HUNGARIAN AIRPORT REFUSE DRONES TO BE TAKEN ON BOARD AS CARRY ON LUGGAGE

Reaction score
I have just returned from a trip to Hungary flying out from Stansted London having taken my P4 there to film. This was my first visit abroad with my Drone. I was concerned that I would be stopped going through the security check at the airport and that they would have an issue with my Li-Po batteries. I had the batteries in a Li-Po bag. Although they are rated as being 81.3Wh and permissible as a carry on you never really know how they (security) will react. I carried my Drone in my backpack as a ‘carryon’ bag (rotors removed of course and packed in ‘checked in’ luggage) and had no problems going through security at Stansted Airport. My problem was the return journey through Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport. To my surprise the issue was not the batteries but the P4 drone. The Hungarian Aviation authority have apparently now in their wisdom directed Budapest Airport to refuse any drones to be taken on board flights and that they must be ‘checked in’ baggage. Despite my protest and instance that the drone would be damaged if it went through ‘checked in; luggage I was forced to check my backpack into ‘checked in’ luggage………...and yes when it arrived back in the UK the bag was crushed and my drone damaged.

The Hungarian Aviation Authority have ruled that a drone could be used as dangerous weapon on an aircraft………. I enquired as to what part of the smooth lightweight aerodynamic body they felt was a particular hazardous but that fell on deaf ears.

I had searched the internet prior to leaving to see what issues people had had travelling on planes with drones and all the issues I have read centred around batteries. I have written to Ryanair regarding this as they appear to be completed oblivious to the ruling as I am sure other airlines are too – for anyone interested you can see my letter of complaint here.

Dropbox - Ryanair - Letter 1.pdf

So be warned if you are travelling with your drone abroad you could be refused permission to take it on board and it may have to be checked in.

Hi Neil. Nice to know as I travel to Hungary regularly and wouldn't mind taking a quad. Can you update us as I'd love to know what the outcome was?

I was thinking of talking it with me too,to my trip to Hungary...but after that post...neah....What if i packed it in my aluminium case and then "checked in"?Will the drone survive?

I was thinking of talking it with me too,to my trip to Hungary...but after that post...neah....What if i packed it in my aluminium case and then "checked in"?Will the drone survive?
Best bet.... If the worst happens and you can't take it back home...then as silly as it sounds bring a flat pack cardboard box and bubble wrap.... If they refuse your entry then out the drone in the case, in the box with bubble wrap. If they do let you check in with it....well... How hard is it to get rid of a box and bubble wrap in the bin ;-)

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi everyone, are there any new information in regard to the security at the Budapest airport? I will be flying from there next week, and was wondering if it it still not possible to take a drone in hang luggage.

Hi everyone, are there any new information in regard to the security at the Budapest airport? I will be flying from there next week, and was wondering if it it still not possible to take a drone in hang luggage.
I just got back from Hungary...Aegean Airlines....The only problem was at Hungarian airport.They did not let me take it with me as "hand luggage" because "these are the rules" they said ,so i had to let it travell with all the heavy luggages till the next airport(Athens).A hard case or hardshell backbag is a must!Good luck

PS.Luckily my bird is still onepiece after that

I just got back from Hungary...Aegean Airlines....The only problem was at Hungarian airport.They did not let me take it with me as "hand luggage" because "these are the rules" they said ,so i had to let it travell with all the heavy luggages till the next airport(Athens).A hard case or hardshell backbag is a must!Good luck

PS.Luckily my bird is still onepiece after that

Thanks for the response! I will use the original P4 case, and hopefully it will survive

Hey guys, it's my first post here :) I've had the same problem last time at Budapest. They didn't let me take my Phantom 3 Pro because of "new rules". Last time I flew in may it was ok but now in december suddenly it wasn't anymore. I left it at the baggage storage facility for 37 euros until I came back a week later. Bummer.

Hey guys, it's my first post here :) I've had the same problem last time at Budapest. They didn't let me take my Phantom 3 Pro because of "new rules". Last time I flew in may it was ok but now in december suddenly it wasn't anymore. I left it at the baggage storage facility for 37 euros until I came back a week later. Bummer.
What if you sent it with the heavy staff in a hardshell bag to your destination?

I understand now or at the beginning of 2017 in Hungary you have to have a license and insurance to fly a drone

What if you sent it with the heavy staff in a hardshell bag to your destination?
That would have worked but I didn't want to have my drone thrown around by baggage handlers or even lost like the last time in Beauvais. Still, this rule is stupid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic