Does anyone predict issues with Huawei Mediapad, Litchi, Android, trade war, updates?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Following the advice on these forums I got me a Huawei mediapad M3 specifically to run Litchi and pilot a recently purchased Phantom 3 Professional.

It is an awesome tablet. Had fun trying to figure out how to get around the Chinese characters and software, but I finally got Google Play loaded as an app, logged on to my google account, downloaded Litchi, no problem. For the time being.

I'm curious, do people foresee any issues with Huawei, android, the so-called "trade war", and future updates to the Litchi app? Do Litchi and DJI go update and download through platforms other than Google Play? Or is this whole controversy apt to blow over and not matter in the long run?

1. The Huawei issue is for NEW tech items ... not existing. Existing phones / tablets should continue to update / operate Android.
2. Huawei is Chinese as is DJI ... I don't think the Chinese will let this kill their biggest Tech Co. and DJI I would expect to incorporate the expected Huawei Operating System in later app's.

The fact is though - many people do not update, stick with working setups, so why worry about something that you can avoid by just not updating.

I guess the thing with Litchi in particular is, it is engineered to work with android, so until this "trade war" blows over people who buy new Huawei devices might not be able to use Litchi on them, until or unless Litchi comes up with a version that works with HongMeng. Or perhaps there will be mission planning software with similar features that works with the new OS.

I prefer to update since it seems to me this is how engineers fix bugs, add functionality, etc.

I wouldn't worry. If they stop supporting your M3, the last version you had installed will continue to work, therefore you will continue to fly normally. I don't know if you plan to use your tablet for anything other than flying, but if that is your main objective, it will work for years to come.

I guess the thing with Litchi in particular is, it is engineered to work with android, so until this "trade war" blows over people who buy new Huawei devices might not be able to use Litchi on them, until or unless Litchi comes up with a version that works with HongMeng. Or perhaps there will be mission planning software with similar features that works with the new OS.

I prefer to update since it seems to me this is how engineers fix bugs, add functionality, etc.
Here's some reading for you:

If it's working now, it should continue to work in the future.
At worst, updates may be slower to arrive.
The M3 is a mature device and you wouldn't expect any future updates to contain anything special
But the M3 (or the M5) are still the best flying tablets.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic