DJI snooping. Fact or Fiction?

Reaction score
Hello. New here, but loving it already.
Last night I purchased a Phantom 4 Pro+ and am awaiting it's arrival.
I have read the goggles are a no-go with the monitor version controller (the one I ordered), so I can forget about flying immersive with this one.
I have a simple query; Is it correct that DJI collect and relay data to US authorities. I have read this, heard it and believe it may be valid. I have a Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K, and I feel confident it is not such a nosey little bugger.
Is there any validity to the claims about DJI being a snoop on our activities?
Thanks for your help. If this has been raised before and I missed it, please forgive me.

Hello. New here, but loving it already.
Last night I purchased a Phantom 4 Pro+ and am awaiting it's arrival.
I have read the goggles are a no-go with the monitor version controller (the one I ordered), so I can forget about flying immersive with this one.
I have a simple query; Is it correct that DJI collect and relay data to US authorities. I have read this, heard it and believe it may be valid. I have a Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K, and I feel confident it is not such a nosey little bugger.
Thanks for your help. If this has been raised before and I missed it, please forgive me.
..Um just pic showing goggles should work,in goggle setting you can have just goggle view or both,does pro+ have hdmi port on back of remote,I fitted on to old p4 remote so can use goggles and tablet at same time useing hdmi and usb port at same time..as for dji spying,well if we sync flights they can check I presume but there more intrusive apps avaliable that dji out there,gezz they can see our back yards from space ,Google Earth, street view just to name a couple,I think we safe at the moment,just my thoughts on that;)
Screenshot_20180211-115032.jpg

There is a lot of paranoia and misinformation around this topic.
The app records flight data which is extremely useful for investigating flight incidents, finding lost drones or making warranty claims.
You can upload flight data to DJI if you choose to but there is no need to if you don't want to.
Unless you synch your flight records, DJI have no idea where or when you fly.

And as for relaying your data to US authorities, that's fantasy.

..Um just pic showing goggles should work,in goggle setting you can have just goggle view or both,does pro+ have hdmi port on back of remote,I fitted on to old p4 remote so can use goggles and tablet at same time useing hdmi and usb port at same time..as for dji spying,well if we sync flights they can check I presume but there more intrusive apps avaliable that dji out there,gezz they can see our back yards from space ,Google Earth, street view just to name a couple,I think we safe at the moment,just my thoughts on that;)
View attachment 94866
Hey mate, thanks. I heard the latency was so bad it was unusable. I consider that as good as not compatible. I understand that DJI say they are compatible, but I have it on good authority that it is not worth the drama. I will get a good shade for the monitor. Thanks for your reply. Also, as far as the privacy issue goes, I was not that concerned as I just don't care what people know. I know we are being spied on all the time, but I also know that i am not doing anything the spies are interested in. If I fly where I shouldn't, and hurt no-one, I live out in the bush, miles from anywhere, so I have nothing to worry about. I was just interested to know if it was true. So, thanks for all the information. Cheers.

DJI does collect data unless you go out of the way to prevent it. This is why the US army has banned them from government jobs. DJI admits it and offers higher end commercial models that offer no collection of data. Hopefully they will offer that in Phantoms someday.
That's the kind of paranoia and misinformation I was referring to.
What data do you think DJI is collecting and how do they get it?
"go out of the way to prevent it" .. Even if DJI was collecting data, all that is needed to ensure they don't get it is to fly with a wifi only tablet or fly in airplane mode.
That's hardly going out of your way.
We see people's flight data all the time investigating incidents to work out what went wrong.
Do you really think that DJI cares how many thousands of people flew around their backyard or the park, how far they went, how high etc?
I know that after seeing what is contained in the flight data, that I'd know after about 5 flight records that there's not going to be anything worth collecting in anyone's flight data.
And the Army issue was only described as cybersecurity issues, which is usually taken to be concerns about the possibility of being taken over by hackers - not that the drones are collecting precious data to phone home.

Despite the widespread paranoia, no-one has ever found evidence of Phantoms phoning home.
You'd think someone would have noticed the increase in data if it was happening.

"go out of the way to prevent it" .. Even if DJI was collecting data, all that is needed to ensure they don't get it is to fly with a wifi only tablet or fly in airplane mode.
We see people's flight data all the time investigating incidents to work out what went wrong.
Do you really think that DJI cares how many thousands of people flew around their backyard or the park, how far they went, how high etc?
I know that after seeing what is contained in the flight data, that I'd know after about 5 flight records that there's not going to be anything worth collecting in anyone's flight data.
And the Army issue was only described as cybersecurity issues, which is usually taken to be concerns about the possibility of being taken over by hackers - not that the drones are collecting precious data to phone home.

Despite the widespread paranoia, no-one has ever found evidence of Phantoms phoning home.
You'd think someone would have noticed the increase in data if it was happening.

Just saw your gallery. WOW. I love what you love. You are awesome. I hope to be doing this when my p4p+ arrives.

I was simply stating fact. They collect data. You and I don't know if they archive it or not, but if they did, sorting big data to narrow locations down is simple Simon for programming. DJI could easily create a map of the U.S. and click on any location and review flights in a 2 mile radius. This is possible if they wanted to. So you decide if a communist country who has already hacked U.S.computers and taken secrets would do that with DJI data. Hmm.

DJI could easily create a map of the U.S. and click on any location and review flights in a 2 mile radius. This is possible if they wanted to.
Correction: DJI could click on any location and review flights in a 2 mile radius that have been uploaded by users.
The Phantom and controller can't send information back to DJI and your app will only do that if you tell it to.
DJI are not collecting your data unless you send it to them.
So you decide if a communist country who has already hacked U.S.computers and taken secrets would do that with DJI data. Hmm.
Ah yes ... the old communist country angle.
China is a huge country and may have engaged in various cyber espionage activities.
I'm not sure of the relevance of that to you and DJI.
Do DJI flyers flight logs contain secrets worth collecting?
If you've looked at flight logs it would be difficult to answer yes.

And China isn't the only country to engage in cyber espionage activities.
Most major powers are active in that area.
Look at what the NSA do as just one example. There are lots more as well.

DJI could click on any location and review flights in a 2 mile radius that have been uploaded by users.
That's true, pilots have to sync their data with DJI for them to collect it, and DJI cleverly makes that easy to do, practically tricking pilots to share their flight data.

1. Notice that DJI doesn't provide a way to archive your flight history offline. To keep your flight history you must sync with DJI whenever you upgrade GO4, or need to uninstall and reinstall GO4 when problems arise.
2. Notice that DJI had everyone reactivate their GO4 app last year, likely syncing all flight data when that happened, am I wrong? I don't know because I froze my GO4 app last May.
3. If DJI wanted to give the option of operating offline they could, very easily. So why don't they? Is there a motivation? The fact they don't provide this option when they know it's a controversy means they are motivated to collect data for some reason. If they were not motivated they would simply provide offline options to put an end to this controversy.

Meta, I always sync my flights, I have nothing to hide. But many others do special work in sensitive areas, who could naively share sensitive data with DJI. It's a clear risk. If you trust DJI, remember in a communist country, businesses don't have the rights we enjoy here in the US. The government can do what they want with DJIs big data, any time they want, if they so desire. So we need to decide, do we trust the Chinese government? Our government says no, because of the history they have demonstrated to be untrustworthy, hacking into sensitive U.S. computers.

Although you and I trust DJI, that doesn't mean the data isn't used by their government. We all know that's possible, maybe unlikely, but possible. We would be naive to think that could never happen.

BTW, you're implying they only store our flight data. How do we know they aren't syncing our photos from the Go4 cache data? Or video? When we sync, it takes a long time.

Last edited:
Another aspect of this which is worrying me a bit is that I cannot install DJI Assistant on my windows 10 laptop. I looked into this and discovered the reason is the driver is not signed properly by microsoft. Latest win10s do not allow installation of unsigned drivers. I could get round this but am not going to. I just think that a large company like DJI could get their drivers signed properly, unless there was somethingh dodgy in them, such as spyware. My main PC is windows 7 and there's no way I'm going to install any DJI software on that. I was using my laptop as it isn't essential to me and I don't use it for anything important. So if they manage to put spyware on it it doesn't matter.

They Mac OS installer of Assistant also is not a signed app as well. This is just laziness. Fortunately it’s just an app. Although recent installers also want to install a system kext for android phones. DJI. Really?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another aspect of this which is worrying me a bit is that I cannot install DJI Assistant on my windows 10 laptop. I looked into this and discovered the reason is the driver is not signed properly by microsoft. Latest win10s do not allow installation of unsigned drivers. I could get round this but am not going to. I just think that a large company like DJI could get their drivers signed properly, unless there was somethingh dodgy in them, such as spyware. My main PC is windows 7 and there's no way I'm going to install any DJI software on that. I was using my laptop as it isn't essential to me and I don't use it for anything important. So if they manage to put spyware on it it doesn't matter.

I was disappointed also when I could not find an App to work on my Windows 10, so I bought a Samsung Tab S and really like it. Can not imagine how I would attach my laptop to the RC. I do believe that Microsoft requirements are to strict for app developers, to much testing to get it signed equates to more development time and more money. Microsoft does not want an unstable App to crash the system (although they are constantly finding flaws in their OS and update all the time).

The US military was not concerned about a DJI employee in California having access to their flight data but rather the folks in China where DJI is based and where the government is no doubt as much engaged in collecting information as our own phone companies work hand in glove with the NSA and CIA and FBI.

A family had their house broken into in the middle of the night by a full SWAT team and it was because someone at the NSA became aware that the husband had done a Google search on both a pressure cooker and on a backpack and that triggered a red flag. The authorities chose to send an assault team in the middle of the night to confirm whether there was a possible terrorist cell. I can see the same thing happening if someone flies around a military base or airports on a regular basis. Frankly I am not worried about the Chines government or the people at the NSA and CIA but rather our militarized police departments with their Rambo mentality and lack of training and lack of discipline and lack of supervision.

I took a screen shot of a post a while back .I cant find the post now .
I get what Meta4 is saying about being paranoid but when there is a total lack of transparency with regard to theses apps and others it at the very least should make you cautious.

IMG-0329-2.PNG
IMG-0329-2.PNG IMG-0329-2.PNG IMG-0329-2.PNG IMG-0329-2.PNG

I took a screen shot of a post a while back .I cant find the post now .
I get what Meta4 is saying about being paranoid but when there is a total lack of transparency with regard to theses apps and others it at the very least should make you cautious.
That's pretty standard stuff for a lot of apps and isn't an indication that any data is being passed on.
It's pretty simple to track data traffic to see if there's a volume going out .... and there isn't.

Cyclone: First, you’ll love the P4P+. The integrated screen is lovely.

Myth. If anyone was bothered enough to monitor how the masses use their drones, assuming this was possible, they’d quickly go way beyond boredom simply because of mundane usage. Could I suggest that DJI have much better things to do with their time, such as running a successful business?

With build in screen you'll not need the goggles. It is enough bright. Even in a sunny day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4