Battery Restrictions

Reaction score
For those who transport their drones with the batteries in them, this may be the beginning of the end of carrying them on the plane or even in checked bags. They don't mention drone batteries, but I would hate to show up at the airport and have to leave my batteries behind. This is an Air Canada policy as I've not checked other airline policies.
Small lithium battery-powered vehicles
Small lithium battery-powered vehicles are not accepted in either checked baggage or carry-on baggage due to safety concerns associated to the lithium batteries that power them.

• Vehicles not accepted include hoverboards, electric skateboards, airwheels, mini-Segways and balance wheels.
  • Please contact Air Canada Cargo for detailed information on the safe shipment of your vehicle.
If customers wish to use Air Canada Cargo, please be aware that they will accept small lithium battery powered vehicles; however they must meet enhanced and stringent conditions. Customers should check with Air Canada Cargo well in advance of travel for more information.

* On smaller aircraft (e.g. Jazz Dash-8 or CRJ) with limited onboard storage space, customers are asked to deposit their carry-on items on a cart as they board the plane. Battery-powered devices and spare batteries must always be removed from carry-on baggage that is deposited on such carts and carried into the aircraft cabin.

Lame, I think the "hoverboards" are bringing this on (they arent allowed at the international airport near me at all), but I wouldnt be surprised if uav's are included or follow.

Reactions: spindrift
I traveled within Canada last summer with mine, even on AC with no problems. Next summer I will be getting their policy in writing before showing up at the airport.

I just took an air Canada flight from Canada to mexico 3 days ago with my p3 in my carry-on. no problems.

I'm wondering if there is a capacity limit that they look at. Maybe drones are not on their radar...yet.

Most airlines have a policy that describes what they will allow (capacity & weight). Most all airline allow a certain weight of lipos in cabin. No airlines that I know of allow lipos in the cargo hold on passenger flights.

So what about, or is the difference, then laptop batteries on a flight?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl