Dreaded beep.. is it the motor?

Reaction score
Hi all

Really need some help from all you experts out there! I was flying my P3 SE the other day when out of sight, the drone just fell from the sky -didnt hit anything, flying at 50ft or so..just dropped. I ran round to where I though it could be and just found a prop in a ditch. To cut a long story short, after about 45 mins I found it upside down in a pond, completely submerged. Straight to B&Q, bought a toolkit and ripped the drone apart and put it in the immersion cupboard to dry for 5 days.
Today I reassembled it completely to test. On turning on, one motor (I am pretty sure the one that lost the prop) makes a mild thud and I get a 4 beep per second lound beeping sound from the drone. It connects to wifi, I get a camera image on the phone (although the camera is not centred or level) so all else seems OK.

Has my motor blown, is it an easy job to replace and how do I find out what happened in flight?

Many thanks to all for reading

Fredzefisher

As long as you had RC communications with your drone. Upload the flight data .txt file at the link below. Instuctions are on the link. Once you do that place a link back here to the uploaded file. Should this data not be enough, the second step is to pull the .dat file from the aircraft itself. Use this one first for an initial look.

DJI Flight Log Viewer

This sounds like you simply lost a prop in flight. This happens more often than you think. The motor was probably damaged on impact and more likely than not, had nothing to do with the prop loss. The data will tell us more.

Do the motors turn freely by hand? Use air and try to blow anything out of the motor. Should be an easy repair. You took it apart so you can see it isn’t a hard repair. I had my P3 underwater for over an hour and it ran fine. The battery was shot.

Motors all turn freely and have been blown out but when I press the battery tp turn it on, three motors flick normally but one makes a clunking sound and then I get the four loud beeps per second. I still get the normal four tone start up sound.

Sorry - got the wrong file.. I have taken a look but can't see anything out of the ordinary. The last logged position is not near the pond so perhaps it shut down before it fell....

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-06-03_[13-59-33].txt
    119.1 KB · Views: 238
Thank Oso
I cant see what has gone wrong -also any idea why some of the route is in yellow..Is there any other info I can get on what happened?
Do the pros think I need a new motor - I have a busted p3 standard which I could get a motor off if that fits....

Fredzefisher

I noticed that you took off with a half charged battery. may not have had nothing to do with the bird falling but always make sure you have a fully charged battery before flying.

I have now managed to change the motor which was not sounding right on start up - and I am pretty sure this was the one with the initial fault. However, the start up fault is still there - just a thud sound in that motor when the battery is switched on and straight into a four loud beeps per second routine over the top of the four note normal start up. It still connects to the phone and shows the camera image (gimbal is out of shape).
Does this sound like something in the mainboard blew to that particular motor to cause the crash in the first place. If so, has anyone else had the same experience and is it an easy fix?

Many thanks......

Fredzefisher

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20