Do Non-DJI Propellers Fly Well?

All Propellers Wear Out... From Erosion of The Leading Edge and Top Surface, caused by Dust, Bugs, Debris in the Air... The Stress Induced into The Prop. From Flexing Under Torque Load , Forms a Coning, Angle From the Hub to the Tip, with the Most deviation through the Thinnest Sections, around Half the distance from the Hub to the Tip... The Coning, of a Rotory Winged Aircraft, with a Ridged Rotor System Shows an Extreme Example... Size Plays a Large Part, Rotational Speed also Contributes to Fatigue at the Tips, at High RPM's, where Centrifugal Forces, Tip Flexing, and Erosion, All Contribute to Failure...
Simple Solution... Change out a Set Once a Year...
Propeller Balance, and Running True are the 2 Biggest Problems, in Causing Vibration Problems in Air frame Cracking... and Electronic Control Board Cracking and Failure
If Ya Crash..... Throw Away the Props... Check for Bent Motor Shafts
Been Flying RC since 1970... I would Trust Master Airscrew Products with my P3S ...

Lee

Sure, all things succumb to nature. Who would argue that?

It's the time-frame which is unknown. My P2 props are 3 yrs old now and I expect something else to fail, including my operation of it, before the props will be anywhere near failure so long as they only strike air and an occasional insect.

TEHO

Reactions: 120CCPM
Hi, I am just wondering do off brand propellers work well?
I tried some Threeking Wings 9450S for my P4P (eight props for $18.00). Although they look identical to the DJI, my drone made sudden, small roll corrections about once per second. The second set of four had same problem.

I returned them, not taking the time to determine which specific blade was the problem or if there's a fix available.

Sure, all things succumb to nature. Who would argue that?

It's the time-frame which is unknown. My P2 props are 3 yrs old now and I expect something else to fail, including my operation of it, before the props will be anywhere near failure so long as they only strike air and an occasional insect.

TEHO
Yeah, but I'm surprised just how much junk the props pick up in normal flight. Makes me wonder if getting a balancer would be worth it.

Yeah, but I'm surprised just how much junk the props pick up in normal flight. Makes me wonder if getting a balancer would be worth it.

I've never balanced my Phantom props, nor on my planks over the last 40 years.
I just clean them.

But I won't critique those who do or just enjoy other minutia (i.e. the many other other things I never have done either that many feel are critical or beneficial).

I've never balanced my Phantom props
Likewise, I've not balanced DJI props and never noticed a problem.
I've seem many others post that when they have checked DJI props, they haven't found any out of balance too.
I sometimes wonder if claims of DJI props needing to be balanced may be due to incorrect measuring technique.
Particularly after reading the DJI article posted earlier: Inside a Drone: Propellers
It said: DJI tunes its molds to ensure that every propeller has the perfect dynamic balance

I've never balanced my Phantom props, nor on my planks over the last 40 years.
I just clean them.

But I won't critique those who do or just enjoy other minutia (i.e. the many other other things I never have done either that many feel are critical or beneficial).
Some seemingly spend more time tinkering than flying, the fiddling is it’s own sub interest in the hobby. I just bought 2 RC heli’s that had only been previously flown once each (by me) to trim out and set the tail gyro. The seller loves the build process and fiddling.

I have never bothered balancing DJI props and my friend who likes fiddling more than flying assures me they don’t need it. I think he is disappointed they don’t need it.

Well I have already posted that I have various balancing methods .. including the Oday system - reckoned to be one of the best.

All 16 DJI Props I have ..... bar one that has been binned after tree incident .... all showed out of packet good but not 100% balance. A quick pass of fine glass paper along the back of heavy blade has sorted it in seconds.

Having balanced and not balanced props on fixed wing and heli's / multi-rotors for many years - its a habit I have to check before use and periodically during life. VERY FEW props have come out of wrapper 100% balanced. Even the odd expensive CF job ...
Benefit ? Generally none observed, but have observed reduced vibration, reduced noise especially on high rpm set-ups.
Trouble is when it comes to vibration - we have two types .... low frequency visible and high frequency invisible ... either can reduce life of motor bearings, electrical components on board and even the airframe itself can suffer.

There is no evidence against vibration acting with other factors in creating the DJI shell cracks that get reported ... no evidence to support - but does not mean that it cannot occur.

Whether its worth it or not ... balancing a prop to me is like changing the oil in the car ... you don't have to do it - but not doing may have later consequences ...

Nigel

Reactions: With The Birds
Maybe I'm just unlucky - but neither of the links are working for me, so I can't yet comment.

The 1st link says that the address can't be found and the 2nd link just takes me to the Ebay.com main page,even when I've signed in.

In the absence of comments from others(anybody?) saying the links are working for them, I'd first suggest that you check your links.

Maybe I'm just unlucky - but neither of the links are working for me, so I can't yet comment.
The 1st link says that the address can't be found and the 2nd link just takes me to the Ebay.com main page,even when I've signed in.
In the absence of comments from others(anybody?) saying the links are working for them, I'd first suggest that you check your links.

Sorry :) now they working

Sorry :) now they working
Yes, that's better thanks.

It's a tricky one.. If you buy from Ebay or Amazon there is no guarantee that you will get exactly what is shown in the photos and if you wish to return them then you may have to pay return shipping, which is hardly worthwhile. I note that most Ebay reviewers on that link seem happy and one says they are genuine (if he is competent to tell). But delivery time if shipped from Asia and negotiation in the case of problems is likely to be quite protracted

As I see it, you've got 3 possible outcomes:-

1) The props arrive and are genuine, great - and just what is promised. (Hooray!)
2) The props arrive and are copies. They may be OK or they may not... (a possible hooray!)
3) The props arrive and are not OEM composite (plastic) hubbed, but metal, so they are props for a P2, not a P3. (Boo!)

If I were you I'd spend a few dollars more and buy locally from an approved DJI seller. You can see then, touch them and assess them before you buy. Return in case of any problem or misrepresentation is relatively easy.

Now going totally against my own advice to you, I have to tell you that when I first bought my P3P (when I was callow and wet-behind the ears :)) I bought some 9450 props from Ebay which were advertised as being OK for a P3 and I ended up with quite a few sets of mis-described metal-hubbed props (designed for a P2). Despite the gloom-and-doom nay-sayers here :) (but good advice if you're not prepared to do it at your own risk), I have been flying my P3P with metal-hubbed (P2) 9450 props for more than 2 years without any incidents or problems at all.

If you're interested in how I do it, here's a link:- Are these props compatible with the P3?

Reactions: PSL
I have used after market carbon fiber props since I bought the quad and have never had any issues. I have never used the original DJI props that came with it.

Reactions: PSL
I note that most Ebay reviewers on that link seem happy and one says they are genuine (if he is competent to tell)
yes, 100% positive review on product on eBay is pretty rare. And seller sells only (mostly) parts for DJI.
I just bought this eBay props. Hope they will be ok. :)
For me USA or Asia shipping is almost the same, as at this moment I'm in Eastern Europe

yes, 100% positive review on product on eBay is pretty rare. And seller sells only (mostly) parts for DJI.
I just bought this eBay props. Hope they will be ok. :)
For me USA or Asia shipping is almost the same, as at this moment I'm in Eastern Europe
Anywhere near me? :) I'm in Bulgaria... PM me if you like....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94