Do Drones Fly better.........

This may be a stupid question, but here it goes anyway. I've noticed people mentioning "updating the app, the AC, and the RC". Now, I've always assumed that updating DJI Go on my device updated everything at once. Is that correct, or do you have to actually update the three separately? I understand a good deal about my drone (P3S), but the firmware is something that still eludes me a bit. Thanks for any help. :)
All three updates are independent, and must be done separately. However, the RC updates can usually be done through the app, and sometimes the AC updates, too. Updates to the app do not update the RC or the AC. :cool:

Reactions: Wilbur
I've noticed people mentioning "updating the app, the AC, and the RC". Now, I've always assumed that updating DJI Go on my device updated everything at once. Is that correct, or do you have to actually update the three separately?
Yes.

So so did the DJI warranty cover you?

The first time, yes. DJI not only replaced the drone, they did it rather quickly. This time, they seem to be dragging their feet (go figure). I assume that this MAY be because they're taking my issue more seriously.

The first time this happened, DJI probably figured it was a freak incident. But here we are < 6 weeks later, and the same, exact thing happened again. So I'm going to guess they're looking at this a little deeper - maybe wondering "what the heck is this guy doing?" The thing is, I'm doing nothing. Literally. Zero RC input - a flat line in the .dat file. BOTH of these failures occurred above 250' AGL, and were automated flights. So it ain't me. And the bird isn't crashing into anything. And last time, DJI gave me this assurance:

Promise-WontHappenAgain.JPG

Well....it "be happening" again. And, per their suggestion, I contacted them back. So far, dead silence.

I have generated an RMA for this incident, but haven't heard back yet.

Worth noting; I took advantage of the new, replacement drone and, after jumping through many hoops (including producing a comprehensive video) sprung for Care Refresh™. So I suppose if push comes to shove, I can utilize the Care Refresh™. But honestly, I don't believe this is a Care Refresh™ issue. Flat out, this is the fault of the propeller. Just as last time, the .dat file data clearly shows this. I guess we'll see....

D

The first time, yes. DJI not only replaced the drone, they did it rather quickly. This time, they seem to be dragging their feet (go figure). I assume that this MAY be because they're taking my issue more seriously.

The first time this happened, DJI probably figured it was a freak incident. But here we are < 6 weeks later, and the same, exact thing happened again. So I'm going to guess they're looking at this a little deeper - maybe wondering "what the heck is this guy doing?" The thing is, I'm doing nothing. Literally. Zero RC input - a flat line in the .dat file. BOTH of these failures occurred above 250' AGL, and were automated flights. So it ain't me. And the bird isn't crashing into anything. And last time, DJI gave me this assurance:

View attachment 98432

Well....it "be happening" again. And, per their suggestion, I contacted them back. So far, dead silence.

I have generated an RMA for this incident, but haven't heard back yet.

Worth noting; I took advantage of the new, replacement drone and, after jumping through many hoops (including producing a comprehensive video) sprung for Care Refresh™. So I suppose if push comes to shove, I can utilize the Care Refresh™. But honestly, I don't believe this is a Care Refresh™ issue. Flat out, this is the fault of the propeller. Just as last time, the .dat file data clearly shows this. I guess we'll see....

D
Bizarre! With Care Refresh as your backup option, you'll be fine. However, I can understand their reticence to so quickly replace the second drone. DJI usually supplies new propellers with the replacement drone! Is there any possibility that any of the original propellers from the original batch (8 in total) of the first drone were used on the replacement drone when it crashed, or did you carefully segregate the propellar sets?

Bizarre! With Care Refresh as your backup option, you'll be fine. However, I can understand their reticence to so quickly replace the second drone. DJI usually supplies new propellers with the replacement drone! Is there any possibility that any of the original propellers from the original batch (8 in total) of the first drone were used on the replacement drone when it crashed, or did you carefully segregate the propellar sets?

Of the set of propellers that crashed the first time, only two props survived. Those went into my "junk drawer," to be used only in cases of extreme emergency. I have roughly 2 dozen props in that drawer with minor prop strike issues from tip-overs, etc. over the years.

Strangely enough, DJI did NOT supply a new set of props with the replacement drone. So the set was a totally new, OEM set I purchased online. You can see by the markings that the props are OEM. I know they're not counterfeit because they came out of China. HA! Seriously, the packaging was DJI OEM. So if they were fake, they were a very good fake.

Regarding this second replacement, the thing is that the .dat file tells all. One can clearly see that there was zero RC input (because it was a waypoint flight), and that the flight was going normally. and then the drone just started spinning to the ground. So, as much as DJI may not "like" it, it's the second time a crash was due to faulty product.

When I had pressed DJI as to whether or not they had seen this type of failure before, they insisted it was an isolated incident, and "not to worry." Well...I worried enough to purchase Care Refresh™ for this replacement drone. Good thing, because I have a feeling they may push back on the warranty, which expires in 6 days (as of this writing). Care refresh is good until April 2018.

D

Of the set of propellers that crashed the first time, only two props survived. Those went into my "junk drawer," to be used only in cases of extreme emergency. I have roughly 2 dozen props in that drawer with minor prop strike issues from tip-overs, etc. over the years.

Strangely enough, DJI did NOT supply a new set of props with the replacement drone. So the set was a totally new, OEM set I purchased online. You can see by the markings that the props are OEM. I know they're not counterfeit because they came out of China. HA! Seriously, the packaging was DJI OEM. So if they were fake, they were a very good fake.

Regarding this second replacement, the thing is that the .dat file tells all. One can clearly see that there was zero RC input (because it was a waypoint flight), and that the flight was going normally. and then the drone just started spinning to the ground. So, as much as DJI may not "like" it, it's the second time a crash was due to faulty product.

When I had pressed DJI as to whether or not they had seen this type of failure before, they insisted it was an isolated incident, and "not to worry." Well...I worried enough to purchase Care Refresh™ for this replacement drone. Good thing, because I have a feeling they may push back on the warranty, which expires in 6 days (as of this writing). Care refresh is good until April 2018.

D
I assume you mean April 2019? Really weird. It would seem the original props lived a good life before the failure, if the original warranty runs out shortly. I don't use Waypoint Missions and have never had a DJI prop failure in over 4,700 miles of flying! The P4/P4P props are remarkably sturdy, but maybe a bad batch of plastic snuck in, somewhere along the way.
IMG_1157.jpg

Hopefully, it gets sorted out properly. However, I'll now be keeping a closer eye on my own props, just in case!

I assume you mean April 2019?

Correct.

Really weird. It would seem the original props lived a good life before the failure, if the original warranty runs out shortly.

I believe this was the second set of props. I've had 2 tip-overs; one due to high-wind landing and the other due to attempting to shut down the motors using CSC (will never do THAT again). Both times props suffered very minor leading edge skuffing. But @ $5/each, I just replaced them. So, as you can see, I'm fairly fussy about my props. Turns out, there's a lot riding up there on $25 worth of propellers.

I don't use Waypoint Missions and have never had a DJI prop failure in over 4,700 miles of flying!

I was chatting with the admin about this. If you think about it, waypoint flying is sort of like running a rally race. The thing flies 25-26 mph flight after flight after flight. Methinks that maybe, because of the wiggle room the props have on the hub, and the very dynamic RPM change of the motors, the props see more dynamic shock loading than say someone flying around a park or taking video. That's just a theory. The Obsidian props do NOT have that wiggle room. So I'm going to try using them.

The P4/P4P props are remarkably sturdy, but maybe a bad batch of plastic snuck in, somewhere along the way.

Maybe. The replacement set I used on the new drone were purchased quite a while ago. So they may be from the same "batch" as the original props that failed.

View attachment 98453
Hopefully, it gets sorted out properly.

I hope so. Their response this second time has been VERY slow compared to the first time.

However, I'll now be keeping a closer eye on my own props, just in case!

Both failures were around the hub. I never recovered the first prop because it ejected @ 300' AGL, so Lord knows where it went. However, this second time the prop stayed on the bird. The other 3 props are intact, so it's clear what happened. Part of the prop just flew off the hub. CLEARLY, the prop failed.

D

Last edited:
I was chatting with the admin about this. If you think about it, waypoint flying is sort of like running a rally race. The thing flies 25-26 mph flight after flight after flight. Methinks that maybe, because of the wiggle room the props have on the hub, and the very dynamic RPM change of the motors, the props see more dynamic shock loading than say someone flying around a park or taking video. That's just a theory. The Obsidian props do NOT have that wiggle room. So I'm going to try using them.

Maybe. The replacement set I used on the new drone were purchased quite a while ago. So they may be from the same "batch" as the original props that failed.
All of my own 700+ flights are at a constant speed of 30mph throughout, using OA and max throttle, solely because it easily maintains the most efficient speed for maximizing distance, and I have never had a DJI prop failure, and I usually use the same set of props on every flight. A rare batch of bad props seems the most likely culprit, rather than prop fatigue. Such anomalies usually get sorted out in the most recently manufactured parts. Good luck!

All of my own 700+ flights are at a constant speed of 30mph throughout, using OA and max throttle, solely because it easily maintains the most efficient speed for maximizing distance, and I have never had a DJI prop failure, and I usually use the same set of props on every flight. A rare batch of bad props seems the most likely culprit, rather than prop fatigue. Such anomalies usually get sorted out in the most recently manufactured parts. Good luck!

Well this new data certainly lends itself to the "bad batch" theory. If that's the case, we may never know for sure. I simply don't have the budget to send the failed prop to the lab for analysis. HA!

Thanx for the new information.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94