FAA Max Altitude Rule Changed Yesterday

Its attitudes like that which will make us look bad as a hobby in the end. Its not the same at all. Your comparing apples to oranges. In the air you are talking about an unmanned aircraft verses a manned aircraft. The manned aircraft always has the right away. FYI Your little simalarity isnt the same at all. On the ground all of the vehicles are manned.

Doesn't sound like we should be held accountable for it. If so then I should start driving in sidewalks because there's less traffic and if I hit someone then it's their fault for being in my way, no?
If you break your drone chances are no one gets hurt but if your a dummy and hit a plane people could get killed so your darn right its your responsibility to stay away from them in any situation.

Not sure why you keep referring to search and rescue and medevac flying below 400AGL.

First of all, those instances are very rare
You are wrong from start to finish. SAR is not rare and MediVacs fly MANY times each and every day. I work first hand with SAR and even though it's not daily there are times of the year where it's every week.

Second, if there is no TFR for an active incident, how in the world would you know they're flying below their set altitudes in what areas

This is why you stay within VLOS. This is why you stay ever alert and keep your ears and eyes open for approaching aircraft. We would call this "common sense" but sometimes it's not nearly as common as it should be.

And flying VFR in the mountains, last thing medivacs do is fly close to the mountains with having chances of hitting cell towers and power lines.

Oh my friend you are living in a dream world there. Powerlines would be say 50' AGL so no they don't SCUD run at 50' but you can bet your bottom dollar they fly well below 400' AGL depending on the scene of the accident and proximity to the medical facility. I can show you pictures of a MAMA flying just above tree top level here along I-40 in the "Gorge" for arrival and departure of a massive car accident. You should be prepared to see other aircraft in the area at any time and react/avoid accordingly. To think otherwise is very much like sticking your head in the sand and repeating to yourself "I'm right. I'm always right." That's not how this works my friend... not at all.

Doesn't sound like we should be held accountable for it. If so then I should start driving in sidewalks because there's less traffic and if I hit someone then it's their fault for being in my way, no?

You are being irrational here. The manned aircraft ALWAYS has right of way and it's is mandated legally that if you want to participate in "dabbling" in the NAS you must abide by the rules and laws set in place. Many of these are not new (such as see and avoid) but are being written in a manner that can't be misconstrued incorrectly.

What in the world makes you think that flying your toy r/c aircraft in any way should have any type of special use or right of way over manned aircraft? The logic (or lack there of) behind any type of thinking like that is simply mind boggling.

You are being irrational here. The manned aircraft ALWAYS has right of way and it's is mandated legally that if you want to participate in "dabbling" in the NAS you must abide by the rules and laws set in place. Many of these are not new (such as see and avoid) but are being written in a manner that can't be misconstrued incorrectly.

What in the world makes you think that flying your toy r/c aircraft in any way should have any type of special use or right of way over manned aircraft? The logic (or lack there of) behind any type of thinking like that is simply mind boggling.
I think people just like to argue. Also most of this is common sense which isnt so common anymore. Seems pretty simple that a drone will break or crash but people could die in an aircraft so dont take chances or try and push the bondries. Its people with this attitude that caused the FAA to rush a lot of these rules in the first place.

Lots of fragile egos too.

I appreciate Al's efforts. However, I have retired from similar conversations.
In discussions like 'those' folks are not here to have their mind changed.

Many want to show how smart they are by fabricating ridiculous scenarios.
Soooooo many Keyboard Kowboys and anonymous internet tough guys.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Lots of fragile egos too.

I appreciate Al's efforts. However, I have retired form similar conversations.
In discussions like 'those' folks are not here to have their mind changed.

Many want to show how smart they are by fabricating ridiculous scenarios.
Soooooo many Keyboard Kowboys and anonymous internet tough guys.
I have over 370 videos on YouTube so I am well aware. Its the worst platform for negative behavior in general.

You're both exactly right.

I really should spend my time better but I just can't help myself. Sometimes when I see something that is so blatantly erroneous I find myself trying to shed some light down the rabbit hole. If it weren't for the fact that like it or not we are all "In This Thing Together" I wouldn't care what others think and do. But sadly anytime one of these knuckle heads make the evening news my text, email, and FB blows up asking for my input and how I would have done it differently.

You're both exactly right.

I really should spend my time better but I just can't help myself. Sometimes when I see something that is so blatantly erroneous I find myself trying to shed some light down the rabbit hole. If it weren't for the fact that like it or not we are all "In This Thing Together" I wouldn't care what others think and do. But sadly anytime one of these knuckle heads make the evening news my text, email, and FB blows up asking for my input and how I would have done it differently.
It bugs the crap out of me. I love this hobby and if people continue to be idiots and fly where they shouldnt I could see the FAA either banning drones for recreational purposes or making the rules a lot more stringent. Ive said it since day one. I hate to sound like a negative nelly but someone is going to get hurt really bad and or loose there life. Its just a matter of time and we will be front page news. I am disabled and cant do much. Other then my kids this gives me the most enjoyment out of anything so I would like to keep the hobby around as it is. 400ft is plenty high and you can get some amazing footage at that height. The rules arent bad at all right now. No sense in jeprodizing them and the hobby. If your not sure then DONT DO IT. Its that simple and dont push the boundries. The FAA are the last people we would want to piss off.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20