Do not engage Google Assistant whilst flying your Mavic 2 or your Phantom 4 Pro V2.0.4

Reaction score
Even if you are not using your Android device do not initiate Google Assistant. I lost control of my Mavic 2 on four occasions after initiating Google Assistant it was very dangerous. Please wait for software upgrades.
I only fly with these two drones, so consider this if you are flying other DJI, or other, products.
I am not saying this will apply to you. I am only saying this is what happened to me. If you are going to initiate Google Assistant while flying your drone do it in a large open space and be ready to engage the RTH.

Reactions: shammel00
Why what happens

I lost total control of my Mavic 2 and Phantom 4 Pro 2.

Do not engage Google Assistant whilst flying your Mavic 2 or your Phantom 4 Pro V2.0.4
Even if you are not using your Android device to fly turn off Google Assistant. I lost control of my Mavic 2 on four occasions after initiating Google Assistant it was very dangerous. Please wait for software upgrades.
I only fly with these two models, so consider this if you are flying other DJI, or other, products.
I am not saying this will apply to you. I am only saying this is what happened to me. If you are going to initiate Google Assistant while flying your drone do it in a large open space and be ready to engage the RTH. If you are prepared to risk it.

I watched your video describing this issue but I simply don't understand how an app on a phone (particularly a device that's not even connected to the RC) can in any way interfere with the RC and AC comms. I don't doubt that you had an issue but it seems very unlikely that Google Assistant could have caused it. Have you reviewed the flight log .dat file to see what actually happened?

I totally agree with you 3rdof5 in makes no sense whatsoever. But it happened. And it happened now about 8 times, the instant I said, "Ok Google."
However, it happened to my Mavic 2 when I did not say the phrase while using my phone to fly and using the side micro usb connector on the rc to my USB "C" connector to my phone. When I switched to the underside USB connector on the Mavic rc I was able to access GA many times in a row without a problem.
When I edited the video, I only took out what was boring and what was not helpful. Believe me I don't want it to be true. I want to use Google Assistant when I am flying. I use GA throughout my day maybe 20 times or more, from when a cricket match starts to "how many days till my holiday to Thailand."
I informed DJI two weeks ago and gave them my flight logs. They have acknowledged there is a problem and advised me not to use GA for the moment.

“…there might be some interferes with the logic of the aircraft. So please do not switch into google assistance while flying the drone…”
30 Mar 2019, 07:26 (5 days ago) DJI

They say they have a team working on the issue.
It could be some weird thing on my phone and would not affect anyone else. But I doubt it.
I have yet to get any reports of anyone else having issues with GA while flying a Phantom or a Mavic 2.

I posted on the Mavic channel about two weeks ago when it happened to my Mavic all the while I was using the Phantom and using GA without a problem. Until yesterday.
Until there is a resolution to this issue I am going to turn off my phone or use the side micro usb port on my Mavic 2.
I have not uploaded my logs here or on the Mavic channel because I was leaving it in the hands of DJI but they have come up with no resolution.
I will do now.
What are the steps for uploading my flight logs here?

I totally agree with you 3rdof5 in makes no sense whatsoever. But it happened. And it happened now about 8 times, the instant I said, "Ok Google."
However, it happened to my Mavic 2 when I did not say the phrase while using my phone to fly and using the side micro usb connector on the rc to my USB "C" connector to my phone. When I switched to the underside USB connector on the Mavic rc I was able to access GA many times in a row without a problem.
When I edited the video, I only took out what was boring and what was not helpful. Believe me I don't want it to be true. I want to use Google Assistant when I am flying. I use GA throughout my day maybe 20 times or more, from when a cricket match starts to "how many days till my holiday to Thailand."
I informed DJI two weeks ago and gave them my flight logs. They have acknowledged there is a problem and advised me not to use GA for the moment.

“…there might be some interferes with the logic of the aircraft. So please do not switch into google assistance while flying the drone…”
30 Mar 2019, 07:26 (5 days ago) DJI

They say they have a team working on the issue.
It could be some weird thing on my phone and would not affect anyone else. But I doubt it.
I have yet to get any reports of anyone else having issues with GA while flying a Phantom or a Mavic 2.
I'm tempted to test this with my P3P and my (android) Samsung S8. This is just odd....

Where you using any automated flight modes at the time you used GA? These are the only times the DJI G O4 is controlling the AC and not from the RC. Any other times, AC gets flight commands rom RC regardless of the status of the GO app or whatever is happening to the mobile device.

3rdof5 if you do this make sure you engage GA when the AC is a good distance from you and way off the ground. I hope you have insurance. I needed to press the RTH button repeatedly and on one occasion I had to kill all apps on my phone, go back into the Go 4 app and then hit the RTH button. Oh and do it on a full battery and soon after take off.
I
don't recommend you do it, just to cover my ****.

3rdof5 if you do this make sure you engage GA when the AC is a good distance from you and way off the ground. I hope you have insurance. I needed to press the RTH button repeatedly and on one occasion I had to kill all apps on my phone, go back into the Go 4 app and then hit the RTH button. Oh and do it on a full battery and soon after take off.
I
The RTH button wouldn’t work on the remote?

On one occasion pressing RTH on the remote worked first time. On all other occasions it took repeated presses on both the remote and phone. On at lesson one occasion I had to close all apps on the phone then started the Go 4 app and hit RTH on the phone and remote. That is why you should only try it on full batteries.
After it happened yesterday on my P4P I am not risking it till DJI tell me the issue has been resolved, without doubt. I am about to go on hols and I am taking no risks.
My phone will be turned off in case I forget and engage GA. I think it wise if no one tries GA while flying, I have insurance with the DJI care thing and very good personal insurance policy which has covered every accident I have had.

I
I'm not going to try it. I never use GA anyway.

Wise, however, if you're not flying you should try Google assistant it's an amazing piece of artificial intelligence technology it gets better by the day and learns as it goes about you that can be scary on the one hand but amazingly helpful on the other. In a year or two it'll be second nature to all of us.

I’ve never used it. What is it good for?
Also I use Apple devices- iPad for flying & iPhone- maybe it’s a moot point?

Wise, however, if you're not flying you should try Google assistant it's an amazing piece of artificial intelligence technology it gets better by the day and learns as it goes about you that can be scary on the one hand but amazingly helpful on the other. In a year or two it'll be second nature to all of us.
Why would someone use Google assistant while flying? Never used it before. Just curious. Phantom 4 Pro V2 owner.

Reactions: jephoto

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic