DJI & Ryze Tech released the Tello drone (a $99 stunt drone)

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
Tello.jpg

"Perform flying stunts, shoot quick videos with EZ Shots, and learn about drones with coding education. Get yourself a Tello to find out just how awesome flying a drone can be!"

See more details here.

Reactions: KentA and Newbieguy
I like it's range 100m , it's further than some people are getting with the Spark LOL

They should have included an RC for this even if it cost a little more, is the FW proprietary? It would be nice if you could link it to a Taranis X7/X9D or Spectrum controller. I hate flying by App's.

They should have included an RC for this even if it cost a little more
I'm assuming they are going to also sell a package that includes the remote controller.

I like it's range 100m , it's further than some people are getting with the Spark LOL

Yea,with mod to FCC ,I am in Europe,I have 235meters with mobile phone and 1800m with the remote controller....

I was wondering how long it would take them to get something out there that competes with the Parrot Mambo. Similar price point but way nicer IMHO.

Reactions: sshephard
View attachment 93130

"Perform flying stunts, shoot quick videos with EZ Shots, and learn about drones with coding education. Get yourself a Tello to find out just how awesome flying a drone can be!"

See more details here.
Sadly (and as usual), when I follow the link it swaps to the European price, of 109 euros = $130.

So for just zooming around and having fun while not having to worry too much about crashing, I'll probably stick with the Syma X5C-1 which I've just bought online for $40, with a controller included, but no FPV.

For real pics and video I'll continue to use my P3P, of course ....:)

Killed off Spark so soon?

I think of the Spark as cheap garbage with unusable footage (but looks fun!), now that there is even cheaper one, why buy the Spark?

Gotta admire how much products they release.. it is like they are on meth. The employees are on meth.

With the Tello DJI just entered a jam-packed niche in the quad market. Although there are a lot of sales in this category, the competition is inexhaustible & I don’t see DJI dominating.

Reactions: MrTommy
Who can complete with DJI? That is a great drone for the price. My first Holy Stone cost more then that! Capture the kids and bring them into the DJI fold. I could have bought that, no i bought a phantom 4.

My opinion: Good price point and a household name in the field. But the 720p will turn some people off.

I'm sure DJI has done marketing focus groups to determine the business risk. They'd be insane not to have done so.

But market research can be deceiving.

Only time will tell if this move will be successful.

It may also be crack dealer ploy to get people to buy things like VR goggles and eventually graduate to bigger, more expensive DJI products.

Hubsan make 1080p drones for less than $99 dollars. It looks great the new DJI drone but the 720p camera is a turn off for me.

I read it is not a dji. Made by a different company. Dji shared their software and sells as a distributor?

Reactions: AndrewCCM
I'd had that thought as well - On the link it clearly states that it is made by Shenzhen RYZE Tech Co. Ltd and that all after-sales service and contact should be only with them.

Further down there is a logo which says "Powered by DJI", whatever that might mean... :)

If you do a search on that company you will find that the trademark application for 'Tello' was made by them only recently. TELLO Trademark Application of Shenzhen RYZE Tech. Co., Ltd - Serial Number 87681970 :: Justia Trademarks and I noticed further mentions in a Google search of such phrases as "Powered by a DJI flight control" ...

The 'Learn More' link takes you to Ryze Tech

You read correctly. It's a collaboration between DJI and Ryze Tech.

Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
I can't see this being a success. You can get the same thing for half the price but with a different brand.
1515590231348.png

I'd had that thought as well - On the link it clearly states that it is made by Shenzhen RYZE Tech Co. Ltd and that all after-sales service and contact should be only with them.

Further down there is a logo which says "Powered by DJI", whatever that might mean... :)

If you do a search on that company you will find that the trademark application for 'Tello' was made by them only recently. TELLO Trademark Application of Shenzhen RYZE Tech. Co., Ltd - Serial Number 87681970 :: Justia Trademarks and I noticed further mentions in a Google search of such phrases as "Powered by a DJI flight control" ...

The 'Learn More' link takes you to Ryze Tech

Thanks for the clarification.