FAA Remote I.D.

Here is a great article written by our very own Vic Moss @mossphotography

He tells it like it is and with experience and a vast knowledge of our industry under his belt. Vic isn't against Remote ID but he is for a smart approach and this article is the icing on the cake.

Well written. And very complete.

I’ll add one additional small caveat. Even if they don’t publish our home addresses, for those of us that fly from our home often will be giving out our home address anyway in the form of lat/Lon. So as Vic points out when he says you can find someone waiting for you the next time you go to fly, it could be your back deck.

He tells it like it is and with experience and a vast knowledge of our industry under his belt. Vic isn't against Remote ID but he is for a smart approach and this article is the icing on the cake.

Hmm. Article seems to have been removed. Maybe he told it too much like it is. ;) I went back to reread a part and I’m getting an error page.

Hmm. Article seems to have been removed. Maybe he told it too much like it is. ;) I went back to reread a part and I’m getting an error page.

Well that's a shame. Im gonna reach out to him and see what's up with that.

What's the (Flyable) payload on most of our type 16oz??? maybe...the GOV is trying to get some kind handle on this drone thing...Right now they want to throw the net over everybody. I think it should be based on max payload and range, or something like that.....Bad guys will do what they want and dumb people will hit aircraft with their drones....In the mid East their building drone airplanes out of plywood in garages and powering them with lawn mower engines - see AW&ST magazine Nov 11-24 issue. There could be one being built in the US right now and it wont have a transponder and it wont be kept in visual range like us :) I'm 64 and DJI sold me a drone that can fly 2 mi, but I can't see it 1/4 mi away. It's the wild west and they want your gun. Yes, in the future besides a transponder you'll need radar altimeter too. Oh and pass a written test to get your FAA DJI license. Your range will be limited based on your eye exam....I'm rambling..
Well, ramble on! How about FAA licensing based on IQ + Common Sense test. That might reduce the number of drones in the US from 1.5 million to around 60 from what I've seen lately.

Well written. And very complete.

I’ll add one additional small caveat. Even if they don’t publish our home addresses, for those of us that fly from our home often will be giving out our home address anyway in the form of lat/Lon. So as Vic points out when he says you can find someone waiting for you the next time you go to fly, it could be your back deck.

While I've had no problems with other people yet, I do get nervous about the idea of my home address being the launch point for a drone. There's lots of Gladys Kravitz types out there that love to have something to freak out about. I'm imagining one of them now... a woman 3 houses down from me is crazy AF... she makes up wild stories and keeps calling police on her immediate neighbors, claiming they're "on her lawn" or "looking in her windows" (they are NOT... I know them)... she's so awful that our friends who live next to her sold and moved just because of her. Anyway, if she found out there's an app that shows a neighbor 500 feet away with a drone (not even over her house), guaranteed she's calling the cops.

Reactions: MTO

That is odd... I read earlier a few hours ago before seeing the link here. Not sure where it went. Good article.

For those of you, like me, with an interest in drones for photography … take a look at what is coming.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-28100.pdf

Unbelievable … 319 pages !!

If they’re going to require ADS-B out for drones, why not make it for any drones flying above 400 ft., or those applying for waivers to fly in controlled airspace …

Imagine what your TCAS will look like when all drones have ADS-B out ??

And what about the problem w. limited numbers of ADS-B towers and little low-altitude coverage .. thousands more towers??

After 12/31/19 you can ‘comment’ on the proposed rule here: Public Inspection: Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems

I urge you to pass this around, and consider commenting …
OK. Pilots here are talking about ADS-B like I'm supposed to know what that is. I didn't see the definition in the FAA notice above so can only assume it has to do with drone pilots with Attention Deficit Syndrome at level B, whatever that is. I think I've met a few of those myself. They tend to run out of drones and money at about the same time.

Reactions: DroneB

This link to droneu is broken. Is there another link?

FAA remote I.D. information, Changes are a coming
mail
Remote ID Banner
U.S. Department of Transportation Issues
Proposed Rule on Remote ID for Drones

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced a proposed rule that would continue the safe integration of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), commonly called drones, into the nation’s airspace by requiring them to be identifiable remotely.
“Remote ID technologies will enhance safety and security by allowing the FAA, law enforcement, and Federal security agencies to identify drones flying in their jurisdiction,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao.
The FAA will seek input on the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) for Remote Identification (Remote ID) of UAS that today was placed on display at the Federal Register. In the coming days, it will be accompanied by a 60-day comment period to receive public feedback and help the FAA develop a final rule to enhance safety in the skies over the U.S.
“As a pilot, my eye is always on safety first,” said FAA Administrator Steve Dickson. “Safety is a joint responsibility between government, pilots, the drone community, the general public and many others who make our nation so creative and innovative.”
Drones are a fast-growing segment of the entire transportation sector – nearly 1.5 million drones and 160,000 remote pilots are registered with the FAA. Equipping drones with remote identification technologies would build on previous steps taken by the FAA and the UAS industry to safely integrate operations, including the small UAS rule, which covers drones weighing less than 55 pounds, and the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC), which automates the application and approval process for most UAS operators to obtain airspace authorizations.
These efforts lay the foundation for more complex operations, such as those beyond visual line of sight at low altitudes, as the FAA and the drone industry move toward a traffic management ecosystem for UAS flights separate from, but complementary to, the air traffic management system.
The proposed Remote ID rule would apply to all drones that are required to register with the FAA (recreational drones weighing under 0.55 pounds are not required to register), as well as to persons operating foreign civil UAS in the U.S.

The FAA message I received yesterday said, in part, "The proposed Remote I.D. rule would apply to all drones that are required to register with the FAA (recreational drones weighing under 0.55 pounds are not required to register), as well as to people who operate foreign civil drone in the United States."

Why am I not surprised to see that the US government, in their infinite wisdom, allows any person who operates a FOREIGN DRONE to do so in the United States. Isn't that the very thing the FAA is supposed to be trying to prevent???

If I'm understanding what I'm reading in the NPRM, after a cutoff date anyone flying a drone that is not capable of either standard (broadcast and Internet) or limited (Internet only) remote ID will be restricted to certain pre-approved areas, such as model airplane venues. Since remote ID capabilities don't yet exist that would include basically what everyone owns now (unless it is possible for the manufacturer to provide a software/firmware update to allow them to meet the requirements, which seems questionable, and even if so there's no indication of how much it would cost or who would pay (want to guess who would pay?) This would so restrict usability as to make them worthless to most.

"Persons that own unmanned aircraft in this group of “legacy” UAS without remote identification equipment would have potential “loss of use” associated impacts since this proposal does not include grandfathering."

"Loss of use" is a bit harsh and not actually accurate. The affected drone pilots would be "restricted to certain pre-approved areas" that generously include, for instance, Death Valley (summer months only), Louisiana coastal swamp, Donner Pass (winter months only), the International Space Station, and from the bottom of any active volcano in the state of Hawaii. You get to see America's wonders up close and enjoy your drone in ways you might not have experienced otherwise.

Reactions: MTO and Agent Smith
Well, ramble on! How about FAA licensing based on IQ + Common Sense test. That might reduce the number of drones in the US from 1.5 million to around 60 from what I've seen lately.

Besides the written testing, a practical test would severely reduce the amount of 107 certificates issued. You can get your 107 and never even hold a drone in your hand let alone fly one.

If I’m included in that “60” figure, that should raise my job security factor ?

I wonder how many real estate photographers that include aerials actually have their 107?

That’s how I got the hook up, my established photographer partner (awesome with a DSLR) didn’t like flying the drone.

Vic’s article is back up with a modified headline it seems. Based on my skimming it looks substantially unchanged in content.

Vic’s article is back up with a modified headline it seems. Based on my skimming it looks substantially unchanged in content.

It was a computer issue. They had to reload it. Maybe too many people hit it all at once? This is a HOT topic to say the least.

Reactions: Adamborz
I just started using drones in the last 6 months, I have spent over $7000.00 gearing up to do real estate videos and aerial pictures. From what I have read of the proposed regulations, it will all but put me out of business. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and the internet and cell service is very limited. I don't see anyone hurrying around and putting up towers here, we can't even get funding to fix our roads.
I spend a fair amount of time in Manistique/Escanaba area as well as the Soo. I know what you mean about towers.

Reactions: YooperPH4
OK. Pilots here are talking about ADS-B like I'm supposed to know what that is. I didn't see the definition in the FAA notice above so can only assume it has to do with drone pilots with Attention Deficit Syndrome at level B, whatever that is. I think I've met a few of those myself. They tend to run out of drones and money at about the same time.
Short Version:
Automatic dependent surveillance—broadcast (ADS–B) is a surveillance technology in which an aircraft determines its position via satellite navigation and periodically broadcasts it, enabling it to be tracked.

Long Version:

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I've been a member of AMA since 1982 though I no longer fly model planes. The AMA was a pretty effective lobbying organization in Congress and kept Big Brother from passing a lot of boneheaded legislation that would have severely damaged, if not destroyed, the model aircraft hobby and industry. Sounds like we need something similar specifically for the drone hobby if we don't have one already. And, of course, piggybacking on the AMA would probably work, too. Whatever it takes to keep drone legislation decisions from being passed with no voice on our side of the issue. Congress is infested with liars and lunatics and they should never be trusted to do anything that makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTO and Adamborz
  • Haha
Reactions: BigAl07 and Porc
Hi everyone,

I've read the FAA's proposal. I'm not a big fan of these requirements, but nevertheless, I thought I'd summarize the things that I believe are important:

1. The new proposals will not apply to drones that weigh less than .55 pounds and which are used exclusively for recreational purposes. That means that if you own a Mavic Mini or anything lighter and you just fly it for fun, these rules won't change anything for you. No remote ID required.

2. The new proposal finally gives a useful definition of visual line of sight. As I read it, you won't have to actually be looking at your drone, it just has to be in a position that you (or an observer) could see if it you were looking with unaided vision. Under the new rule, it appears that you can look down at a FPV view of your drone temporarily without being in violation of the rules. The old rule was ambiguous on this point.

3. The requirement of internet reporting does not have to be the result of a transmission from the drone. This means that your drone will not need its own mobile phone plan or transmitter. Rather, the internet reporting can occur via a smartphone connected to the controller, and it can use either Wifi or a mobile data service (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, or even (gasp) Sprint) to send the data.

4. As a result of #3, above, if you own virtually any currently commercially available drone, your drone is probably already capable of complying with Remote ID with a firmware update and a new app from the manufacturer.

Your drone already transmits most of the required information (barometric altitude, etc.) from the drone to your controller in an encrypted format. The firmware update would be required so that the required information would be transmitted in the clear periodically to comply with the broadcast requirement.

The app update would be required to allow your phone to transmit the required information over the internet to an approved service provider.

5. You would also be required to subscribe to a service provider to receive the information sent over the internet. Ideally, you'll want to have more than one because if the provider goes down while you have internet service, your drone won't take-off.

On the other hand, if you have no internet service available, your drone WILL take off and fly. As long as it also broadcasts data directly from the drone itself, you can fly as long as you want with no internet service available.

The FAA says that you'll have to pay $30 a year for that service. I have no idea how they got that number, but given that I can use a number of LAANC service providers today for free, the estimate seems reasonable.

It wouldn't surprise me if a hobbyist organization set itself up as a service provider and provided the service for free for its members.

The FAA says that DJI is already an approved LAANC service provider, and so it wouldn't surprise me at all if DJI set itself up as an approved Remote ID Provider as well.

5. The one thing that reallly, really surprises me is the fact that hobbyist groups have only 12 months to request that the FAA recognize areas for flying drones without Remote ID. Once that 12 month period is up, the FAA will not accept any further applications to recognize these areas.

I would think that the FAA should be willing to accept such applications forever, in order to accommodate hobbyists who build their own model aircraft/drones/etc. I guess the thinking is that future builders will include Remote ID capabilities in their aircraft, or build them under .55 pounds.

6. The quotes that I've read from the FAA and industry indicates that the FAA wants this rule to take effect right away. Industry appears to wish that the FAA had adopted these rules much sooner. I would not count on a long delay. These rules will likely be adopted soon, though they won't take effect for about three years.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik