FAA Max Altitude Rule Changed Yesterday

So to me this reads that you can go as high as you want as long as you're within 400ft horizontal to and/or 400 additional feet above said structure. . So 1000 foot radio tower just increased your ceiling to 1400 ft.

Yes?

So to me this reads that you can go as high as you want as long as you're within 400ft horizontal to and/or 400 additional feet above said structure
I'm not sure there is any other way to read it. It's pretty straightforward.

Reactions: Bigdz
So to me this reads that you can go as high as you want as long as you're within 400ft horizontal to and/or 400 additional feet above said structure. . So 1000 foot radio tower just increased your ceiling to 1400 ft.

Yes?

+1, Yep, when flying commercially.

1. So, if I am not flying for compensation, the 400ft AGL, Does Not Apply to me?
2. Will the Front OAS detect those little wire things hanging down from that 4,800ft TV tower?

1. So, if I am not flying for compensation, the 400ft AGL, Does Not Apply to me?
The 400ft AGL in part 107 does not apply to anyone who is not flying commercially. Nor does anything else in part 107. However, the FAA recommends that all hobbyists fly below 400ft AGL.

2. Will the Front OAS detect those little wire things hanging down from that 4,800ft TV tower?
I wouldn't count on the optical sensors seeing any type of wires.

Bah see what happens when I can't sleep and post some half read **** at 4 in the morning.. Lol sorry guys.. .

I launched from atop a ridge and flew over the valley, I'm not sure but I may have been 1800 feet from the ground when I was over the valley in this video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I launched from atop a ridge and flew over the valley, I'm not sure but I may have been 1800 feet from the ground when I was over the valley in this video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
You should always try to stay within 400ft horizontally from land when flying off high cliffs like that. So essentially, you're still within 400' from land. If you wander more than 400' away from land or structure in any direction, and you're more than 400' AGL vertically, then you are asking for trouble.

You should always try to stay within 400ft horizontally from land when flying off high cliffs like that. So essentially, you're still within 400' from land. If you wander more than 400' away from land or structure in any direction, and you're more than 400' AGL vertically, then you are asking for trouble.
Thanks for the feedback. Am I breaking any regulations by flying over the valleys like that? Is the regulation specifically 400 feet above land, structures, or is it 400 feet above my controller?

Is the regulation specifically 400 feet above land, structures, or is it 400 feet above my controller?
It's 400 feet above the ground below your Phantom.

Thanks for the feedback. Am I breaking any regulations by flying over the valleys like that? Is the regulation specifically 400 feet above land, structures, or is it 400 feet above my controller?
It's 400' AGL (Above Ground Level) which is the piece of land the AIRCRAFT is directly over. Your launch point is no longer valid the moment you move the aircraft in any direction.

Look at it like this... at any time in the flight if the aircraft were to lose total power and falls it shouldn't fall more than 399.99999' before it hits something.

Granted with our very rudimentary instruments it's a best guess but I can tell for sure that flying to 400'AGL and then out over the valley below is WELL beyond "best practice" for hobby flights.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say the planes will be flying 500 feet above those mountains and not the valleys
Negative. It's very common for General Aviation to "Scud Run" and fly their aircraft at (or even below) Minimums. Also take into account Law Enforcement, MediVac, Search & Rescue and you'll see many MANY reasons an aircraft couple be flying below mountain tops. It happens all the time and is perfectly legal.

Let's remember 107 is in regards to commercial UASs.

To really understand this, you need to back up a little. In order to fly commercially you need to do certain things, such as past the test given by the FAA. So really the FAA could be saying, a person needs to have the training and flight certification in order to fly higher then 400' in some situations.

And before someone posts it... yes, the 400' is a _recommendation_. :(

Reactions: BigAl07
It's 400' AGL (Above Ground Level) which is the piece of land the AIRCRAFT is directly over. Your launch point is no longer valid the moment you move the aircraft in any direction.
Ah, in that case, it's very unfortunate that I can't go above 400 feet if I'm flying uphill, that I would run into the hillside if I keep going because I'm capped out at 400 feet altitude from my controller.

Ah, in that case, it's very unfortunate that I can't go above 400 feet if I'm flying uphill, that I would run into the hillside if I keep going because I'm capped out at 400 feet altitude from my controller.

No you would go higher, 400 is a recommendation only if you are flying non commercially

The limit on the controller is irrelevant. In order to ascend up the hillside you'd increase the limit in the software and just "estimate" your AGL. It's not an exact thing because we are still using hobby-grade instruments.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic