Do i need new shell? Motor mount cracked

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Today (80 battery cycles since i bought it) i notice two cracks on the shell (on the motor mount). The first is big and vissible the second is inside the hole. This propably happened because i overtight the motor screws or because of vibrations...

Do i need to replace the shell?
In a youtube video i had notice that someone had placed a metal plate in between the screws and the plastic mount. It was someothing like extra security if the plastic mount fails.
Here is my phantom:
Thanks for your help
iLlFeJL.jpg
3VZOjV7.jpg
BGKtwpg.jpg

Last edited:
It's a design or build fault - my P2V+ had these after only a few weeks with mostly hand-catch landings. I've seen some people have enhanced the mounts or glued the cracks.

Agree. Very common. I was going to replace mine as one arm has slight cracks however I think a new shell will crack right away as well and maybe more than one arm. I monitor it often and no change so going to leave it.

Nick93, changing the shell is a lot of work. Just keep an eye on it like rrmccabe recommended.

Agree. Very common. I was going to replace mine as one arm has slight cracks however I think a new shell will crack right away as well and maybe more than one arm. I monitor it often and no change so going to leave it.
Thanks a lot ! but why a new shell its going to crack right away ? Has anything to do with the
Thread-locking fluid on the original screws ?

Nick93, changing the shell is a lot of work. Just keep an eye on it like rrmccabe recommended.

I am very good on technical stuff. There is no problem for me to change the shell. But is it really necessary? Is it going to hold any better ?

i have made 80 battery discharges so far

I am little bit scary now to fly over water and at long distances. Where can I buy an extra safety mount?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Today (80 battery cycles since i bought it) i notice two cracks on the shell (on the motor mount). The first is big and vissible the second is inside the hole. This propably happened because i overtight the motor screws or because of vibrations...

Do i need to replace the shell?
In a youtube video i had notice that someone had placed a metal plate in between the screws and the plastic mount. It was someothing like extra security if the plastic mount fails.
Here is my phantom:
Thanks for your help
iLlFeJL.jpg
3VZOjV7.jpg
BGKtwpg.jpg
Easy to repair with old fashion Areldite. ( two part epoxy resin glue) I recommend glue it from the inside rather than just on the outer shell face.
Warm the shell up if you can so the Areldite seeps into the crack properly

It will be better than original then.

Repair the crack is you easiest bet. Old timers trick is to drill a very small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from running and to fill the hole and crack with epoxy. Careful not to drill into motor.

Repair the crack is you easiest bet. Old timers trick is to drill a very small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from running and to fill the hole and crack with epoxy. Careful not to drill into motor.
This would be my suggestion as well, but why not simply first remove the motor?
If you can, drill a stop hole unless the crack has already propagated into the screw hole, or too close to drill.

remove all 4 motors. Use hot glue gun on all arms. This minimises stress and vibrations.

Mako you mean glue gun under each of the motors??

Mine also developed same crack shortly after I got it... been monitoring it for months now..doesnt seem to be getting bigger even after 150 flights.. took the motors off on a few occasions and also confirmed the crack is just on the outside and not inside to... probably wouldnt be as comfortable if the crack was inside..

But yeah def design issue.. seems like a common problem.. I wonder if its on the same arm for most people?

Mako you mean glue gun under each of the motors??

Mine also developed same crack shortly after I got it... been monitoring it for months now..doesnt seem to be getting bigger even after 150 flights.. took the motors off on a few occasions and also confirmed the crack is just on the outside and not inside to... probably wouldnt be as comfortable if the crack was inside..

But yeah def design issue.. seems like a common problem.. I wonder if its on the same arm for most people?

I did mine where the cracks were at most. I did it to all remaining arms as a precaution. It seems to be working fine.
Glue%20gun.jpg

Reactions: Design-engine
Just noticed a crack at the end of one of the rear arms. Quite a new P2 with just 10 flights and all hand catching. My old P1 also developed a crack in roughly the same place. I blamed myself in either overtightening the screws when I had the case open. Or when I fitted the prop guards when I used to use them. In the case of the P2 I have never opened it or touched the screws so definitely a weak part of the Phantom design. I left the P1 crack as it was (as I had read that some glues can further weaken the plastic). And despite a load more flights it never got any worse. So hopefully my P2 wil be the same. I fully expect the P3 will suffer this issue as well.

I'm wondering why DJI doesn't embed a metal base in the bottom shell for a motor mount? Seems like an easy design fix!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20