FAA Max Altitude Rule Changed Yesterday

Why even push the boundries. 400ft is plenty to get beautiful footage. It because of people breaking the rules that we are in this position in the first place. If you not sure then dont do it.

Reactions: BigAl07
This 400' business is easy to understand if you know the regulations for manned aircraft in this country. Generally an aircraft is prohibited from flying lower than 500', except when landing or taking off. Over uninhabited areas, aircraft may fly down to the ground too BUT, "in no case closer than 500' to any person or structure". So a drone flying within 400' of a structure should not be able to hit a plane flying legally. Interestingly, a drone at 50' over an uninhabited area like the ocean or lake COULD be hit by a plan flying legally. And NO, it's not safe to assume an aircraft would be 500' above those mountain peaks and not the valley. Planes fly below peaks like that in good weather all the time. Or it wouldn't be that uncommon.

This 400' business is easy to understand if you know the regulations for manned aircraft in this country. Generally an aircraft is prohibited from flying lower than 500', except when landing or taking off. Over uninhabited areas, aircraft may fly down to the ground too BUT, "in no case closer than 500' to any person or structure". So a drone flying within 400' of a structure should not be able to hit a plane flying legally. Interestingly, a drone at 50' over an uninhabited area like the ocean or lake COULD be hit by a plan flying legally. And NO, it's not safe to assume an aircraft would be 500' above those mountain peaks and not the valley. Planes fly below peaks like that in good weather all the time. Or it wouldn't be that uncommon.

You've also got to account for helicopters, MediVac, Seach & Rescue aircraft, crop dusters and so much more. There are many times when 500' AGL isn't a hard limit.

Im not in any areas like that but that is a great piece of info.

The limit on the controller is irrelevant. In order to ascend up the hillside you'd increase the limit in the software and just "estimate" your AGL. It's not an exact thing because we are still using hobby-grade instruments.
I see, I'm still quite new to DJI software and limits. So am I technically / legally allowed to increase my height limit to 1000 feet from controller, as long as I'm under 400 feet high from the ground directly beneath me?

If so, this would help me out a lot, as I'm flying in mountainous terrain quite often.

Thanks for the feedback!

am I technically / legally allowed to increase my height limit to 1000 feet from controller, as long as I'm under 400 feet high from the ground directly beneath me?
You are technically and legally allowed to set the height limit to any number. The only thing the FAA is asking is that you do not ascend your aircraft over 400 feet above the ground below it.

You are allowed to be 400ft above the ground or object but need to be within your line of site. This is because Planes are supposed to be at least 500ft above the ground or objects. However this changes a bit if you are flying in between mountains because sometimes planes fly below the height of them. I hope this helps.

Here in Canada I have an SFOC to operate a commercial project and I am limited to 300' and unless a specific job that can be mitigated correctly requires more than 300' it will be always 300' as a standard. The reason being, structures are only required to have lighting up to 300', above that it is not a requirement. So as long as you fly below 300' you should see all obstructions as they are lit at that level. Now I understand lighting does not play into things during the day, but I guess it's a standard they apply.

I see, I'm still quite new to DJI software and limits. So am I technically / legally allowed to increase my height limit to 1000 feet from controller, as long as I'm under 400 feet high from the ground directly beneath me?

If so, this would help me out a lot, as I'm flying in mountainous terrain quite often.

Thanks for the feedback!

I live and fly in the Blue Ridge Mountains here daily so I understand. The trick is how are you doing to "know" that you're only 400' above the point of ground below the aircraft? That's the "legal" aspect of it but yes you can override the 120m aspect within the software just realize you are intentionally bypassing safety features.

Here in Canada I have an SFOC to operate a commercial project and I am limited to 300' and unless a specific job that can be mitigated correctly requires more than 300' it will be always 300' as a standard. The reason being, structures are only required to have lighting up to 300', above that it is not a requirement. So as long as you fly below 300' you should see all obstructions as they are lit at that level. Now I understand lighting does not play into things during the day, but I guess it's a standard they apply.
Do they even have FAA in Canada? Isnt that a US government program? Just curious as i know nothing about rules in Canada.

That is one of the things you need to remember if you're flying legally at 50' over a sparely populated area or open water. It is your responsibility to give the right of way to any plane that is flying low.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I live and fly in the Blue Ridge Mountains here daily so I understand. The trick is how are you doing to "know" that you're only 400' above the point of ground below the aircraft? That's the "legal" aspect of it but yes you can override the 120m aspect within the software just realize you are intentionally bypassing safety features.
Yes but planes fly below
Planes fly below mountain peaks all the time so flying in the mountains is a sticky situation. Just be safe.

Not sure why you keep referring to search and rescue and medevac flying below 400AGL.

First of all, those instances are very rare. Second, if there is no TFR for an active incident, how in the world would you know they're flying below their set altitudes in what areas. And flying VFR in the mountains, last thing medivacs do is fly close to the mountains with having chances of hitting cell towers and power lines.

Oh and canyons... Unless you're in San Andreas with Dwayne Johnson, they do not fly inside the canyons lol.

Not sure why you keep referring to search and rescue and medevac flying below 400AGL.

First of all, those instances are very rare. Second, if there is no TFR for an active incident, how in the world would you know they're flying below their set altitudes in what areas. And flying VFR in the mountains, last thing medivacs do is fly close to the mountains with having chances of hitting cell towers and power lines.

Oh and canyons... Unless you're in San Andreas with Dwayne Johnson, they do not fly inside the canyons lol.
Has nothing to do with SNR. Planes fly below the peaks all the time in good weather and could cause sticky situations for people that fly drones in the mountains.

Has nothing to do with SNR. Planes fly below the peaks all the time in good weather and could cause sticky situations for people that fly drones in the mountains.
Doesn't sound like we should be held accountable for it. If so then I should start driving in sidewalks because there's less traffic and if I hit someone then it's their fault for being in my way, no?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.