FAA 333 Petition Submitted, Now What?

Reaction score
I submitted this petition on January 12th and was issued a Comment Tracking Number. For those of you who have submitted a petition, approximately how long does it take for it to be reviewed. I've tried searching the system with my Comment Tracking Number but it has not produced any results. I've submitted a petition and would like some feedback as to whether or not I've actually done this correctly? Obviously the goal is to get this submitted and approved ASAP. TIA!
FAA 333.JPG

Most people wait about 3 months. Mine took 4.5 months, but that was over a year ago now.

Reactions: Denarius
I understand the wait for final approval but I just want to know where (or if) I can view the current status? I'm mainly interested to know that I've filed this document correctly. Does the FAA make the petition searchable online once they actual start the review or can you track your status from day one? They issued me a tracking number but so far there is nothing to track (or at least nothing that I've been able to locate) so I'm a bit confused.

You won't know you've done something wrong until the FAA sends a letter back in the mail. When I submitted mine, there was no way to track it. I just waited for months to hear back.

So you're telling me that the tracking number is essentially useless? Sounds on par with what I would expect regarding government efficiency. Thanks for the response.

I believe that tracking number is just an easy way for you to locate your submission on the FAA website. It's not like a UPS tracking number that lets you track the progress of your package each day. Plan on waiting ~3 months. That seems to be the norm.

I uploaded my application on January 4th. On the 20th, it showed up on the docket at Regulations.gov. I found it by searching using my last name on that site. I didn't get a hand-signed note in the mail. There's a thirty-day comment period. After that, I think you wait until you either get your letter in the mail, or find it on the docket.

You can look on this page for recent approvals:
Authorizations Granted Via Section 333 Exemptions

;)

Sage

Based on your timeline mine should be coming up. I guess I'll just continue to search the site daily for my petition. Did you ever try searching for your file by the assigned tracking number?

Lol! I suppose that would be asking a bit much of the fed government. This is some crazy bureaucratic nonsense.

I uploaded my application on January 4th. On the 20th, it showed up on the docket at Regulations.gov. I found it by searching using my last name on that site. I didn't get a hand-signed note in the mail. There's a thirty-day comment period. After that, I think you wait until you either get your letter in the mail, or find it on the docket.

You can look on this page for recent approvals:

;)

Sage

WTF really? I filed mine in November and no docket yet...can you send a link to yours?

Last edited:
WTF really? I filed mine in November and no docket yet...can you send a link to yours?
No kidding. One would assume that if you're issued a "tracking number" that you'd actually be able to track your petition's progress. The entire process is extremely arcane.

Here is how it works:

A) You submit your request for grant
B) Once they "receive" it they give you a tracking # that just shows they have seen it
C) Another department is in charge of "Posting it to the public docket" which is where it's open for comment
D) Once it's posted to the Public Docket (you'll see it via your tacking #) it will sit there "under review and waiting for public comments" until it's either Granted, Denied, or More Information Is Requested".
E) Keep in mind that anything else that happens ALSO gets posted to the Public Docket so those actions you won't see until THAT department gets that task done.

Here is the timeline for my submission:

Submitted electronically July 10th, 2015 (got tracking # immediately but it only showed they had received it and nothing more)
Posted to Public Docket Nov 4th, 2015
Approved Dec 23rd but STILL showing as pending on Public Docket
Approval Packet arrived in USPS mail on Dec 30th (which is how I know when it was approved).
It's now 1/22/2016 and mine is still not on the Public Docket but you can find it on the FAA website by searching for "Approved Exemptions" (this is different than Public Docket)

Here is a link to the APPROVAL page (does not show pending status etc only Approvals)

Here is how it works:

A) You submit your request for grant
B) Once they "receive" it they give you a tracking # that just shows they have seen it
C) Another department is in charge of "Posting it to the public docket" which is where it's open for comment
D) Once it's posted to the Public Docket (you'll see it via your tacking #) it will sit there "under review and waiting for public comments" until it's either Granted, Denied, or More Information Is Requested".
E) Keep in mind that anything else that happens ALSO gets posted to the Public Docket so those actions you won't see until THAT department gets that task done.

Here is the timeline for my submission:

Submitted electronically July 10th, 2015 (got tracking # immediately but it only showed they had received it and nothing more)
Posted to Public Docket Nov 4th, 2015
Approved Dec 23rd but STILL showing as pending on Public Docket
Approval Packet arrived in USPS mail on Dec 30th (which is how I know when it was approved).
It's now 1/22/2016 and mine is still not on the Public Docket but you can find it on the FAA website by searching for "Approved Exemptions" (this is different than Public Docket)

Here is a link to the APPROVAL page (does not show pending status etc only Approvals)
Great info! Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Reactions: BigAl07
Great info! Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I fully understand what it's like to sit and wait with NO activity what so ever. On the GOOD side it seems like they are moving things along at a much quicker pace these days in terms of actual progress but the "posting to the public docket" is still slow. Keep checking the link above it is updated at least 1x a week if not more.

I fully understand what it's like to sit and wait with NO activity what so ever. On the GOOD side it seems like they are moving things along at a much quicker pace these days in terms of actual progress but the "posting to the public docket" is still slow. Keep checking the link above it is updated at least 1x a week if not more.
I sure hope they speed this process up. My hope is that the system gets so slammed that they have no choice but to address this issue with immediacy. Just another government impediment on the way to earning a living.

Based on your timeline mine should be coming up. I guess I'll just continue to search the site daily for my petition. Did you ever try searching for your file by the assigned tracking number?

I tried just now... and it worked. It's obvious that there is a period where it's not available on the docket

S

No kidding. One would assume that if you're issued a "tracking number" that you'd actually be able to track your petition's progress. The entire process is extremely arcane.

I have a tracking number, some friends of mine also submitted around that time and got a docket after 60 days. I want to see a link for the guys docket that claims he submitted onJan 4th and got a docket on Jan 22nd....a mere 18 days....I kind of don't believe it...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31