Extreme Lag with Go App 3.0.0

So I just got my drone the other week, but have already been playing with all the soft mods and configurations. Just got back from home a couple of test flights and can report the following. I am in Australia, so the drone was CE out of the box.

- Upgraded to 1.6.8 out of the box..signal seemed unstable but did manage to get about 200m range before it turned back. Running DJI Go App 2.8.1
- Downgraded to 1.5.7 and woke in the morning to find my iPhone had auto upgraded to DJI Go 3.0.0. Was pissed I left the stupid auto update settings on. Flying in this config gave me a much more stable signal (to around 350m) but EXTREME lag when trying to switch to video mode. Sometimes it would even crash the app.
- Applied the Papatitas mod to 20dbm (while on 1.5.7). Running DJI Go 3.0.0, got to about 500m range (using stock antenna) but the bird kept freaking out switching to ATTI mode, not sure why - but this freaked me out so got it back to base quick smart. Still the same lag (basically unusable).
- Just reverted back to stock CE transmission config and re-applied the 1.6.8 update. Lag seems like it's gone now but I haven't flown yet - this is just while the craft is idle.

To be honest I don't know WTF they are doing over there at DJI R&D. I don't think they are intentionally trying to screw over Phantom owners, it just seems like some major QA was missed on the release. Also because it doesn't appear to affect all users - perhaps some of us are running different hardware config's (i.e. different chips used on different assembly lines for example) and maybe the software is having a different effect on that.

Oh and I should also add the EXTREME lag extends to telemetry data - not just video. I would stop the drone mid flight and took a good 5 seconds for height and distance data to be updated on the iPhone. FPV image transition was smooth the whole way though.

So it seems like to me at least if I want decent range, I need to downgrade to 1.5.7 and use Litchi (which is gonna cost me an extra $35). I might try the 20dbm mod on this firmware version and see how that goes...unless someone advises against it?

Very similar experience to me! (Also Aussie) Except I haven't found the video to be laggy. I can see the FPV with only about the normal 0.5 second delay, it's just the app commands which are extremely slow or time out and cause unexpected bird behaviour.

Also my bird was switching to ATTI mode a lot too, not sure if it was related. I can see it drops down to about 5 sats before it goes into ATTI mode.

As I mentioned above, I'll stick to 1.5.7+ and use Litchi app for now (bloody $35 in the Aussie app store, most expensive app I've ever bought). Will be interested to hear how you go. My next step would be to try 1.6.8 with the FCC 20 dBm magic 4 mod.

Very similar experience to me! (Also Aussie) Except I haven't found the video to be laggy. I can see the FPV with only about the normal 0.5 second delay, it's just the app commands which are extremely slow or time out and cause unexpected bird behaviour.

Also my bird was switching to ATTI mode a lot too, not sure if it was related. I can see it drops down to about 5 sats before it goes into ATTI mode.

As I mentioned above, I'll stick to 1.5.7+ and use Litchi app for now (bloody $35 in the Aussie app store, most expensive app I've ever bought). Will be interested to hear how you go. My next step would be to try 1.6.8 with the FCC 20 dBm magic 4 mod.

What's your experience with the Litchi app? Is this a perfectly fine alternative to the DJI Go app? I know it can do all the waypoints but I'm mainly just interested in standard (and stable) FPV flight to start with.

This is all a bit of a downer - all I want to do is fly the **** thing normally as recommended by the company who made it, but I can't because of all these problems. Now I have to jump through all these hoops just to do what it should out of the box!

Anway's I might try the 20dbm mod before downgrading. Looks like 1.5.7 and Litchi is the way to go - are happy flying with this config?

What's your experience with the Litchi app? Is this a perfectly fine alternative to the DJI Go app? I know it can do all the waypoints but I'm mainly just interested in standard (and stable) FPV flight to start with.

This is all a bit of a downer - all I want to do is fly the **** thing normally as recommended by the company who made it, but I can't because of all these problems. Now I have to jump through all these hoops just to do what it should out of the box!

Anway's I might try the 20dbm mod before downgrading. Looks like 1.5.7 and Litchi is the way to go - are happy flying with this config?

I haven't used Litchi enough to give it a full review but the app is very easy to use... it seems to do everything DJI Go can and is more intuitive.

As for the P3S not flying straight out of the box... I couldn't agree more... I picked one up on sale for $600 (AUD) and thought it was too good to be true... but not now with all the hassles I'm having...

Everyone raving about the Mavic etc... I just want to have a nice flight with my P3S without something going wrong.

Nothing.By mistake I put it.They wait for me to downgrade the app.

Today I'm having some time to do so.For now,I'm going to get my friend's p3pro and I will have news in about an hour!

Is anyone here experiencing the lag NOT using Magic Mod 4.0?
Just to iron out the possibility the mod does something it's not supposed to....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

That's what I'm thinking....
Just tried my friend's P3Pro.
Works great.Of course,Pro is connected with lightbridge and cable and not wifi,so this might not be accurate.Next test will be to reserve the bird to stock without PapaTita mod.

I haven't used Litchi enough to give it a full review but the app is very easy to use... it seems to do everything DJI Go can and is more intuitive.

As for the P3S not flying straight out of the box... I couldn't agree more... I picked one up on sale for $600 (AUD) and thought it was too good to be true... but not now with all the hassles I'm having...

Everyone raving about the Mavic etc... I just want to have a nice flight with my P3S without something going wrong.

Check out my post here on Litchi experience with the FCC mod running 1.5.7 - tread cautiously

Hello again!I didn't downgrade the app but I tested a much cheaper android phone and it works excellent.So its the iOS app.I have IPhone 6 Plus with iOS 10.

This is interesting, is this problem (iOS 10) bogging down the phone, (meaning the phone isn't fast enough for the iOS 10 and the app or the app itself.
You said the Pro worked fine, was that still with your iPhone 6, iOS 10 and same version of go app?

Rod

Thanks, I need update my 4s phone, November I had it more than a year past my 2 year contract, need to get a newer faster tablet also, been using a Ipad 2, which seem to have problems Sunday, I couldn't change the camera to video from pics. o_O (Hum).

Been using a Asus 7" tablet, but like the interface of the iOS better.

Thanks again for your reply.

Rod

Thanks, I need update my 4s phone, November I had it more than a year past my 2 year contract, need to get a newer faster tablet also, been using a Ipad 2, which seem to have problems Sunday, I couldn't change the camera to video from pics. o_O (Hum).

Been using a Asus 7" tablet, but like the interface of the iOS better.

Thanks again for your reply.

Rod

I'm using an iPhone 7 Plus with the same issues. It's not the speed of the phone or iOS 10 (all other apps working normally), it's just DJI Go 3.0.0!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20