MarcoPolo, or Drone Mods UAV Locator? which is better?

Reaction score
In comparing the MarcoPolo tracker with the Drone Mods UAV Locator
from what I can gather, advantages of MarcoPolo....
1. Radio wave systems (MarcoPolo) are more accurate than GPS (UAV Locator), the UAV Locator allows you to find it within a range of a few feet up to 150 feet, the MarcoPolo, within several inches.
2. radio wave systems (MarcoPolo) are more reliable than Cellular systems (UAV Locator)
3. MarcoPolo radio transmitter attached to Phantom weighs 12g as opposed to 56grams for the UAV Locator
(how big of a deal is the difference between 12g and 56g on a Vision+ ?

not much difference in price if you add the cost of the required cellular service to the UAV Locator

advantage of the UAV Locator....
1. the range is unlimited, as long as there is cellular service, whereas the MarcoPolo only has a 2 mile range.

So I would like to hear your opinion. Is my summary complete and accurate?

MarcoPolo: http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-trac ... -recovery/

UAV Locator http://www.drone-mods.com/Drone-Mods-UA ... -DM005.htm

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Well I just went though this and decided on the Marco Polo. I did not buy the RC version of the Marco Polo so that makes my added weight to the Phantom the same as the UAV locator at 49 grams. I notice no change with the added weight. I might order a RC version at 12 grams later but its not high on my list of things to do.

Distance is not an issue unless you are worried about theft. The Marco Polo distance is fine for all my needs. I have had to go find it once already.

The blip on the map showing my location and the phantom location would make it easier to find over the Marco Polo as the Marco just is going to show you signal strength and direction. So a map system has a plus for sure.

I just like the fact the Marco Polo is very rugged, does not rely on cellular.

The Marco charge last almost 3x as long as the locator.

One thing to remember is the find my phantom will get you to the last FPV location if you are using a bird that has it.

I have the drone mods locator. I use it for other things than just my quad. Use it in your vehicle, luggage, etc. If they are stolen, they will be way more than two miles away in minutes. Actually, so can your quad.

The MarcoPolo is more like a beacon limited to the 2mile range (and I'm sure that's during "optimal conditions" with no interference such as trees, walls, etc) and the DroneMods uses cellular data so it's only limited to signal strength.

I have the Drone Mods and the guy running it is really fast and responsive to your questions. So customer support get's an A+. I also hide it in my camera bag when I'm not using my drone just in case it gets lost.

But I think either route is a good choice.

Well, if I crashed my Phantom right in my back yard, right here in New Jersey near Philly, you know what would a GPS tracker do for me?

Absolutely nothing. Even though my yard is wide open, there is a cell phone dead spot.

And if you ever jog in the woods/etc, you would know just how often and how easily you can lose GPS signal.

Cell phone reception+Gps signal = false sense of security.

Additionally, you have to maintain your SIM and keep topping it off. Just another thing to forget about. While Marco Polo may be more expensive at the onset, eventually the SIM fees add up and GPS tracker is more expensive long term.

Does either one interfere with compass calibration or transcieving?

Does either one interfere with compass calibration or transcieving?
No, but if you do add (or remove) a device like this you need to do a fresh compass calibration. Adding, removing, or moving an electronic component is one of the few reasons one SHOULD perform a compass calibration.

No, but if you do add (or remove) a device like this you need to do a fresh compass calibration. Adding, removing, or moving an electronic component is one of the few reasons one SHOULD perform a compass calibration.
I assume the tag should be in the on position while calibrating.

There was always debate about whether the GOPRO should be powered on, or if the state of WiFi mattered for compass calibrations when those were the camera of choice. In that case it never really seemed to matter.

That said, as a best practice, yes. All electronics that will be on during flight should be powered on during calibration

Reactions: sonof40
So I was looking on amazon and found the MarcoPolo radio transmitter pet tracker, but I didn't see the lightweight one for drones. This is the only one I saw.

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 1.49.24 PM.png

I read a lot of early forums and just went with the trackimo it was fairly cheap but it uses GSM technology and you can buy a mount for it on eBay specifically made to mount to the p3p think the down fall to this one is its on a service plan first year is free them it's like 60 dollars a year after that

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So I was looking on amazon and found the MarcoPolo radio transmitter pet tracker, but I didn't see the lightweight one for drones. This is the only one I saw.

View attachment 47187

I went with the Marco Polo. All of the GPS/cellular ones I've researched operate on 2G which will be discontinued by the U.S. carriers in 2017 so they'll have to be replaced at some point. That and the fact that there are several "dead zones" in my area of Florida.

I just ordered the Marco Polo and am waiting for it to arrive (tomorrow, yay!). I got mine from acesdeals.biz. Peter is great to work with and they even do layaways so you don't have to take the financial hit right away.

MARCO POLO DRONE LOCATER

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4