Does new P4 RC firmware set Home Point automatically?

Reaction score
I just received a replacement P4 standard RC from DJI as a warranty replacement (due to RC failure to take battery charge). Came with latest firmware. On 3 recent flights, never asked me to set the home point or calibrate the compass. Screen did say Home Point was set. I miss the turning in a circle "Phantom Dance". Bird flew fine, although RTH was about 15 yards from home point. Is there a way to override it and force the calibration? Id liked to be able to depend on RTH being more precise since I fly often near water and 15 or 20 yards off could be a splash disaster.

You can always calibrate the compass from the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Calibrate-Compass.jpg

I just received a replacement P4 ... Came with latest firmware. On 3 recent flights, never asked me to set the home point or calibrate the compass. Screen did say Home Point was set. I miss the turning in a circle "Phantom Dance". Bird flew fine, although RTH was about 15 yards from home point. Is there a way to override it and force the calibration? Id liked to be able to depend on RTH being more precise since I fly often near water and 15 or 20 yards off could be a splash disaster.
Phantoms have never asked you to set a home point and have always automatically done it as soon as they have a good GPS position fix.
There has never been any need to calibrate the compass but poor wording in older manuals caused many people to believe it was necessary.
In normal use it should never be necessary to recalibrate anything.
Calibrating the compass is 100% unrelated to RTH precision which is as accurate as the variable accuracy you get from consumer GPS.
If you let RTH land your Phantom 20 times, most landings would be within 2 metres of home point and some may be slightly more.
It would be very rare for any to be more than 10 metres away.

You don't need to let RTH land for you. If you have signal, you can cancel RTH and resume control yourself.
Or if you want even more RTH landing accuracy than GPS offers, your Phantom 4 now can use optical technology to give you Precision Landing.
Go to p15 of the manual to see how this works. https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4/20170706/Phantom+4+User+Manual+v1.6.pdf

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers