Erratic DJI Go 4 app

Reaction score
I recently received a new P4 in exchange for an older P4 whose vision system gave problems (DJI replaced it within the warranty period). I calibrated gimbal and compass before using it, and I downloaded the new DJI Go4 app on my Samsung Note 4 and I must say, I am afraid to fly now. Where my previous P4, in combination with the Go 3 app, flew perfectly (except for the obstacle avoidance not working), on this P4 several issues occurred during 2 test flights in an open field today:
- the app continuously notifies me that I need to update the firmware. I downloaded and installed v. 4.01.02.0602 I think three times today into my P4 through the DJI Assistant on my pc, successfully ("100%, completed") by the way and restarted P4 en RC. I also downloaded an update of the Go4 app this afternoon. Didn't help.
- 2 times out of 3, out in the field, I do not get a connection with the P4 when starting up. Only after rebooting my phone, doI get a connection. The message said 'Aircraft Disconnected' (see attachment), and not 'disconnected' like when the drone is turned off.
- during automated flight mode, circling around a POI, the app froze. I closed and restarted it, but could not regain the connection with the P4. It circled rather erraticly until it auto-landed safely, fortunately. WHAT IS THE COURSE OF ACTION TO REGAIN CONNECTION when this happens?
- during Active track, it followed the subject (i.c. me myself), but when I approached the P4, instead of backing up as it should according to the settings in the app, it just flew away at high speed, backwards! I regained control by pushing the 'stop' button in the screen, got it back to manual control.
- midflight, the app turns back to the home screen for a second or two, then back to the monitoring screen (or whatever you call the screen you 'work in' while flying). No consequences, fortunately, but scary when it happens.
- midflight, I got the message 'gimbal shake error'. Don't know what that means. Maybe due to the rather strong wind??
- I was in an open field and several times got the message 'Strong interference, fly with caution'. There was a GSM mast about 80 meters from where I stood. Is that close enough to cause this?

Does anyone recognize this? In Google Play I see that a lot of users have experienced serious issues with the Go4 app. I am seriously considering asking for a refund, but since my first purchase dates from September (and got replaced within the warranty period by this one, as said), I don't know if DJI would go along with that or if I am entitled to.
What would you do?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-23-15-38-29.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-23-15-38-29.png
    313.7 KB · Views: 513
I would firstly see if you have nothing else running in the background when using the go app. All other apps shut down and maybe even the device switched to airplane mode to prevent your consistent update messages. Alternatively if you know someone with an apple device, load the go4 app on that and try flying again. If that doesn't fix a lot of your issues, there may be a fault with your replacement P4 and you need to return it. Are you running the latest RC firmware as well? I would ignore the reviews regarding the app as there must be a million people out there using it with no problems, although many people including myself fly mostly fly with Litchi and only use the go app for a few basic settings and firmware updates.

Thanks, that is a good tip. How does one update the firmware of the remote? It doesn't say in the manual. What is Litchi ? something similar as the Go app but 'better'?

Thanks, that is a good tip. How does one update the firmware of the remote? It doesn't say in the manual. What is Litchi ? something similar as the Go app but 'better'?
Firmware updates sometimes include the AC and RC, but not always. The last update for a P4 included both and the app lets you know and walks you through it (I use the app to update firmware and not the assistant). You have the latest AC firmware update and the remote is 1.8 or similar ( you can check your latest update in the app with everything turned on and connected). Litchi is another app supported by dji as part of their SDK arrangements with third parties. Costs about $25 and a lot of people use it due to the extra features it offers.

That's interesting. I can only update the AC and not AC and RC at the same time, as far as I know: according to instructions, I need to connect the AC to my PC (and DJI Assistant 2) to update the firmware. At that moment, there is no connection with the RCanymore as far as I am aware of. (at a certain point, the app also tells me to update the AC, and suggests I use the cable, that normally connects RC to the tablet, to connect the AC to the tablet directly instead. So the RC is disconnected then also). Or am I doing something wrong?

That's interesting. I can only update the AC and not AC and RC at the same time, as far as I know: according to instructions, I need to connect the AC to my PC (and DJI Assistant 2) to update the firmware. At that moment, there is no connection with the RCanymore as far as I am aware of. (at a certain point, the app also tells me to update the AC, and suggests I use the cable, that normally connects RC to the tablet, to connect the AC to the tablet directly instead. So the RC is disconnected then also). Or am I doing something wrong?
Once you receive the notification on your device, you need to firstly download the firmware (Internet) and it will inform you of the next steps, cable connections etc. I have always used my device to do this and it works every time.
Try this link from the phantom guru.
HOW TO: Install Phantom 4 firmware

I recently received a new P4 in exchange for an older P4 whose vision system gave problems (DJI replaced it within the warranty period). I calibrated gimbal and compass before using it, and I downloaded the new DJI Go4 app on my Samsung Note 4 and I must say, I am afraid to fly now. Where my previous P4, in combination with the Go 3 app, flew perfectly (except for the obstacle avoidance not working), on this P4 several issues occurred during 2 test flights in an open field today:
- the app continuously notifies me that I need to update the firmware. I downloaded and installed v. 4.01.02.0602 I think three times today into my P4 through the DJI Assistant on my pc, successfully ("100%, completed") by the way and restarted P4 en RC. I also downloaded an update of the Go4 app this afternoon. Didn't help.
- 2 times out of 3, out in the field, I do not get a connection with the P4 when starting up. Only after rebooting my phone, doI get a connection. The message said 'Aircraft Disconnected' (see attachment), and not 'disconnected' like when the drone is turned off.
- during automated flight mode, circling around a POI, the app froze. I closed and restarted it, but could not regain the connection with the P4. It circled rather erraticly until it auto-landed safely, fortunately. WHAT IS THE COURSE OF ACTION TO REGAIN CONNECTION when this happens?
- during Active track, it followed the subject (i.c. me myself), but when I approached the P4, instead of backing up as it should according to the settings in the app, it just flew away at high speed, backwards! I regained control by pushing the 'stop' button in the screen, got it back to manual control.
- midflight, the app turns back to the home screen for a second or two, then back to the monitoring screen (or whatever you call the screen you 'work in' while flying). No consequences, fortunately, but scary when it happens.
- midflight, I got the message 'gimbal shake error'. Don't know what that means. Maybe due to the rather strong wind??
- I was in an open field and several times got the message 'Strong interference, fly with caution'. There was a GSM mast about 80 meters from where I stood. Is that close enough to cause this?

Does anyone recognize this? In Google Play I see that a lot of users have experienced serious issues with the Go4 app. I am seriously considering asking for a refund, but since my first purchase dates from September (and got replaced within the warranty period by this one, as said), I don't know if DJI would go along with that or if I am entitled to.
What would you do?
Wow hands full on that,,,I using djigi4 4.0.7..had no issues been behaving,,like tevek say try another device see if same result,,can get interference from ground aswell like cables,etc,,to be honest I not really used other features because of what I read,bit cautious,,,I just love to film and fly,,,problywhy no incidents,,,,I have never had to do firmware update since new only updates I do is when app tells me and yes cable in tablet

If you are using Go 4 for Android, there are known issues with the latest version of Android 7, "Nougat".

Since I reverted my nVidia SHIELD K1 Android tablet back to Android 6, "Marshmallow" DJI Go 4 has run perfectly. It's a pain in the butt to do it, but well worth it when you have bird in the air doing one of the advanced flight modes.

Since DJI favors iOS (hey it's easier since there are fewer combinations of hardware) don't hold your breath for DJI to fix the Android versions. So, I don't know what level Android you're Note is on, but avoid Nougat with DJI Go or DJI Go 4, use Marshmallow or older.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31