DVR for recording OSD data

Driffill said:
Search eBay for a 12v 2ch DVR, they are usually under the security category. I bought one for about $80 (I've posted links on here before). The one I have records video on 1 channel and only takes pics on the 2nd (I don't use the 2nd channel, tho I'm tempted to put a pinhole cam looking at my Tx to log the switch positions etc).

Driffill,

Last time I went flying I had a cloverleaf antenna work itself lose and fall off the phantom, I was able to use a spare and keep flying for what I was trying to do, but once I got access to a laptop, I pulled up the last frame on the DVR, checked the GPS co-ords, went back and found the antenna within a minute :)

How are you getting GPS coordinates on your recorded OSD footage? I only get the standard DJI mini iOSD display. Are you using a different iOSD...ah maybe the Mark II???

Tuanks

I'm using an FBOSD ghost.

I'm not a fan of dji products that are newly released lol, I prefer to wait until any issues are sorted out, if ever. If I was buying a complete new set up today, I'd go a V2 phantom with zenmuse and maybe iOSD.

But as you mention, the actual GPS co-ordinates are important to me so until DJI fixes that issue with the iOSD I'd probably still look at a 3rd party one. What I like the most about the FBOSD (and why I prefer this to some others) is that is connects to the phantom GPS puck. So the GPS data seen should be exactly the same as what the naza is seeing, if I have a "GPS fault" It should record and log it (I have a sd card logger on the FBOSD too).

However, if the fault is in how DJI change from the Ublox to Proprietary GPS protocol, it won't log it on the OSD! But a FlyTrex will ;)

Between the FlyTrex data and the "Raw" GPS data, I can confirm/eliminate GPS as a cause if I have a flyaway (and am able to recover it).

Earlier, I said:
I found a really cheap DVR on eBay, it is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130937804818?ss ... 1423.l2649 Unfortunately it only records at 640. It is cheap, though (did I say that?) so I ordered one just to check it out.

It came in yesterday and I've spent the last 30 hours figuring it out. What a laugh! This one has the stereotypical near-English instructions - only even more bizarre. If you do the default setup, it installs adware and redirects your home page and adds toolbars (even if you say no). It requires a video monitor to set up. It requires a Babel Fish to figure out how to get to the menus and then set them to English. It is sensitive as hell to bumping (it stops recording and scrambles the recording that was ongoing). It doesn't like Class 4 cards at all but seems to work well with Class 10. I did 7 recordings or so (after at least 45 failures because I didn't know the combinations - did I mention the instructions were weird as hell?). Out of the 7, I got 5 good ones. The 5 good ones were actually very good. It is usable but it is not a professional piece of gear. I will use it as a backup... which will probably fail because I will forget the key combinations if I wait more than a few days.

My Japan DVR is delayed for some reason. So I set up a kludged DVR using the cheapo one I mentioned earlier. I hooked it to a receiver and put it in the window sill and then went outside and flew the airframe. This was an F550 but it would have been similar with the Phantom. The DVR actually did quite well. The recording is in the inset of the linked video. Color is lost occasionally but that wasn't the DVR problem. Watch the video in full screen to see the OSD data. To see it full screen, I made a link instead of an embedded video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_kIihVGHho

The Japan FPV DVR arrived this morning - wasn't expecting it since USPS said it was in Chicago. I fly out early tomorrow. Quickly reassembled the Phantom and tested the DVR. Took about 10 minutes to figure everything out (without reading the instructions). Night and day difference from the cheapo DVR. I took the cheapo one out of the travel case and slipped this one in.

It is very small so it wouldn't work as a real FPV screen but just about everything else is perfect. It records easily and it has excellent tools on-board, including a battery. I am looking forward to using it at the next stop.

Glad to hear you got it before your trip. You'll enjoy the vids.

Groan. I arrived with a bad cable. Went seaching for two days (in Lake Havasu) and could not find any RC shop with cables. After 3rd trip to Radio Shack, I wandered over to their junk sale and found a 3/32 cable with only audio out. However, when I hooked it up, it worked! Something is wrong but I now have a working DVR.

There is another long story about the Diversity charger - but I forgot to bring one with me and was able to Klugde one together. I'm back in business.

EMCSQUAR said:
TXhillcountryphantom said:
Here is a great, tiny SD card recorder with display and video/audio in cable and video/audio/power out cable. Rechargeable and awesome I use it on every flight just Velcro-Ed below my right controller stick. This is a must have and perfect size!

http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=772

That's exactly the same unit from FPV Japan...

I think several places rebadge that same unit, here's another: http://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-dx600-dvr.html

Same one as Leo posted above from readymadeRC.

No idea who the real source is.

I just received a Lumenier DX600 DVR, but no users manual included, and can't find one online. Anyone have a PDF or link to instructions they can send? Trying to connect it to my Fatshark Attitude SD's and also Lilliput 664.

Thanks.
Kelly

wkf94025 said:
I just received a Lumenier DX600 DVR, but no users manual included, and can't find one online. Anyone have a PDF or link to instructions they can send? Trying to connect it to my Fatshark Attitude SD's and also Lilliput 664.

Thanks.
Kelly

Try these, I believe it's the same piece of hardware: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/manual ... 000DVR.pdf

Hi, Kelly! (PM sent)

To all with this DVR:

One thing that I noticed is that if you are recording and have "no signal" (as displayed on the DVR display) it may corrupt the .avi file that is recording and lock up the DVR. (the corruption is fixable, but a right pain to do.)

Now, I never leave the DVR recording when I shut off the Phantom's video transmitter e.g., when changing flight batteries....just a heads-up on that...

:cool:

Thanks OI and Skeeter. Manual helps a lot. What are you doing for cabling from googles or LCD into DVR?

Kelly

Originally, I ran it straight from the dji receiver into the DVR. Now, I just take it from the Boscam diversity output into the DVR with the supplied cables and a video "RCA" type barrel adapter. .

Hope that helps. .

Update to this. I have had no end of bad luck with DVRs. The JapanFPV one died about a month after I got it. The cheapo one from eBay died later. The capture stick from eBay died.

I think my luck might have changed. I got a Neewer DVR/FPV screen from Amazon (big deal about the seller - claims to be from New Jersey but actually drop ships from China so expect a BIG delay).

This one is superb. The resolution is great, it can be seen in daylight. The recordings are great for normal resolution. Nice contrast. Kinda expensive but since it is also a rx, it isn't a bad deal. It can sub as a ground rx (32 channels) but can also take an input from a Diversity if you like.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUL ... UTF8&psc=1

I finally got around to soldering up a cable to connect the Fatshark / Duo 3.5mm jack with the 2.5mm AV in jack on the Lumenier DX600 DVR that I received months ago. Very happy to have it working. Device works well. $115 from GetFPV. Cabling a nuisance, but eventually worth it. Note that Lilliput 664/W AV in jack is a longer 3.5mm than the Fatshark / Uno 3.5mm jack.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
I finally got around to soldering up a cable to connect the Fatshark / Duo 3.5mm jack with the 2.5mm AV in jack on the Lumenier DX600 DVR that I received months ago. Very happy to have it working. Device works well. $115 from GetFPV. Cabling a nuisance, but eventually worth it. Note that Lilliput 664/W AV in jack is a longer 3.5mm than the Fatshark / Uno 3.5mm jack.

Kelly

Sounds like something I will want to do at some point. I have a big ball of much too long cable between my RMRC DVR and the Uno. And I want to be able to connect the Uno to the Lilliput as an optional second source. I may hit you up for some details on what you've done.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl