Drone Mods UAV Locator - GPS Tracker

Reaction score
Item: http://www.drone-mods.com/Drone-Mods-UA ... -DM005.htm

Specs: http://www.gtxcorp.com/sites/default/fi ... T_LITE.pdf

I just received the Drone Mods UAV Locator yesterday and must say that I am pleased with the few test that I have done.

I have been using a Garmin GTU-10 and figured that I better start looking for a replacement since that unit will soon no longer work due to the termination of the AT&T 2G network.

I came across just a handful of people that actually had this unit and was surprised it was not more popular.

I made these two short video's if anyone is interested in this device.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKgyVwaJYFA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XoaYLYB3lA[/youtube]

Reactions: lb650
Did you download an app to your phone for the locator? I have the same locator and when I call the number, it sends me a text message that I open to see the maps. The messages go to to my spam email on my computer. I notice that it's not always spot on but that depends on which satellites it sees. When I get the text on my phone I can enter the gps coordinates into my Garmin hand held gps and it will guide me to the spot with compass arrow and distance to go and it changes as I get closer..

No app is needed. It sends me an email and a text message with a hyperlink that automatically opens Google Maps in my iPhone.

I created a Contact with the Phone Number assigned to my UAV Locator and added it to my favorites on my phone.

I named the contact "UAV Locator"

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    164.2 KB · Views: 2,617
So my question is. How simple is this to work in UK? and if it doesn't is there another option for the UK?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It takes a SIM card correct? Where did you get yours? what type/network?

Does it cost every time it notifies you it initialized?

Also, are you affiliated with the product? Just asking because I noticed your video on the site, and if so wanted to ask when you think it will be available again, as it is out of stock apparently..

I got my unit from drone-mods.com

The unit came all set up with a SIM card installed and activated.

I am not affiliated with the company in any way.

I made a video on how the unit worked because I was unable to find any online that went into any details. I emailed drone-mods to tell them I received the unit and was happy with the way it was working. I also directed them to my YouTube video.

They said they liked the video and asked if they could use it on their webpage.

If I like a product and it works well, I like to get the word out.

I did the same with Flytrex

Great, thank you for replying.

If they provided the SIM card, what is the cost per use, or monthly cost?

I've been back and forth on buying one of these and kind of waiting on the Traxx to become available. The longer I wait for the Traxx the more I feel it might not pan out so it looks like I will be going with the UAV Locator when they come back in stock, but before I order I have some questions. Have you noticed any difference in your flight times with the tracker attached to your Phantom? Is the weight noticeable? How about maneuverability?

Thanks, Joe.

I don't notice any difference, please keep in mind that I have always flown with a GPS tracker on my phantom. First the garmin gtu10 now the UAV locator. So it's really no difference to me.

But the UAV locator is 55g in weight, so I am sure it has some effect.

This seems like something I could really use. I'm wondering though, will this company be around for a long time? I'd hate to buy this only for it to be unusable after a few years for lack of support or other reason. Also what if your cell phone doesn't have signal in the area you are flying in? I imagine you'd have to get another GPS unit for that type of situation?

The company that actually provides the service is GTXCORP, but they only sell to resellers not the general public.

This is from their website:

What makes the Drone Mods UAV Locator different than other GPS trackers?
Our device was specifically designed for locating and retrieving unmanned aerial vehicles in the event of a loss or fly-away. The SIM card used in the Drone Mods
UAV Locator does not rely on a single carrier's network. It utilizes all the networks available in the area to triangulate your UAV's position, much the same way the
police and fire departments do when you call 911. This means you can count on getting an accurate location every time you fly. Other devices can't offer the same
dependability and reliability the Drone Mods UAV Locator can.

I was told that GTXCORP is a pretty well-supported company so it won't go down anytime soon. If worse comes to worse, you can always swap out the SIM card with another prepaid carrier I believe (never tried it, but it's possible to change cards).

Good info guys thanks! Follow up question; how are people mounting these?

I'm really trying to keep my cost low on this hobby but looking at this as a protection of my investment makes me feel justified in buying it. Plus the yearly seems cheap. I'm thinking I could use this for a lot of things, I ride my dirt bike alone quite a bit and having my family be able to check my whereabouts in an emergency would be sweet!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl