Drone crash and ocean recovery

Reaction score
This crash happened in June, before I joined PhantomPilots, but as most people seem to like a crash video - particularly other pilots - I thought I might provide a link.

My P4Pro lost power mid-flight and dropped into the ocean about 300 metres offshore. There is footage of the flight up to the point where the drone lost power, but most of the video details my attempt to recover the drone from the, fortunately shallow, sea bed. I wanted to get the drone back so that I could claim on my Care-Refresh policy. Subsequently however, and after reviewing the flight log, DJI replaced the drone under warranty.

Only four months later my replacement drone also crashed due to sudden power loss. Once again, DJI gave me a new one. That makes five times in three years. I suspect a design flaw, and no, it's not the battery coming loose. I continue to fly the P4 (until the Mavic 3 makes an appearance), but it's disconcerting to know that your drone can fall out of the sky at any moment.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is an excellent presentation of systematic searching and retrieving the drone.
Very educative. WoW!
Have you got any data to reveal what was the cause the drone felt down into the water?. Maybe a negative energy around there as you said that this happened more times. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony McDrone
This crash happened in June, before I joined PhantomPilots, but as most people seem to like a crash video - particularly other pilots - I thought I might provide a link.

My P4Pro lost power mid-flight and dropped into the ocean about 300 metres offshore. There is footage of the flight up to the point where the drone lost power, but most of the video details my attempt to recover the drone from the, fortunately shallow, sea bed. I wanted to get the drone back so that I could claim on my Care-Refresh policy. Subsequently however, and after reviewing the flight log, DJI replaced the drone under warranty.

Only four months later my replacement drone also crashed due to sudden power loss. Once again, DJI gave me a new one. That makes five times in three years. I suspect a design flaw, and no, it's not the battery coming loose. I continue to fly the P4 (until the Mavic 3 makes an appearance), but it's disconcerting to know that your drone can fall out of the sky at any moment.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Congratulations! I loved the "Brick" demo. Lol!

Is this just a problem with the P4Pro, or does it extend the v2 as well?

Thanks for posting. It may help anyone of us in the future.

I love your methodical approach and tenacity. I also appreciate the time you took to show us all of this and thank you for this educational presentation.
Thanks. It was just a bit of fun. Glad you enjoyed it.

Have you got any data to reveal what was the cause the drone felt down into the water?. Maybe a negative energy around there as you said that this happened more times. LOL
I hadn't thought of the 'negative energy' explanation.

s this just a problem with the P4Pro, or does it extend the v2 as well?

Thanks for posting. It may help anyone of us in the future.
If you search around on the internet you find a lot of P4s that have experienced the 'sudden loss of power' problem. Still, it's hard to know how common a problem it really is. My own experience suggests it's very common, but I might have just been unlucky.
I can't recall specifically if there were V2s among the crashes I've noted. However, as a proportion of the total P4 population I suspect there aren't that many V2s out there.

Thanks for the reply.

Did DJI report back with their findings? Was it a problem with the battery connection?

I’m still in the ‘getting to know you’ phase of the relationship with this particular drone. The drone draws so much attention that I prefer to fly it at my local club, which is only open on the weekends.

Did DJI report back with their findings? Was it a problem with the battery connection?
I never get 'findings' back from DJI. I don't think they'd ever admit to a fault in their product. It would seem to be a power problem of some sort. The flight record stops, the camera stops - everything stops, and down comes the drone. Interestingly, when I locate the wreckage - if the battery hasn't dislodged on impact and it's not underwater, the drone's lights and battery power lights will still be on. I don't know what to make of it.

The drone draws so much attention that I prefer to fly it at my local club, which is only open on the weekends.
It is a somewhat conspicuous drone - visually and noise-wise. You never know how people are going to react. There's a lot of paranoia about drones. Despite doing my best to avoid people, I've had to deal with some irate individuals. There was the farmer who threatened to shoot it down... he hadn't even seen it (just saw that I was operating one), nor had I been flying over his property.

Reactions: Tony McDrone
Yes, it’s like flying an ultralight when the engine stops. You are landing in the field directly below you. Your glide ratio is 1.0 or less.
Actually, glide ratios for ultralight aircraft are 10:1. Very, good ratio.

Reactions: HWB
Thanks. It was just a bit of fun. Glad you enjoyed it.

I hadn't thought of the 'negative energy' explanation.

If you search around on the internet you find a lot of P4s that have experienced the 'sudden loss of power' problem. Still, it's hard to know how common a problem it really is. My own experience suggests it's very common, but I might have just been unlucky.
I can't recall specifically if there were V2s among the crashes I've noted. However, as a proportion of the total P4 population I suspect there aren't that many V2s out there.
I have a V2 and I have never had a glitch of any kind after 200+ flights and I've had mine do some crazy stuff. Nowadays we seem to be competing for airspace with UFO's! Maybe I should consider myself lucky and just hang it from my ceiling while I still have it.?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31