Extreme Gimbal Tilt on Yaw

Today wasn't as bad as yesterday, no wind I guess?

Here's a video I just took.

Here's what gets me. I paid near $2000 for this piece of equipment. It shouldn't have such a glaring issue.

Guys, what's your take? Hardware replacement and be without it for a few weeks? Or wait for FW update?

Nothing you are doing makes for good video, so I am confused on why you need the gimbal to behave perfectly while you are rotating that quickly. But that being said, I don't see anything drastically wrong after the abuse. What you are doing is close to how I FIX my horizon issues, so I know that violent rotation does affect the gimbals. Not just on the P4P, but every small gimbal out there, and I have owned (still own) dozens of them, from all of the generations of the Phantoms to multiple GoPro gimbals from DJI, Tarot, and more. They all behave exactly the way I am seeing in your vid.

What you need to do is use this behavior to your favor, and not against your favor. Read my next post to see what I mean

You are lucky or have less wind than me...

I would bet large amounts of money I could fix your horizon in seconds. This has worked for me every time on multiple gimbals

Read my reply to GavinW above if you did not already, and also take a look at his rapid rotation video. What he does in his vid is almost what I do to fix my horizon issues, only what he is doing is making his horizon issues worse (don't do that!)

First an IMU calc, followed by a gimbal calc. on a dead level surface (verified with a carpenters level, don't guess) will do wonders to mitigate your issue, but it will not solve it completely.

Then go get airborne. If theings are good keep flying. But the next time you have a horizon issue: Instead of rapidly spinning and spinning for no good reason. You need to do a short rapid spin for a good reason. (to fix your issue)

Do a hard snap yaw spin towards the low side of your horizon. Sometimes I have to go the other way also. By hard snap, I mean stick all of the way over for about a 1/4 rotation and then right back to center. This has never failed to fix my horizon across multiple drones and multiple gimbals.

After you are level, fly and take vids as desired. If it wacks out again (and it will) repeat the hard snap yaw

I would bet large amounts of money I could fix your horizon in seconds. This has worked for me every time on multiple gimbals

Read my reply to GavinW above if you did not already, and also take a look at his rapid rotation video. What he does in his vid is almost what I do to fix my horizon issues, only what he is doing is making his horizon issues worse (don't do that!)

First an IMU calc, followed by a gimbal calc. on a dead level surface (verified with a carpenters level, don't guess) will do wonders to mitigate your issue, but it will not solve it completely.

Then go get airborne. If theings are good keep flying. But the next time you have a horizon issue: Instead of rapidly spinning and spinning for no good reason. You need to do a short rapid spin for a good reason. (to fix your issue)

Do a hard snap yaw spin towards the low side of your horizon. Sometimes I have to go the other way also. By hard snap, I mean stick all of the way over for about a 1/4 rotation and then right back to center. This has never failed to fix my horizon across multiple drones and multiple gimbals.

After you are level, fly and take vids as desired. If it wacks out again (and it will) repeat the hard snap yaw

I will try this. Was flying yesterday. Zero wind. Gimbal was getting lazy. So annoying.

Nothing you are doing makes for good video, so I am confused on why you need the gimbal to behave perfectly while you are rotating that quickly. But that being said, I don't see anything drastically wrong after the abuse. What you are doing is close to how I FIX my horizon issues, so I know that violent rotation does affect the gimbals. Not just on the P4P, but every small gimbal out there, and I have owned (still own) dozens of them, from all of the generations of the Phantoms to multiple GoPro gimbals from DJI, Tarot, and more. They all behave exactly the way I am seeing in your vid.

What you need to do is use this behavior to your favor, and not against your favor. Read my next post to see what I mean
I mean obviously I was making this video to demonstrate the issue properly. On a job I wouldn't fly like this.

Also it isn't really possible to move the stick in the direction of the tilt as the tilt changes based off the direction you're facing.

I can promise you there's nothing normal about this. I've had part of operation of over 10 P4s and this one P4P in the last year and have only had 3 birds with any horizon tilt, and this one with it being this bad.

I mean obviously I was making this video to demonstrate the issue properly. On a job I wouldn't fly like this.

Also it isn't really possible to move the stick in the direction of the tilt as the tilt changes based off the direction you're facing.

I can promise you there's nothing normal about this. I've had part of operation of over 10 P4s and this one P4P in the last year and have only had 3 birds with any horizon tilt, and this one with it being this bad.

My P4P does exactly what your video shows. My P4 and P3P never did that.

So you are telling me that i will fix this:

with quick yaw spinning the drone?

C'mon man... I had P3P before this that held horizon at level during most violent yaw spinnings. Ok, not 100% straight horizon, but much much much better than this, lets say 95%.

Ill try today what you said, be prepared to lose those large amounts of money :D

So you are telling me that i will fix this:

C'mon man... I had P3P before this that held horizon at level during most violent yaw spinnings. Ok, not 100% straight horizon, but much much much better than this, lets say 95%.

Whew, I'm happy I just bought a P3P! But looking at your vid, to my uneducated and inexperienced eye, it seems the amount of tilt you are putting on your bird (on the bench) translates rather minimally to the video that gets captured. But I def appreciate your concern for your horizon tilt issue(s)...

As a noob, I'm clueless. Wouldn't it take some petty gusty and sustained winds to tilt your bird as demonstrated by your video?

I'm just trying to learn here..no offense is intended toward ANYONE [emoji41]

W

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: WSCorp65
I'm still having the same problem after I send my P4P back to DJI to be fix for the gimbal horizon drift and tilt (Camera board replacement). Now most of my videos are unusable because I still having the horizon tilt issue, “different tilt angle with different heading” (worsened) plus the sudden flip of the gimbal during right lateral flights. I'm sending it back again to DJI (another two weeks), very disappointed with the performance of this gimbal, I never experience nothing like this on neither of my P2P GoPro and P3P. Countless calibrations of IMU (Cold-Hot), Compass and Gimbal (Level surface Auto calibration and Manual inflight adjustment).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164