Do Drones Fly better.........

May I ask why you have not updated?

Well after reading many posts about issues people were having with updates in 2016, and to fact that the done works great, I figure why mess with a good thing. I've had many electronic devices, NAS drives, iPads etc that have worked worse after updates, I've had to turn back updates because it's broken other devices, so I figure my drone works great, I have updated the go app and my no fly zones show up, so all seems to be good.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
If you never update, you’re probably find out that updates are a necessary evil. I held off updating my P4 for over six months, and eventually I lost all functionality. So I was forced update. In hindsight, I probably should’ve updated earlier. Some of the new features I got I really like, and the fixes that I got I didn’t realize were broken until it was fixed. Like for instance the tilted horizon issue.

Like other people have mentioned on this thread, read the update fixes and features, and read the reports from others who have updated already. Be ready for any issues that you see others have had. And don’t count on flying immediately after the update. It’s always good to recalibrate and test after you perform any updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomas Wangen
7326F099-0BF4-4BD6-9109-6FD2B677D6B9.jpeg
I think we have a jokester in the group here. I'm calling BS on the above statement :)
23,000 feet, that’s nothing! I flew my drone at 32,000 feet and beat a Learjet a race!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Canada
I have always updated and it has never caused me any grief at all.

This is a 'firmware' update of a closed system -- any comparison to a Windows update is misleading BS.

Here are some reasons to update:
  • When drones models are brand new, there are sometimes actual FEATURES that are not yet implemented. You won't get these if you do not ever update your drone. Those of you that have never updated don't even know they exist. Obviously, there's not a lot of that today with older models such as the P3s.
  • There ARE bugs. They get fixed. Not updating means you may experience the bug. Those of you that never updated may be experiencing and living with these and just call them quirks that you live with and work around (but you can still fly, so you say here "I never update and I'm fine"). Too bad you didn't just do an update to get them fixed.
  • There are performance improvements, things that make the craft fly smoother and enhance battery life.
  • There are also safety enhancements, adjustments to the logic systems that do things like keep motors from burning out from overheating
  • The DJI Go app has gone though advancements, but to take advantage of them, your craft needs the updated firmware. Some people in the past tried to do one without the other and problems crept in (the kind that can cause craft instability and therefore crashes), so they had to tighten the requirements (update them concurrently). That peeved off the kind of people that don't like "to be told what to do".
In my mind, it boils down to how paranoid and/or stubborn you are. Because the majority of updates are positive. Any anecdotes you hear to the contrary usually have other factors involved that the poster isn't mentioning (user error). Actual screw ups that DJI has released in firmware are typically fixed quickly -- to avoid that, just let other people update first and after a week without horror stories, then do your own update.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: AndrewCCM
Do Drones Fly better when they first come out {New Drones} or do they fly better after they been out for a while with all the firmware and updates?

I have had my P3A for over a year and have updated it whenever updates are available. I have had no issues since it was new with over 200 flights. I don't notice any difference in how it flies since it was new.

Over time, the software and firmware has gotten more reliable and the function is richer. I started with a P3 and moved on to a P4P and a Mavic Air. DJI has gone, and is going, through a learning curve, but I have found that at the current levels, I have had no surprises.

I often think that those with claimed new release problems are NOT using extreme care to assure that ALL software and ALL firmware are at consistent update levels.

If you don’t like managing software and firmware levels, a leading edge drone may not be for you.

It takes DJI about 6 months to squash all the early release bugs and fully implement all the new features. Thereafter, once you have a FW version that works for you, there is really no reason to upgrade, unless you can't live without a newly offered feature. Each new FW version introduces the possibility of new bugs and may change the interface and feature set in ways you may not like. Tread carefully, once you have it working the way you like. :cool:

I solved all my update problems with DJI by switching my flying app to Litchi in November of 2016. I have had absolutely no problems in using all the superior features of Litchi plus I never worry about not getting update reminders from DJI. I do frequently check Litchi for updates on my own but I have never been grounded or found some hardware not working because I did not update software or firmware. Switching to Litchi was one of my best "drone moves" ever.

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Do Drones Fly better when they first come out {New Drones} or do they fly better after they been out for a while with all the firmware and updates?

Neither. I find the latest, stable firmware and lock in with that. So far that paradigm has served me well with my Inspire 1, Mavic Pro and P4P. All 3 have been rock solid. Took me 2 weeks to figure out which FW was the best for the P4P. I refused to fly it until it had a known-to-be-stable FW version. I couldn't be happier. All 3 birds are solid as a rock. Zero wrecks. Zero logins to the mother ship. Zero errors. Zero pre-flight tests.

Neither. I find the latest, stable firmware and lock in with that. So far that paradigm has served me well with my Inspire 1, Mavic Pro and P4P. All 3 have been rock solid. Took me 2 weeks to figure out which FW was the best for the P4P. I refused to fly it until it had a known-to-be-stable FW version. I couldn't be happier. All 3 birds are solid as a rock. Zero wrecks. Zero logins to the mother ship. Zero errors. Zero pre-flight tests.
Which FW versions did you select for the P4P and the Mavic Pro?

I use Nvidia shield rooted and a host editor. But you could also just use a no root firewall if you don't want to root. My method would work on other android devices as well, as long as root is done. Otherwise use the NO ROOT method. I use Litchi all the time, but if I need to change a setting in DJI go I use DJI go rev 2.9.1. It has no demand for updating. I could use a later rev. but all I use it for is changing those settings Litchi cannot.
NoRoot Firewall - Android Apps on Google Play
I made this video showing how it's done.
I have tried forever to root my Nvida Shield K1. It won't let me unlock..Fastboot is not recongnising Shield as a device.

I have tried forever to root my Nvida Shield K1. It won't let me unlock..Fastboot is not recongnising Shield as a device.
I don't remember which method for sure I used, but this site is one to go to. read the steps carefully before starting. I installed 6.0 as I disliked 7.0

[Complete Guide] SHIELD Tablet K1 Root, Custom Rom and Xposed Framework

If on Nougat 7.0
https://nvidiashieldzone.com/shield...ndroid-7-nougat/root-shield-tablet-k1-nougat/

If on Marshmallow 6.0
https://nvidiashieldzone.com/shield...shmallow/root-shield-tablet-v1-marshmallow-2/

Original OS for the shield (VERIFY the correct file desired!!)

Download Center

This may be a stupid question, but here it goes anyway. I've noticed people mentioning "updating the app, the AC, and the RC". Now, I've always assumed that updating DJI Go on my device updated everything at once. Is that correct, or do you have to actually update the three separately? I understand a good deal about my drone (P3S), but the firmware is something that still eludes me a bit. Thanks for any help. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna