Are these props compatible with the P3?

They will probably be fine since they have a composite hub. The P3 uses these 9450 props.

Last edited:
no mention that the composite material is in the hub
True. I guess it's better to assume the hubs are metal since the description does not specify. As I linked above though, the E310 props are safe to use on the P3.

Last edited:

pounder35, they will work as long as the inside of the hubs are composite (plastic) and not metal. It's okay to use P3 props on a P2, but you should not use P2 props on a P3.

Reactions: bobmyers
At first glance they appeared to be metal but after taking a closer look it's hard to tell. The chrome looking inserts look like metal but the black inserts I'm pretty sure are plastic. So it would make sense both are plastic. Thanks for the reply.

If you really do have composite props, it's very easy to see they are made of plastic. They are 100% plastic (no chrome).

unnamed.jpg

pounder35, I think he was referring to the OP's post.

OK. I just read that the 9450 props are compatible with the P3
You are correct. But, "9450" is not a part number. It applies to any props that are 9.4" long and have a 5.0" pitch.

Reactions: Loz
Hi!

I’m new to the forum and relatively new to drone flying, having had my P3P for about 4 months. Done many flights but still learning - so far, thankfully, with no major mishaps – just a few exciting moments now and then :).

When I bought my P3P drone I got myself all the other extras that I thought would be useful, among them several sets of 9450 props from EBay which were advertised as being suitable for the P3, but which, on arrival, turned out to be metal-hubbed. Luckily I was already aware of the warnings here and other places of the possibly dire consequences of using metal-hub props on a P3.

Not wishing to just leave the 9450 metals in their packets I had a bit of a think about how I could put them to use – but safely…. Some sort of locking rubber washer which will be nipped up and will keep them secure? That was dismissed as being far too risky – should it undo even a little bit, with the lack of friction between the metal motor shafts and the metal hubs once the washer had loosened, off the prop would come and that would probably/definitely be terminal. A few other random ideas were also dismissed as being unviable/ too unreliable.

What I eventually came up with was the idea of using a few winds of PTFE tape (the sorts used in making plumbing joints) and that’s what I did. Making sure that the trailing end of the PTFE tape lies in the direction in which the props are screwed on, I wound the tape around each motor shaft thread and then screwed each prop on, feeling a nice reassuring frictional resistance along the whole length of the shafts until it was fully snugged-up (with fingers) to the end of the motor shaft. It felt just like screwing on a composite-hub prop in fact, but with absolutely no risk of stripping any thread if you overdo it a bit. Experimentation told me how many winds of tape are best as I got the ‘feel’ for it…. I have found that 3 or 4 winds seems about right.

I don’t remove my props after every flight but one bit of advice that I would offer is to make a hole in a small bit of paper and place this so that it covers the motor windings before you remove the props, just to prevent any small strands of PTFE tape dropping into the windings. Not a show-stopper if that does happen, though, as you can just blow/shake them out.

Before it’s mentioned again, (quite rightly) I’m quite aware of the ‘why-risk-it?’ philosophy - but I have had many trouble-free flights with my 9450 metal-hub props fitted in this way and, of course, I carefully inspect everything before each flight to make sure they are still quite snug. After you have fitted/removed the props a few times, you may detect a lessening of resistance (just like with the composite props). In that situation, simply clean up the metal motor shaft and reapply PTFE tape once more.

Sorry for the rather long first post. It’s just an idea that I have put into practice, so far without problems and one which other members might find interesting and useful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers