Do Non-DJI Propellers Fly Well?

Not typically.
Lots of threads here about this.
Stick with DJI.

Is this a matter of cost or are you looking for bolt-on performance?

Your quad is a fly-by-wire system whose flight is governed by the MC.
It is optimized as a flying camera platform. The propulsion system is tuned.

There’s no benifit in trying to hop-up by using non-OEM components.

I'm not too concerned about performance, more on the cost side of things. They seem to be more flexible, and I have not tried to fly them yet. Also, that screw part of the propeller is all metal, no plastic. Do you think that would make a difference?

Great observation. The P3s should use use the composite (plastic) hubs. This is due to the dynamic or active braking introduced in the P3.

The metal hubs are for P2s.

In either case stick with the DJI props. They will last years so long as you don’t crash or they hit anyting.

Do they make any big difference? The off-brand props come in a bulk pack and it is about half of the cost for double the propellers.

Do they make any big difference? The off-brand props come in a bulk pack and it is about half of the cost for double the propellers.

How many props are you planning on going through. I have two sets of props for all 3 of my Phantoms. Never needed anything other then the original set. if you need props in "bulk", you have bigger problems than props.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
I agree. None will perform better except the really high end aftermarket carbon fibre props.
Not even the most expensive ones will perform any better as it's the flight controller that governs how the Phantom flies.
Putting magic props on the Phantom won't change the parameters the flight controller allows.

But you've mentioned that the props you are looking at have metal hubs.
That's a potentially big problem because from the P3 series on, DJI have used dynamic braking for their motors.
That meant they had to abandon metal hubs for "stickier" nylon hubs to prevent propellers being thrown off in flight.
I'd suggest you also abandon them.

Props are a low cost item and are only worn or damaged if you use them for hedge trimming or crash landings.
Keep away from obstacles like trees and buildings and they will last a very, very long time.

The prop hubs on the OEM propellers have metal hubs in the very top of the propeller. The non DJI propellers have full metal hubs. Does this make much of a difference?

Reactions: Motlock
The prop hubs on the OEM propellers have metal hubs in the very top of the propeller. The non DJI propellers have full metal hubs. Does this make much of a difference?
Are you sure there is metal in the standard P3 props? The fact the standard props have nylon threads is what helps them stay on during motor deceleration. We aren’t making this up, simply read around for the unfortunate P3 incidents traced to metal hub props and after market offerings.

Are you sure there is metal in the standard P3 props? The fact the standard props have nylon threads is what helps them stay on during motor deceleration. We aren’t making this up, simply read around for the unfortunate P3 incidents traced to metal hub props and after market offerings.
I believe that the 9450 metal-hubbed props are actually for a P2 but are often advertised on EBay and similar places as being 'P3 props', hence the misunderstanding.

As far as I know, all p3s have always had composite (plastic) hubs. At the risk of being accused of being 'boring' :) although I don't add it to every slimly-connected thread, I have always used metal-hubbed props on my P3. Here's a link saying how I do it:- Are these props compatible with the P3?

I believe that the 9450 metal-hubbed props are actually for a P2 but are often advertised on EBay and similar places as being 'P3 props', hence the misunderstanding.

As far as I know, all p3s have always had composite (plastic) hubs. At the risk of being accused of being 'boring' :) although I don't add it to every slimly-connected thread, I have always used metal-hubbed props on my P3. Here's a link saying how I do it:- Are these props compatible with the P3?
MY question to @CFzone - was if the DJ P3 props contain any metal? Yes, P2 were metal hubs.

MY question to @CFzone - was if the DJ P3 props contain any metal? Yes, P2 were metal hubs.

I think CFzone has possibly mistaken the coloured silver/black sprayed plastic as being metal/covering metal.
No, although I've never drilled one out/cut one up completely, I don't believe they do - they're just made totally from a composite plastic. I have some of them but don't want to waste one. However, feel free to cut one up one of yours completely to confirm it if you like! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen