Drones are annoying

I know what you're thinking "what?!? How dare him!" Bare with me....

I've been asking myself this question recently: If I didn't own a drone, would I be annoyed if I routinely saw one buzzing around my neighborhood, flying over my lake filming boats and seemingly "always being around" when it's a nice day or when I'm outside relaxing with my family on a nice evening?

After some thought and self reflection, I've come to the conclusion that yes, I would be annoyed. Drones are annoying. They are cool to fly but if I'm not flying it, I don't want one buzzing around me, over my house, or orbiting near me and my wife/kids on the boat.

I suspect if others were honest with themselves they would come to the same conclusion.

Here's the thing, I'm not a big drone film adventurer who packs up my P3 and heads out to capture scenic views of whatever. So, I tend to fly where it's convenient, near my house. I imagine a lot of other folks on here do too.

After the novelty of seeing "one of those drone thingys" buzzing around, I suspect a majority of people in my neighborhood and on my lake are probably sick and tired of seeing/hearing it by now. Nobody has ever said anything or complained but I am beginning to get a little self conscious about flying it more than a few times a month.

I think I could make most of those same complaints about nearly anything... especially smokers. Or people that have to have their 'thump thump' rap-crap blasting. I don't want to smell someone else's cigarettes when I'm out for a walk. Nor do i want to hear someone's "Ho's be trippin' dawg <thumb>" music out of their 1970's car with 37" tires.

Heck, If I'm in my kayak enjoying a quite day on the water, maybe I don't want to hear your boat motor your your screaming kids.

So basically, something you enjoy and don't think twice about is going to annoy someone out there. and something they do is going to annoy you. Welcome to life.

o_O Gotta say, I live in the country.:D..Guns, dirt bikes, quads (4 wheel kind), chainsaws, mowers, tractors, etc...nobody gives a rats ***. Live and let live. :cool:

Oh, another thing that's annoying,: a phantom with ......... FLOATS on the landing gear! Why people why? As if the " greased rock" aerodynamics of the phantom wasn't enough, now let's make it even worse so that if it falls from the heavens, it will land right way up gently on the floats and all will be saved. Or let's attach the new craze "getter" or whatever it's called, so that when it sinks it will then float to the surface so you can spend more money trying to fix the "greased rock"
My Tourette is kicking in, better go now
First off, this warning is for everyone, not just ray ronni, so let's keep it civil in here. No more belittling other members by

The floats are for water landing\crashes, not for saving it should it crash on land. Also, I use a "Getter-Back" on mine in the event it of an unplanned water landing. Sure the quad will be for parts use but the memory card is what I am after. Parachutes work also and do not tangle in the props in the examples I have seen but they are butt ugly on your bird.

Remember, play nice!

First off, this warning is for everyone, not just ray ronni, so let's keep it civil in here. No more belittling other members by

The floats are for water landing\crashes, not for saving it should it crash on land. Also, I use a "Getter-Back" on mine in the event it of an unplanned water landing. Sure the quad will be for parts use but the memory card is what I am after. Parachutes work also and do not tangle in the props in the examples I have seen but they are butt ugly on your bird.

Remember, play nice!

So you are warning me for having a sense of humor?? Or warning me because you felt belittled, which was not the intended motive.
You obviously are not getting the fact that this is a humorous thread and not meant to be taken seriously, no need to defend the accessories. Everybody has the right to do what they like to their drone, I'm pretty certain we all understand that.

Last edited:
So you are warning me for having a sense of humor?? Or warning me because you felt belittled, which was not the intended motive.
You obviously are not getting the fact that this is a humorous thread and not meant to be taken seriously, no need to defend the accessories. Everybody has the right to do what they like to their drone, I'm pretty certain we all understand that.
Seriously? There was no offense or confusion on my part. I said it was for everyone... I thought I made that point clear. Humor on the Internet can be confused easily so I err on the caution. This is not an off topic post. Please keep on topic Ray. (See, that was clearly for you).

First off, this warning is for everyone, not just ray ronni, so let's keep it civil in here. No more belittling other members

Yes I am serious, if you had left it at "everyone" it would have been fine but instead you choose to single me out by using my name, and that it's only because I hit a nerve with you since you do use those gadgets.

So now that you felt offended, where no offence was intended, you choose to do a "warning" instead of seeing the humour. I believe everyone understood that this thread had turned into a humorous thread, that is everyone but you, so don't misuse your admin powers.

Drones can be annoying, or can be used in an annoying manner.

There is this one youtuber who flies a P4 over highways and bridges at what I'd call a not so safe altitude above passing traffic. He also flies up to people on their moving and stationary boats, and just flies up to people in general. I'm sure it is his celebrity personality he is projecting onto his drone but the people he approaches with his drone probably don't know anything other than there is a drone flying up to them while they are enjoying their peace and quiet.

Other than obeying laws and trying to obey FAA "rules", the best thing other than that is to obey the Golden Rule when flying.

I've been asking myself this question recently: If I didn't own a drone, would I be annoyed if I routinely saw one buzzing around my neighborhood, flying over my lake filming boats and seemingly "always being around" when it's a nice day or when I'm outside relaxing with my family on a nice evening?

After some thought and self reflection, I've come to the conclusion that yes, I would be annoyed. Drones are annoying. They are cool to fly but if I'm not flying it, I don't want one buzzing around me, over my house, or orbiting near me and my wife/kids on the boat.

I suspect if others were honest with themselves they would come to the same conclusion.

Here's the thing, I'm not a big drone film adventurer who packs up my P3 and heads out to capture scenic views of whatever. So, I tend to fly where it's convenient, near my house. I imagine a lot of other folks on here do too.

After the novelty of seeing "one of those drone thingys" buzzing around, I suspect a majority of people in my neighborhood and on my lake are probably sick and tired of seeing/hearing it by now. Nobody has ever said anything or complained but I am beginning to get a little self conscious about flying it more than a few times a month.

It'd be cool if Google flew "sky view" drones like they have "street view" cars. I'd be happy to see one coming to make a memorable "pose". Had a buddy do that for street view.

I don't find it humorous for GD and I use those same getter back's on all 3 of my birds by the way .
What I see is you calling out TJ who I don't see misusing anything .
I do see this coming though .
View attachment 56729

So you only find humor in things that are not part of your life

Hey if you for a moment think that I really care about your buddy tj feelings getting hurt because some body made fun of his toy then obviously you have the same mentality as he does.

And if you think this is a train wreck, you obviously put too much emphasis on this forum.

You guys need to go and find some humor in your lives.
I have never backed down to any form of authority that wants to misuse it's powers and sure as hell not going to do that to this one here.

So I'm pretty sure this will be the last post of mine here in this forum of cry babies, moaners, short sighted, obtuse little boys.

Obviously there are many good people here but they don't need me to call out their names.

So you only find humor in things that are not part of your life

Hey if you for a moment think that I really care about your buddy tj feelings getting hurt because some body made fun of his toy then obviously you have the same mentality as he does.

And if you think this is a train wreck, you obviously put too much emphasis on this forum.

You guys need to go and find some humor in your lives.
I have never backed down to any form of authority that wants to misuse it's powers and sure as hell not going to do that to this one here.

So I'm pretty sure this will be the last post of mine here in this forum of cry babies, moaners, short sighted, obtuse little boys.

Obviously there are many good people here but they don't need me to call out their names.
:)

Moderator, you don't need to send me private PMs with a warning.
So it's only funny when it's not about you or your toys?
I really couldn't care less what you do, but I'm not going to back down just because your feelings got hurt about your toys in a thread that obviously had turned into a funny one. I have seen far worse serious offensive remarks, personal attacks, foul language on this forum than me marking fun of your little toys. So you do what you need to do

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: dirkclod
All I know is that the noise has become and issue, as it makes you more "visible " (nobody walks looking up searching for a drone !).
From what I heard, the industry has taking note, and all futures drones will be built taking care of reducing the noise in any way they can.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I pay enough taxes so I due fly in my neighborhood most all of the people like it except for one lady that said not to fly over her house but wont tell me where its at so who cares

Your parents aren't much into supervision?

I've been asking myself this question recently: Would I be annoyed if I routinely saw you around my neighborhood, travelling around my (?) lake filming boats and seemingly "always being around" when it's a nice day or when I'm outside relaxing with my family on a nice evening? (Remember that you're supposed to be single and that you can't have a family)

After some thought and self reflection, I've come to the conclusion that yes, I would be annoyed. You are annoying. It's cool to go to the lake but if I can't go there, I don't want you going there either, walking in front of my house, or shooting yourself some moments and memories near me and my wife/kids. Although I am entitled to do this myself while being much closer to you, I don't want you to do the same even from a distance.

Here's the thing, you're not a big film adventurer who packs up his/her camera and heads out to capture scenic views of whatever. So, you should tend to shoot where it's convenient, near your house. I imagine a lot of other folks on here do too.

After the novelty of seeing "one of those camera thingys" shooting around, I suspect a majority of people in my neighborhood and on my lake are probably sick and tired of seeing/hearing you being around by now. None of us has ever said anything or complained but you should begin to get a little self conscious about shooting moments and memories more than a few times a month.

Last edited:
Didn't read all of this thread but the Google and Bing camera cars sitting in front of my house are no different. Folks don't complain about them I guess.

Reactions: flpholt
This has to be the funniest thread i've seen on here before. :tearsofjoy:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic