Extreme Gimbal Tilt on Yaw

Reaction score
Hi!
Today I was flying in decent wind - 4-6mph and I noticed my P4P+ was having extreme gimabl tilt on a rotating axis.

Picture this - When flying North the gimbal was level. Go East and all of a suddent the gimbal is 40 degrees to the right. Go West and the gimbal was 40degrees to the left.

Wasn't this bad before! I did an IMU callibration on the spot and that didn't help at all.

Hardware issue?

Attachments

• DJI_0085.JPG
    DJI_0085.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 601
Thing is it was almost perfect a week ago. So weird.

Only problem it had back then was it tilted in the direction I flew in - very slightly. 5 degrees max

I have this issue also it seems alot do. It needs a fw update because one flight its good or facing east its ok turn a little and horizon is jacked. My p4 was never this bad. Whoever says they have a perfect horizon on theirs dont ....they just aint telling the truth. Ive personally seen 5 p4pros at my friends hobby shop they all do this

I really hope FW update will fix the problem since as it is now for me it is unusable completely.

I had "perfect horizon" on my P3P, maybe it drifted a little bit, but only if you look like really really really good. And maybe it didnt rift at all :)

This thing with P4P is ridiculous...

Today wasn't as bad as yesterday, no wind I guess?

Here's a video I just took.

Here's what gets me. I paid near $2000 for this piece of equipment. It shouldn't have such a glaring issue.

Guys, what's your take? Hardware replacement and be without it for a few weeks? Or wait for FW update?

Reactions: Robertd
ad back then was it tilted
Hi!
Today I was flying in decent wind - 4-6mph and I noticed my P4P+ was having extreme gimabl tilt on a rotating axis.

Picture this - When flying North the gimbal was level. Go East and all of a suddent the gimbal is 40 degrees to the right. Go West and the gimbal was 40degrees to the left.

Wasn't this bad before! I did an IMU callibration on the spot and that didn't help at all.

Hardware issue?
Did it stay tilted for the extent of flying in that direction or did it slowly level out? In any case, what was the temperature? How cold was the AC? I've seen this occasionally when I fly in cold temperatures (below freezing). But in my case(es), the gimbal tended to level out very slowly after a turn.

Recalibrated everything, even sensors through Assistant, twice.

Gotcha Sky, as you're in NO FL, I'm not inclined to believe this may be related to temp, but then again, was it cold at the time?

@Gavin and @Smokin, your bench test and outdoor videos seem to indicate some sort of anomaly (unrelated to temp) is evident.

I don't own a P4 so I can't say with certainty that this is an operator issue, but I'm inclined to believe it's not, given similar experiences across various environmental conditions. Does DJI have a way to submit a Problem Report for this condition? If so, I suggest opening a PR and would ask that you post back to this thread as to how you were able to accomplish successful Problem Reporting...

Career, SW QA here...DJI should have a way for reporting this anomaly. Especially if they consider the P4 to be a serious Prosumer UAV

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yup temperature was 50F or above when I did my first flight. Today was 90F

I've done 3 IMU cals now and I definitely was coming no where near the gimbal or flight bank limits

Here's what gets me. I paid near $2000 for this piece of equipment. It shouldn't have such a glaring issue.

Guys, what's your take? Hardware replacement and be without it for a few weeks? Or wait for FW update?

You are lucky or have less wind than me...

Ouch. That's terrible

I would wait for FW update, may take a few weeks, but at least you are going to have the original aircraft you bought.
If you send it in, most like you are going to receive refurbished unit.

It's since p3 that we all expect a firmware update that solve this problem. If they sort it out, 3 gen were needed, not few weeks.

DJI has been releasing fw for the P4 PRO almost every 4 weeks. Last fw update was January 11. The previous one was on December 09, 2016.

This means we are closer to another fw update.

P4PRORELE.JPG

P4PROREL2.JPG

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj