Dual Battery Mod

I have gone down the same route but not flown with them yet..
I bought my two modded new DJI batteries from Paul at FPVCustoms.com who did the mod for me, so I can't help you with that. For the total of $300 each, he included a brand new modded DJI battery with parallel connectors out the back for the two external batteries, the fiberglass battery mounting plates for each side, which mount in between the strut screws and the aircraft, two velcro external battery straps to attach the externals to the underside of the plates, and two 1600 mAH Tenergy lipos, weighing 172g each. You can use any external batteries you want with it which fit the yellow connectors. The external battery charger is $65 extra on Amazon.[/QUOTEgoe

So I get 29-30 minutes with my dual LiHV Hyperion G6 2400s every time. Quite happy with it.
Just saw this on eBay: Modification Parts For Extending Flying Time /Two Batteries for DJI Phantom 3
Amazing how this guy relocated so many parts. Seems to work, according to his findings, but still odd. And less power than 2x2400, plus probably more weight because of the parts.
To a profane like myself, seems a nice and clean mod! (except for the nasty dirty nails of the guy in the videos.. :eek: ) :)

I think I found my next mod. I like the clean look .
I ordered one to test out. The stock battery weighing only 365 gram, it might be superior to LiHVs. But I am not sure the bird will be as stable as before, with the relocation of many parts. What do you think, phantom13flyer?

I ordered one to test out. The stock battery weighing only 365 gram, it might be superior to LiHVs. But I am not sure the bird will be as stable as before, with the relocation of many parts. What do you think, phantom13flyer?
I watched most of the install video and it appears that most of the weight is centered underneath the bird . For what I can see anyway I think it will be just as stable as a bird with no battery modification. I'm going to watch the video again and double check but it looks pretty thought out. Definitely keep us posted on your results .

Hello set my personal best at 9.5 km using the HV Hyperion 1800 mah.19km.landing with 25%.. But it's cold temps when testing -6-7C.nanotech 1800 mah 10% less.have ordered the 2400 HV.

Hello set my personal best at 9.5 km using the HV Hyperion 1800 mah.19km.landing with 25%.. But it's cold temps when testing -6-7C.nanotech 1800 mah 10% less.have ordered the 2400 HV.
Congratulations sir I know what a good feeling personal best can be, and what a relief that it landed at your feet[emoji41]

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hello just want to post my battery mod first I have shaved off 6grams off battery tray,then I have shortened the wires on the batteries another 6grams.have mounted my tray on the legs tucking the battery away from prop wash.this mod allows you fit your p3 in case no removing battery trays isn't that nice.i am flying in sub zero temps but I have gotten 20 mins of fly time.19.3654 km is my best.fly safe
image.jpeg
with Hyperion HV 1800 mah but 2400 is on its way can hardly wait to fly for 30 mins!!!

Last edited:
As I stated before, get the 2400 Hyperions LiHV. They last a lot longer. Forget Nanotech ;-)

Next up is a test with 2700 ThunderPowers. They are not LiHV, normal LiPO, but weigh only 234 grams for 2700 mAh.
I am hoping they outperform the 2400 Hyperions (210 grams for 2400), but I have my doubts...
Thunder Power RC TP2700-4SP+25
(and I need to solder the XT60s on myself, which I don't particularly like.)

Next up is a test with 2700 ThunderPowers. They are not LiHV, normal LiPO, but weigh only 234 grams for 2700 mAh.
I am hoping they outperform the 2400 Hyperions (210 grams for 2400), but I have my doubts...
Thunder Power RC TP2700-4SP+25
(and I need to solder the XT60s on myself, which I don't particularly like.)
Hyperion is 202 grams 300 mah per battery more will be no use as the thunder power weight is 32 more grams x2-60 more gr for only total of 600 mah don't think u will gain a minute,468 grams over a pound it's getting up there.good luck but it will be interesting to know how it all works look forward to your next post.as for me I was thinking about 2 HV 1800 on each side or maybe 3 battery combo..165x3-495 gr 5400 mah still not great..or 202x3-606gr 7200 mah

Last edited:
Hyperion is 202 grams 300 mah per battery more will be no use as the thunder power weight is 32 more grams x2-60 more gr for only total of 600 mah don't think u will gain a minute,468 grams over a pound it's getting up there.good luck but it will be interesting to know how it all works look forward to your next post.as for me I was thinking about 2 HV 1800 on each side or maybe 3 battery combo..165x3-495 gr 5400 mah still not great..or 202x3-606gr 7200 mah
Hyperions 2400s are 210 grams. I have them here and weighed them. Don't believe the manufacturers!
Using 1 or 3 batteries is usually bad, as the balance is lost. I tried to use just 1 big battery and it was not the way to go.

Last edited:
Hyperions 2400s are 210 grams. I have them here and weighed them. Don't believe the manufacturers!
1 or 3 batteries are usually bad, as the balance is lost. I tried 1 battery and it was bad.
lol thax for the info saves me the pain..I have shortened my wires eliminating 3 gram per battery.it helps

1 or 3 batteries are usually bad, as the balance is lost. I tried 1 battery and it was bad.
Are you stating fred that 1/3 of hyperion batteries you received were junk products? Also lets not kid ourselves, i love finding the right bat/flight time combo but going much above motor lift spec you could see a possibility that even though it handles fine maybe pretty hard on the components.may result in a crash landing 20 flights in.

Ahhh, who cares[emoji41]

Are you stating fred that 1/3 of hyperion batteries you received were junk products? Also lets not kid ourselves, i love finding the right bat/flight time combo but going much above motor lift spec you could see a possibility that even though it handles fine maybe pretty hard on the components.may result in a crash landing 20 flights in.

Ahhh, who cares[emoji41]
No I am not. I am saying that you should use 2 aux batteries, not 1 or 3, because the balance of the P3 is then lost.

So I get 29-30 minutes with my dual LiHV Hyperion G6 2400s every time. Quite happy with it.
Just saw this on eBay: Modification Parts For Extending Flying Time /Two Batteries for DJI Phantom 3
Amazing how this guy relocated so many parts. Seems to work, according to his findings, but still odd. And less power than 2x2400, plus probably more weight because of the parts.
Yes I seen a guy add another battery to his inspire was thinking about doing the same thing with p3..Dji battery is better than most Lipo and your buying the same batteries.not more lipos and now chargers not to mention Lipo bags and most lipos are hazardous.i want a 3D printer haha ...aaaaahhhh but it won't fit in your case with that mod noooo not 4 me...not to mention the total weight of that mod it must be very high!!!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures