DJI Warranty repair of Shell cracks - My experience

Reaction score
FYI,

I owned my P3P for 1.5 months before I noticed very slight shell cracks in the typical screw holes. I contacted DJI by phone and created a ticket. Yes I was on hold for quite a while to get through. DJI sent me a shipping label for free and I shipped it. Received 2-3 days later and I received an email stating it was received and warranty repairs approved.

7-8 day later, another email saying it's done and being shipped back. Received 2-3 days after. I give DJI 2 thumbs up for turn around time.

Upon opening the box I found the repair on my P3P consisted of simply replacing the lower half of the shell. All else remained the same. A little surprised, I thought perhaps motors might be replaced with new design but not a big deal. I then took a light to the motor mounts to look for the new X-bracing and found none. Looks like the same shell again to me.

What are the different versions of shell? Should I not have received the newer design X-brace shell? What is going to prevent shell cracks from occurring again?

Same experience for me. They cut the arm band stickers along the seem of the shell and only replaced the lower half. I thought I would get a whole new shell but they could have at least replaced the stickers.

Reactions: Tashier
thought perhaps motors might be replaced with new design but not a big deal. I then took a light to the motor mounts to look for the new X-bracing and found none. Looks like the same shell again to me.

What are the different versions of shell? Should I not have received the newer design X-brace shell? What is going to prevent shell cracks from occurring again?
To replace the motors is a bigger job. It also requires a complete mainboard.
Despite some conjecture on the forums there is no proof that a lack of X-bracing means you will develop cracks.
Many users with old shells without X-bracing have not developed cracking.
If the cracking problem was due to a bad batch of plastic or poor moulding technique as many suspect, you should be right to go.

Reactions: Tashier
The p3 standard has no x bracing. It however has the pronged tabs. The p3 standard users have not reported any cracks. Just make sure that the variant you have has the pronged motor tabs and larger air vents.

The p3 standard has no x bracing. It however has the pronged tabs. The p3 standard users have not reported any cracks. Just make sure that the variant you have has the pronged motor tabs and larger air vents.

Mine is a P3P, not a standard.

To replace the motors is a bigger job. It also requires a complete mainboard.
Despite some conjecture on the forums there is no proof that a lack of X-bracing means you will develop cracks.
Many users with old shells without X-bracing have not developed cracking.
If the cracking problem was due to a bad batch of plastic or poor moulding technique as many suspect, you should be right to go.

OK, let's hope so.

Same experience for me. They cut the arm band stickers along the seem of the shell and only replaced the lower half. I thought I would get a whole new shell but they could have at least replaced the stickers.
Shesh!

Stickers are just that stickers-- If the unit works-- stickers are available and have nothing to do with flight capabilities. Use the second set that came with the P3 or purchase a new set-- plenty available online-- why sit here and continue to stress out and vent-- just go fly the thing and enjoy it or sell it and relieve the source of the stress.

Shesh!

Stickers are just that stickers-- If the unit works-- stickers are available and have nothing to do with flight capabilities. Use the second set that came with the P3 or purchase a new set-- plenty available online-- why sit here and continue to stress out and vent-- just go fly the thing and enjoy it or sell it and relieve the source of the stress.

I think it says a lot about the lack of detail DJI may be putting into a repair. If the techs can't have a pile of stickers there to replace the ones they pull off, where else are they cutting corners? Mine came back with new stickers, but they seem to be poorly applied and already peeling off and wrinkled.

Anytime you're going to open the shell you'll need to split the stickers.

There's a difference between removing them completely and just slitting then so the shell will separate.

It may not make much difference, but having the stickers in tact (wrapped around the arms) might have at least a small effect on damping some vibration (vs without them).

Now if they "remove" the stickers completely it would be a nice courtesy to just drop a set in with the return. People use those in flight to identify orientation.

I think it says a lot about the lack of detail DJI may be putting into a repair. If the techs can't have a pile of stickers there to replace the ones they pull off, where else are they cutting corners? Mine came back with new stickers, but they seem to be poorly applied and already peeling off and wrinkled.
tumblr_nozbavrxe51ro8ysbo1_500.gif Poorly applied stickers?? Already peeling off?? Sigho_Oo_O

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers