Extreme cold temperatures and dogs

Reaction score
Hi!

I am planning to get me a phantom 4. Have had 5+hours on a phatom 3 and am really convinced.
My main object for filming would be at work with huskies. I have been trying to search if its possible to turn off any ultrasound from the machine and I have got the idea that its related to the VPS(?) which is possible to disable. Does this disable all ultrasounds too? Would like to minimize any extra distractions from the already distracting machine to the dogs. How does this effect outdoor flight and filming?

Also, where I live, the winter temperatures typically reach down to -45 Celsius (-49 Fahrenheit). Does anyone have any first hand knowledge or reliable information about operating the drone in these temperatures? Batterylife will be a lot shorter thats for sure, but can the machine take the cold?

Thx!

Edit: Battery related tips unless software related are not necessary :) Also living here makes me know how phones/tablets behave in the cold. Just interested about the drone/controller related parts.

I have been trying to search if its possible to turn off any ultrasound from the machine and I have got the idea that its related to the VPS(?) which is possible to disable. Does this disable all ultrasounds too?
You cannot disable VPS in the Phantom 4. I'm assuming the dogs will not be bothered once you reach a certain altitude. It might take some experimenting to figure out how high you'll need to be -- since the dogs won't just tell you ;)

You cannot disable VPS in the Phantom 4. I'm assuming the dogs will not be bothered once you reach a certain altitude. It might take some experimenting to figure out how high you'll need to be -- since the dogs won't just tell you ;)

This I have tried to experiment with the phantom 3. Flying high enough, in most cases didnt even get the dogs attention even though they can definetly hear the propellers and see the drone (I could loudly too). Descending to a certain point made the dogs react, you could tell when the ultrasound kicked in. The dogs are used to ATV's, Snowmobiles and all sorts of vehices but the second the ultrasound came in they react. Some scared, some violent. And if I tried the same thing further away from the dogs just descending straight down slowly, the second utrasounds came in, they began turning their heads like trying to figure out the source of the sound.

I guess eventually you could have them used to this too but really? No turning off VPS? I understood Phantom 3 could do it?

No turning off VPS? I understood Phantom 3 could do it?
Correct. It can only be disabled in DJI GO when flying a Phantom 3.

Correct. It can only be disabled in DJI GO when flying a Phantom 3.

Well this makes me want to go back to testing the Phantom 3 more and ether try to get the dogs used to ultrasound or settle with getting a phantom 3. Any future updates we know of adding the same disabling feature to phantom 4?

Any knowledge about the extreme colds then? Is there any known issues with the drone or the controller in cold?

Any future updates we know of adding the same disabling feature to phantom 4?
Unfortunately, DJI rarely reveals what's in store for future updates.

Any knowledge about the extreme colds then? Is there any known issues with the drone or the controller in cold?
DJI has some cold weather flying tips here and here. Whatever you've been doing with your Phantom 3 should work with your Phantom 4.

I tried a parrot bebop drone in cold weather (but only ~-20°C) and it worked just fine.
At -40° your battery probably won't live as long, also the plastic parts or props get more fragile and will break easier. Maybe in the future some carbon parts will be available.

Most important thing is for sure to keep your batteries warm before start. Fortunately the phantom battery is inside the copter protected from wind and might generate enough heat on its own. However, I wouldn't rely on the battery percentage in the app, the behavior might be different at these temperatures.
For the rest of the electronics and sensors it is better to wait for the copter reach a constant temperature.
Also it might be dangerous when bringing the phantom and remote back in the warm house or car, as water will condensate. A waterproof case/backpack will prevent that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues