hope you have a very profitable business going.

My estimate, going from your current investment/spending rate is that you'll be probably $42,000+ into the game by the time this goes 100% LIVE in 2-3 years from now!!

As far as the control station not having internet connection available. Seems as long as you can broadcast the required info you could still fly. But that info seems to need to broadcast far enough to still be picked up by the USS Service that then gets to the internet.

Page 22
Remote identification:
“If the internet is available at takeoff, the UAS would have to do the following from takeoff to landing: (1) connect to the internet and transmit the required remote identification message elements through that internet connection to a Remote ID USS; and (2) broadcast the message elements directly from the unmanned aircraft.
If the internet is unavailable at takeoff, or if during the flight, the unmanned aircraft can no longer transmit through an internet connection to a Remote ID USS, the UAS would have to broadcast the message elements directly from the unmanned aircraft from takeoff to landing.”

Reactions: P5dreaming
You're worried over something that is still very much in it's infancy. It's gong to take time to get the regs worked out and odds are it won't be finalized in it's current form. After that time the infrastructure will have to be built and installed.

It's not going to put you out of business it just seems like it right now. There will be provisions etc because MANY of us operate in limited to NO cell service areas. You're not alone and you're not going out of business right now because of these proposed regulations. With $7K invested in 6 months I surely hope you have a very profitable business going.

My estimate, going from your current investment/spending rate is that you'll be probably $42,000+ into the game by the time this goes 100% LIVE in 2-3 years from now!!
I really have my doubts that the FAA will care one whit that you don’t have an internet connection. Worst case scenario from their perspective is just that they put you on the ground, which was the intent to begin with. People in big cities, such as those faceless bureaucrats in the FAA office, are going to operate based on what they know; either pervasive 5g service everywhere, or people who are spending massive amounts of money on aircraft anyway, and really don’t have a problem adding a bit to that sum if an internet connection is required.
they've got their foot in the door to fully control us now. Bezos’s campaign contribution checks are finally paying off.
If you’re in the business, just get ready for an investment in gear, fully “expensible”, of course. For those of us for whom this is just a hobby, we just need to find another hobby and just get over the fact that the FAA really isn’t there for people like us.

Reactions: joefromga and MTO
For those of you, like me, with an interest in drones for photography … take a look at what is coming.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-28100.pdf

Unbelievable … 319 pages !!

If they’re going to require ADS-B out for drones, why not make it for any drones flying above 400 ft., or those applying for waivers to fly in controlled airspace …

Imagine what your TCAS will look like when all drones have ADS-B out ??

And what about the problem w. limited numbers of ADS-B towers and little low-altitude coverage .. thousands more towers??

After 12/31/19 you can ‘comment’ on the proposed rule here: Public Inspection: Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems

I urge you to pass this around, and consider commenting …

I've been discussing this issue with people on an unrelated forum and some questions came up I'm not sure about:

Does anyone know how the drone would broadcast the info? A pilot I was chatting with said it would be ADS-B, but I don't think that's right (because it doesn't work for low altitude due to line of sight requirement with the towers)? He also indicated that the ADS-B transponder has high power requirements, which would pretty much make it impossible on a small drone. I was assuming it would connect to the cell towers somehow. Although, if it did that, how much would that cost? Would every drone need to subscribe to it's own data plan like an alarm system with cell backup does? (That's typically $10/month.)

I live in rural NH so lots of areas have no cell signal. So, the drone with a transponder would refuse to take off?

I was also wondering what happens when I travel with drone outside of FAA jurisdiction. I was hoping to bring a drone to the Philippines to get some nice video there of our house and land, etc. Obviously, the Philippines isn't going to be on any remote ID system that the US is enforcing, so what happens then... drone refuses to take off? I need a way around this.

FAA does not want the UAS to use ADS-B because that’ll busy up the screens so to speak.

Even my P4P+ has the capability of broadcasting its ID to aero scope and DJI says they can probably send software update to other versions to do same. That is the way to go in my opinion on the preexisting drones.

I got to page 75 so far... and I see there will be a 3 year exemption for us that already have drones.

This won’t happen overnight.

FAA does not want the UAS to use ADS-B because that’ll busy up the screens so to speak.

Even my P4P+ has the capability of broadcasting its ID to aero scope and DJI says they can probably send software update to other versions to do same. That is the way to go in my opinion on the preexisting drones.

I got to page 75 so far... and I see there will be a 3 year exemption for us that already have drones.

How does it broadcast to aero scope? I have the same questions as @Porc. What will the receiving infrastructure consist of to receive from the aircraft?

One would think that the ID data could be transmitted (in unencrypted form) in the data stream that already exists between the aircraft and controller, so anyone within range could pick it up. Whether this capability could be retrofitted to existing (pre-identification) models via a firmware update alone is unknown, only the manufacturer could determine that.

How does it broadcast to aero scope? I have the same questions as @Porc. What will the receiving infrastructure consist of to receive from the aircraft?
Details, details... ;)

At the very least they need to grandfather older incompatible models. In the years it will take for this to be finalized and in law many of these will no longer be operating anyway, and those that are will be so old as to make it impractical in economic terms to bring into compliance. The question is whether this relatively small remaining fleet will really present such a hazard as to justify denying owners their use. That seems pretty doubtful, but in the world of CYA it may not be taken into consideration.

This "aero scope" isn't something I have seen or used (although I have seen it mentioned in other discussions). How does it work? Would it qualify for the "standard" option of broadcasting from the drone? Or, does it send the data back just to the controller? If the latter, it could only qualify for the "limited" option.

Although, I do think that's a ridiculous requirement of the FAA... the way I see it is they are giving 2 options:
1. Standard: Broadcasts from drone to cell towers.
2. Limited: Broadcasts from controller to cell towers.

Both still require a data connection to the same towers, it's just that the standard option is more costly to implement (requires additional hardware and a subscription service to access the cell network). If the controller is connected to the drone, and the drone sends GPS info back to the controller, why can't the limited option also be the standard option as long as the controller is connected to the drone? The standard option only seems useful for true autonomous operation, such as what Amazon drone deliveries might do.

It sends the ID over WiFi. I have read where DJI says anybody with their app could pick up your drones location and ID. It doesn’t require the expensive AeroScope units that airports have, it goes over the WiFi and transits location etc.

This "aero scope" isn't something I have seen or used (although I have seen it mentioned in other discussions). How does it work? Would it qualify for the "standard" option of broadcasting from the drone? Or, does it send the data back just to the controller? If the latter, it could only qualify for the "limited" option.

Although, I do think that's a ridiculous requirement of the FAA... the way I see it is they are giving 2 options:
1. Standard: Broadcasts from drone to cell towers.
2. Limited: Broadcasts from controller to cell towers.

Both still require a data connection to the same towers, it's just that the standard option is more costly to implement (requires additional hardware and a subscription service to access the cell network). If the controller is connected to the drone, and the drone sends GPS info back to the controller, why can't the limited option also be the standard option as long as the controller is connected to the drone? The standard option only seems useful for true autonomous operation, such as what Amazon drone deliveries might do.
Did the NPRM mention cell towers? The parts I skimmed didn’t mention that. It would make sense to leverage existing deployed cell infra. But they don’t say that. And while they mention cost for USS subscription, they don’t mention a cellular account or line fee.

It sends the ID over WiFi. I have read where DJI says anybody with their app could pick up your drones location and ID. It doesn’t require the expensive AeroScope units that airports have, it goes over the WiFi and transits location etc.

WiFi doesn't sound very far, although the enhanced wifi in something like the Mavic Mini can get out to a couple of miles. I did a quick search and found this:

It mentions stationary units that can get the signal within 50km, which surprises me (how does that work?) And, portable units that are good to 5km. Although, how "portable"? Can they be installed in a plane? I'd be surprised if every little Cessna out there would go installing these. It sounds interesting and has uses, but I'm going to guess it won't be considered "adequate".

Did the NPRM mention cell towers? The parts I skimmed didn’t mention that. It would make sense to leverage existing deployed cell infra. But they don’t say that. And while they mention cost for USS subscription, they don’t mention a cellular account or line fee.

Correct, they left that vague up to the industry to design and implement. I'm making what I think are reasonable guesses. Otherwise, what else would they do? Put up entirely new network of towers across the country just for this?

I had a big initial investment (drone, I Pad and a new computer that will handle the videos and editing and getting my part 107 license), I do intend to expand my equipment however not nearly at the rate you suggest. That being said I am relativity new to the drone industry and do not understand all the ins and outs. It just sounded quite ominous from what I read.

I live in rural North Idaho where there is rarely cell service outside of the few populated areas. Many of my drone projects are for Realtors selling 5 to 150 acre rural properties. I save maps to CrystalSky before a job but otherwise, have no connection. Will definitely write a letter about this requirement as the FAA probably assumed the whole country has cell service, NOT! However, I can see the need for better regulations. The number of violators who post obvious violations on this website and other websites and brag about them are a problem. Being a destructive cowboy with a drone is irresponsible, dangerous and just asks for more regs. But one question, will the FAA enforce any of this?

Reactions: Porc

I tend to agree with BigA that it’s not likely to be implemented in its current form. Indeed half my brain thinks it seems so overreaching that it seems like it could collapse under its own weight. The other half of my brain is more jaded at this age. ;). I feel that could be no limit to what the bureaucrats pass and how much control, big brother regs and unfunded mandates they want to foist on the citizenry. ESP the unelected ones that aren’t directly accountable to the ballot box. So while it may not be implemented in its current written form, it doesn’t mean that the worst parts don’t stay in.

While I’m not a fool hat guy, I agree with others that have said this is really in response to what Amazon et. al. Are trying to do with drones. This is an enabler for them. A disabled for us. I believe this never would have been considered if it were just hobbyists. Even at the growth rate we are seeing. I could be wrong but that’s my gut.

And just because you’re paranoid, it doesn’t mean they are not out to get you. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Porc and BigAl07
Here is a great article written by our very own Vic Moss @mossphotography

He tells it like it is and with experience and a vast knowledge of our industry under his belt. Vic isn't against Remote ID but he is for a smart approach and this article is the icing on the cake.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers