Electrical towers...

Reaction score
Should these kind of towers pose any threat? I had a phantom randomly lose contact with me the other day and initiated RTH when I was probably about 200 feet from one.

Attachments

• IMG_4389.JPG
    IMG_4389.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 480
200' away? Negative . . .

100' away? Negative . . .

50' away? Negative . . .

see where we're going with this? Many people are using sUAS to inspect powerlines each and every day and from much closer rangers than listed above. It's smart to always be cautious and always think "What if it happened now what is my emergency plan of action".

Should these kind of towers pose any threat? I had a phantom randomly lose contact with me the other day and initiated RTH when I was probably about 200 feet from one.
I have these approximately 200 yards away from my house, fly over them all the time, no issues. My caution would be to watch out for the support lines that are above the actual power lines. They can be very difficult to see, but if you keep your altitude above the top of the tower itself you will be ok.

Reactions: BigAl07
I definitely don't know much about power lines, but I had a complete loss of wifi signal with my P3S when it went behind some that looked similar to the ones in the picture. I'm pretty sure my controller signal was fine, but as soon as the wires were between me and the AC, the screen went black. There weren't any trees or even houses nearby. I don't know??

Technically it seems to me that potential for interference depends on the voltage on the lines, the number of lines on the tower(s), and whether the lines are carrying AC or DC.

Regardless, do NOT get the aircraft between the lines!

Technically it seems to me that potential for interference depends on the voltage on the lines, the number of lines on the tower(s), and whether the lines are carrying AC or DC.
Technically, the lines in question do not carry DC. You can thank Nicola Tesla for that, just saying.

Reactions: Capn Dave and zlot
Reactions: Capn Dave
I was studying electronics and winding "Tesla coils" when I was fifteen, thanks.

I'm confused...

I brought up general cautions about flying close to transmission lines and towers. One of the things I pointed out was that the danger depends somewhat on whether the lines are carrying AC or DC. Most folks looking at the towers would have no clue about which is which.

You said I could thank Tesla for the pictured transmission lines not carrying DC.

I showed that some transmission lines can and do in fact carry DC.

You tell me to read up on Tesla's history. What's the point?

Why not just give folks the spoiler instead??

Last edited:
Come on guys.... this is completely "off topic" and spiraling into a bad place. Let's drop it and get back on track again.

Reactions: BigAl07
I have these approximately 200 yards away from my house, fly over them all the time, no issues. My caution would be to watch out for the support lines that are above the actual power lines. They can be very difficult to see, but if you keep your altitude above the top of the tower itself you will be ok.
I have some a little farther away, so I assume they are not the reason I keep losing signal. Could my two satellite dishes be a cause of the problems?

Satellite dishes for TV reception just receive radio signals by catching them on the dish and reflecting them into a collector mounted facing the dish. They could block radio transmissions if they're between you and the drone but that's about it.

Edit: That may not be totally accurate. It depends on the TV service. But the frequencies are wildly different so interference potential should be minimal.

I fly over some by my home, no problems until I get about 2000 feet out and then rth kicks in. These power lines generate huge amounts of magnetic interference. I agree with bigal 200 feet away should not affect anything

Ac can, and does, put out EMI. Also, be aware that these days, powerlines usually carry data signals, and these also can be very 'leaky'. So, I woud avoid them like the plague. I love my old HTDc, but even that I would give a wide berth. (if it was still around, lol).
Good old Tesla, a bloke ahead of his time, and vested interests had the knives out for him.

My understanding is that EMF can affect your compass and mess with GPS flying mode. But like Big Al states, 200 feet away should not cause problem with your aircraft. But does that mean you should go there? I would say NO!

Also, that thin wire that goes across the top and is hard to see is not a support wire. It is what is known as a Static Wire and is an important electrical component of the transmission line.

Power companies do inject Carrier signals into their power lines that carry data. But I believe these are at low enough power levels that EMF would likely cause issues far sooner than the Carrier signals.

And be aware that power companies use full size helicopters to patrol transmission lines. The use of drones to patrol lines is gaining ground now too. SO STAY AWAY!

Not to mention that power companies are becoming increaingly concerned about terrorist attacks against their infrastructure. They are actively taking steps to avoid attacks.

So do yourself a favor and steer clear of transmission lines. IMHO, you are more likely to face fines for flying around transmission lines than for other violations - flying over people or moving vehicles for instance.

Within a quarter mile of my house I have high voltage transmission lines hung from those huge towers, cell phone tower and a radio transmission tower. I fly above, below around , up, down and all about all three of them with no signal loss.

Point of interest, small flaws or damage in the conductors of high-voltage transmission lines can cause weird emissions and interference.

Example: A friend of mine had issues with TV reception and then found out there was a line running under the street outside where she lived, when the crew came to dig up the street and put up a tent full of fancy hardware for a week to repair the line.

Life is like a box o' chocolates...

Within a quarter mile of my house I have high voltage transmission lines hung from those huge towers, cell phone tower and a radio transmission tower. I fly above, below around , up, down and all about all three of them with no signal loss.
Strictly speaking,, the issue might not be signal loss, i/e/ you lose it, and left with nothing, but more likely a signal so messed up and, well, interfered with, that the electronics you rely on to control your drone, can not cope with such a degraded load of hash and mush. Think along the lines of an EMP weapon, but very much less of a brute- but still capable of causing mayhem with your drone. Some folk get away with it, some don't. I for one would not risk it. I keep away from OHPL's and cell towers, just in case. Maybe uncessarily so? I'm OK with that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12