Preventing cracks on the new shell design

Reaction score
So I attempted to reinforce the inner part of the shell with hot glue however I found myself eventually carving down the amount of glue once I was ready to reassemble the top shell due to the plastic "sleeves" that circle around the motors. Beforehand I had applied some blue thread locker to hopefully ensure that I did not loose any of the motor mounting screws due to vibration. After having to remove the screws once due to the over thickness of the glue, I found that the blue thread locker had gotten on the inner rim of the plastic inlet of which the motor sits. At first I thought nothing of it, however after trying to wipe it off and it sitting for a few hours, I noticed that the mounts had become brittle and literally fell apart when attempting to secure the screws to hold the motor on. The end result was a hole without a mount for the motor.

So my question is, do you really need to use a form of thread locker on these machines? If so, what do you guys recommend? Also, is there a way to strengthen the shell at the motor points that actually works? I've heard the motor mount protection pieces that mount on the outside just mask the real damage underneath.

Thanks for any advice.

J

Generic thread locker is bad around DJI plastic unless you use the correct stuff. I doubt if DJI uses the stuff made for plastic being it's more expensive. Even Loctite warns you to not to use Blue #242 and #243 around plastic. It has caused all sorts of cracked and crazed plastic motorcycle windshields. Bad stuff.

They do make one for use around plastic #425 here: https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Assu...rd_wg=Ca2Jg&psc=1&refRID=V3VT0HNP1Q1SCK0FRJ3K
Even with that stuff, I'd just brush the threads and let it dry and assemble letting the Loctite bind the threads.

Reactions: Numone
Thank you for the link, I placed the order already. Also, do you have any idea on how I might go about reinforcing the shell around the motor mounts to ensure no more cracking? I'm on my third shell now and out of warranty.

Thank you for the link, I placed the order already. Also, do you have any idea on how I might go about reinforcing the shell around the motor mounts to ensure no more cracking? I'm on my third shell now and out of warranty.

Mine hasn't cracked...yet. I put some polish on it to clean it and the stuff might have a bit of plasticizer in it to help keep the plastic from cracking (Plexus, sold at most motorcycle shops: Plexus Plastic Cleaner .). I keep detergents away from the DJI plastic.

Yeah, It's really simple. Do NOT over tighten the screws when you mount the motors. Also, you only need a tiny amount of the 425 on the threads.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.