drifting away although calibration is successfully done

Reaction score
hi Pilots

what can it be, my calibration is well done, the GPS signal there, 12 satellites present but the drone still drifts away with the wind

Regards

Michael

Reactions: scorpionreptyle
hi Pilots

what can it be, my calibration is well done, the GPS signal there, 12 satellites present but the drone still drifts away with the wind

Regards

Michael

IMU calibration done
Compass calibrated
Check compass in assistant software to ensure its within tolerances

Make sure you are not in ATTI mode ( slow flashing yellow lights)

what exactly is "IMU calibration done "

I connected the drone to the software and run there the calibration. It was all ok

what exactly is "IMU calibration done "

I connected the drone to the software and run there the calibration. It was all ok

crash1sttime is suggesting you need to be sure you have calibrated the IMU as well as the compass, I think.

Calibrate compass:

Calibrate IMU:

(There are many more informative Phantom 2 videos on YouTube if you do a search).

I must admit that the drifting problem started to occur after I had a bit rough landing. It was not really a crash, I just land bit to fast and the phantom flipen, one rotor also broke but this it.

Could this be somehow also the reason for the drifting?

Regards

Lolorek

I must admit that the drifting problem started to occur after I had a bit rough landing. It was not really a crash, I just land bit to fast and the phantom flipen, one rotor also broke but this it.

Could this be somehow also the reason for the drifting?

Regards

Lolorek

So have you recalibrated the IMU or not?

What you need to do is go through everything logically and methodically. It certainly may not just be a coincidental that the drifting started after a hard landing (and you fitted a new prop).

My first move would be to try another prop or, if you have them available, even better, a complete new set and make sure that all the props are securely mounted. If it's still the same then you can probably say it's not because of props.

Check other, easy-to-check things. Are any of the motors loose in their mountings? Is there any play in the motor bell bearings? Do any of the motor shafts look bent? Are there any indications of twisting in the shell? Do all 4 propeller tips have about the same amount of clearance from the shell?...

You'll get there in the end..... :)

Reactions: crash1sttime
This happened to one of mine in shipping. What you need to do is during the IMU calibration put a piece of paper under the side that it drifts to. What your doing is leveling the IMU, not the Phantom. Your crash caused the IMU to be off center. Or un level. You can fold the paper to make it larger if needed. If it's a large drift fold it to start with 3 or 4 folds. You might want to start with a piece of cardboard. You may need to experiment with it some. If it starts to drift the other way, then take out a fold on the paper and do another calibration. Put a small fan on the drone to keep the wifi module cool. Sometimes it takes up to 10 mins or so to do the calibration and you don't want to damage your module. Go fly it after calibration and adjust what is needed. This should work. I got mine level the first time. Make sure you don't move it during the calibration. It needs to be perfectly still. Might want to make sure the drone is cool before you start. Good luck. Happy flying!

My calibration trick is this

find a flat surface, get a piece of glass that fits on all 4 props, use a spirit level to make sure its level in all directions, use paper or playing cards to get the quad level, then power on and run full IMU calibration

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20