Emirates Airlines: drones as checked-in baggage only?

Reaction score
Has anyone here used Emirates Airlines going to Dubai or exiting Dubai with their Phantom's?

Did you put you're Phantom in checked-in or carry-on luggage?

I am going back again to Philippines this coming April and recently i saw some issues that you need to put your drone as checked-in baggage. I did this before last December 2017 i encounter no issue at all. But this is my first time using Emirates with a drone.

I am using ALTA SKY 49 Vanguard as my backpack for my p4p.

Drones are not allowed as cabin baggage
For safety reasons, we can’t allow drones on board as cabin baggage. Drones can be accepted as checked-in baggage only. If you have a drone in your checked-in baggage you’ll be asked to either secure the Lithium batteries within the drone or remove the batteries and carry them in your cabin baggage. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to our flights from an airline that has accepted drones as cabin baggage.

What is the policy for transporting Dangerous Goods? | Baggage and lost property | Emirates

Simple because i do not want to put my drone as checked-in baggage.

Any thoughts?

Please check with the airlines directly. Are these rules latest or taken out of old book?

As I understand it’s risky to check in LiPo batteries due to extreme pressure variations in the checked in compartment. How do you secure them there? Use LiPo safe bags?

Gimbal is a delicate part and unless it’s fully secured, risky to check in as checked in luggage goes through shocks. In some countries checked in luggage is thrown over the belts by hands.

I would think twice before carrying my drone via emirates.

Please check with the airlines directly. Are these rules latest or taken out of old book?

As I understand it’s risky to check in LiPo batteries due to extreme pressure variations in the checked in compartment. How do you secure them there? Use LiPo safe bags?

Gimbal is a delicate part and unless it’s fully secured, risky to check in as checked in luggage goes through shocks. In some countries checked in luggage is thrown over the belts by hands.

I would think twice before carrying my drone via emirates.

No idea if this is an old rule or a new one. We tried to call dcaa and the airport but they are just giving generic answers like

"yes you need to put it in check in luggage and take off the battery and put it in your carry on etc.."

But i travelled before together with my phantom and i put it in my backpack as carry-on at the same terminal here in Dubai and i did not encounter any issues.

The only thing is i am flying Emirates this time. So if anybody here in the forum experience flying with Emirates with their Phantom's will share inputs that would be great :D

Have a nice day man!

I fly London-Dubai, Dubai-Cape Town, Cape Town-Dubai, and Dubai-London several times each year. Our drone goes in checked luggage, including one battery, with a spare battery in a fire-safe bag within hand baggage. Emirates are a good airline, but always follow the rules.

I fly London-Dubai, Dubai-Cape Town, Cape Town-Dubai, and Dubai-London several times each year. Our drone goes in checked luggage, including one battery, with a spare battery in a fire-safe bag within hand baggage. Emirates are a good airline, but always follow the rules.

Thank you i appreciate you're reply. Now i am planning to buy a good hard case for my p4p.

The only thing worries me is how the ground control or people that get the luggage from the plane on/off how they handle those luggage's.

thank you

If it is in a hard case it should be fine. Some baggage sortation systems read the bar code on the bag tag and then use a mechanical arm that "kicks" the bag down a side chute. As long as the drone is well packed and the gimbal secured, you should have no problem. My only concern would be if the bag was misloaded on the wrong flight and went missing.

For safety reasons, we can’t allow drones on board as cabin baggage. Drones can be accepted as checked-in baggage only. If you have a drone in your checked-in baggage you’ll be asked to either secure the Lithium batteries within the drone or remove the batteries and carry them in your cabin baggage. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to our flights from an airline that has accepted drones as cabin baggage.
If this is an airline policy, they seem totally ignorant about drones in regards to safety. I wouldn't fly this airline simply from their stupidity.
1. The risk of flying on a plane is from the BATTERIES, the drone. The batteries need to be accessible in case something shorts to potentially cause a fire.
2. The fact they say it's OK to install an 87WH battery in a drone that's checked is LESS SAFE than a battery that's removed and carried on. Although doing that is legal to do even in the US, it's clearly less safe, and stupid IMO.
3. The risk of carrying a drone on-board as carry-on is the same as carrying on a laptop, practically zero.

Some airlines are forbidding laptops, in fear of someone cleverly being able to put a bomb inside. Sometimes an airline will ask you to turn on the laptop, but that's faded away in favor of xRay machines seeing inside them. Same with drones, they could easily see inside them to eliminate any threat of something bad inside the drone. It makes no sense to forbid taking drones as carry-on in a backpack, unless they are claiming it's a religious problem, which also makes no sense to the average human being.

I won't go on a cruise ship because they don't allow drones to brought aboard. I suppose they fear their guests would fly and offend the locals at the ports they visit. Maybe someday that will change.

Many cruise lines do allow them on the ship - you just can't fly from the ship. Cruising can be really enjoyable. I'm wondering if the Emirates thing has to do with the TSA electronics ban?

If this is an airline policy, they seem totally ignorant about drones in regards to safety. I wouldn't fly this airline simply from their stupidity.
1. The risk of flying on a plane is from the BATTERIES, the drone. The batteries need to be accessible in case something shorts to potentially cause a fire.
2. The fact they say it's OK to install an 87WH battery in a drone that's checked is LESS SAFE than a battery that's removed and carried on. Although doing that is legal to do even in the US, it's clearly less safe, and stupid IMO.
3. The risk of carrying a drone on-board as carry-on is the same as carrying on a laptop, practically zero.

Some airlines are forbidding laptops, in fear of someone cleverly being able to put a bomb inside. Sometimes an airline will ask you to turn on the laptop, but that's faded away in favor of xRay machines seeing inside them. Same with drones, they could easily see inside them to eliminate any threat of something bad inside the drone. It makes no sense to forbid taking drones as carry-on in a backpack, unless they are claiming it's a religious problem, which also makes no sense to the average human being.

I won't go on a cruise ship because they don't allow drones to brought aboard. I suppose they fear their guests would fly and offend the locals at the ports they visit. Maybe someday that will change.

Exactly my point. Why this airline forbidding bringing the drone as carry-on as if you can fly it inside the plane.

We'll i know someone and everybody knows who already done it last year.

Maybe because of this guy they change their rule recently?

Many cruise lines do allow them on the ship - you just can't fly from the ship. Cruising can be really enjoyable. I'm wondering if the Emirates thing has to do with the TSA electronics ban?
Thanks for that encouragement. I had the impression that all cruise lines forbid bringing them on the boat. It would be good to have a chart to know who allows them. I wonder if that exists.

I certainly wouldn't fly them from the ship. I only want my drone on shore.

Thank you i appreciate you're reply. Now i am planning to buy a good hard case for my p4p.

The only thing worries me is how the ground control or people that get the luggage from the plane on/off how they handle those luggage's.

thank you
At check-in, ask if they will put a couple of “fragile” stickers on the case.

Thanks for that encouragement. I had the impression that all cruise lines forbid bringing them on the boat. It would be good to have a chart to know who allows them. I wonder if that exists.

I certainly wouldn't fly them from the ship. I only want my drone on shore.
I know for a fact that Carnival allows them to be carried on board.

The factory DJI grey box is good enough to be directly put inside the check in luggage ?

I have flown emirates via dubai twice and both times I had two drones in hand luggage no issue.

Has anyone here used Emirates Airlines going to Dubai or exiting Dubai with their Phantom's?

Did you put you're Phantom in checked-in or carry-on luggage?

I am going back again to Philippines this coming April and recently i saw some issues that you need to put your drone as checked-in baggage. I did this before last December 2017 i encounter no issue at all. But this is my first time using Emirates with a drone.

I am using ALTA SKY 49 Vanguard as my backpack for my p4p.

What is the policy for transporting Dangerous Goods? | Baggage and lost property | Emirates

Simple because i do not want to put my drone as checked-in baggage.

Any thoughts?

14th feb I traveled with emirates from Kuwait to Bali , transit in Dubai with my drone as hand carry in hard case, the batteries removed and in protection bags, I had minimum issues with security. I was stopped when initially boarding the plane in Kuwait but after security understood what it was I was free to board. I was not questioned when transiting in Dubai or when arriving in Bali

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4