DJI Phantom 4 standard Return to home feature not working

I don't understand the VPS zero height data, but looking at the sWave flag you are correct that it should be ignoring it.
The app seems to know whether it should be showing zero or N/A on the device screen just as Phantomhelp does.
It might be looking to OSD.isSwaveWork for the difference?

Reactions: sar104
So I downgraded the upgrade on my drone and the RTH feature works; only problem is it seems to be kind of squirrelly during flight and after take off and when the RTH is engaged it comes home at like 18 mph. Any thoughts? Thanks! Here is the newest report.
The strange issue of climbing before RTH when the drone is already well above the set RTH height has gone.
That's good as it was a complete mystery and I couldn't see what caused it.
I wonder if what you report as squirrelly flight was just the effect of gusty winds which are evident in the data?
RTH is a slow flyer and cruises home at 10 metres/sec (22mph) in still air.
If you do the driving, with obstacle avoidance disabled, you can make 16 m/s (36 mph).
This RTH maxxed at 9.2 m/s but was slowed some of the time by gusty winds up at 188 ft.

Although it's not climbing past RTH height and is coming home, there's one thing that's not quite right.
When you initiated RTH, the OSD.goHomeStatus data changes from Standby to Align and Cruise.
But after only one line of data, Cruise mysteriously changes to Other for the rest of the return flight.
@sar104 ??

Reactions: JVise and sar104
The strange issue of climbing before RTH when the drone is already well above the set RTH height has gone.
I wonder if what you report as squirrelly flight was just the effect of gusty winds which are evident in the data?
If you do the driving, with obstacle avoidance disabled, you can make 16 m/s (36 mph).
This RTH maxxed at 9.2 m/s but was slowed some of the time by gusty winds up at 188 ft.

Although it's not climbing past RTH height and is coming home, there's one thing that's not quite right.
When you initiated RTH, the OSD.goHomeStatus data changes from Standby to Align and Cruise.
But after only one line of data, Cruise mysteriously changes to Other for the rest of the return flight.
@sar104 ??

Don't you just hate it when your drone is doing "Other"?

Reactions: JVise and Meta4

@sar104 ??

Yes the wind was blowing very badly. After I posted it, I knew that the wind had to be the cause. For the kicks and giggles, I decided to update to the newest version again to see if it would work. After I did this, I calibrated the IMU and also recalibrated the compass. In doing so, the RTH still worked and it flew so much better. My final question I guess is it normal for it to come home at 20 mph and do you guys think the problem has been COMPLETELY fixed? I just want to make sure for safety reasons.

So I downgraded the upgrade on my drone and the RTH feature works
I decided to update to the newest version again to see if it would work. After I did this, I calibrated the IMU and also recalibrated the compass. In doing so, the RTH still worked and it flew so much better.
I'm glad to hear that the previously suggested fixes worked for you as well. :)

My final question I guess is it normal for it to come home at 20 mph
Yes, this is normal. As noted earlier by @Meta4, RTH is a slow flyer and cruises home at 10 metres/sec (22mph) in still air.
The emphasis on "in still air" is very important since wind conditions can greatly impact RTH speed. Wind can stop forward movement or even blow the AC backwards if wind is too much for the AC to overcome.

do you guys think the problem has been COMPLETELY fixed? I just want to make sure for safety reasons.
Its hard to say definitively, but in the other threads I referenced this seemed to fix the issue when it has been reported in the past.
I'd say that your chances are good.

Last edited:
Reactions: JVise
I'm glad to hear that the previously suggested fixes worked for you as well. :)

Yes, this is normal. As noted earlier by @Meta4, RTH is a slow flyer and cruises home at 10 metres/sec (22mph) in still air.
The emphasis on "in still air" is very important since wind conditions can greatly impact RTH speed. Wind can stop forward movement or even blow the AC backwards if wind is too much for the AC to overcome.

Its hard to say definitely, but in the other threads I referenced this seemed to fix the issue when it has been reported in the past.
I'd say that your chances are good.

Ok thank you guys very much!!! I’ll post a new record of the log later on and see if it’s where it needs to be. Once again thank you guys for all of y’alls help!!!

Reactions: Oso
I bought this drone brand new from a real estate company that had bought 2, but only needed one. I have flown this drone 4 times and I am unable to get the Return Home feature to work. When I click it (button or on phone) it shows returning home and makes beeping noises, but just stays in the same place and will not go anywhere else. Does anyone know what to do? Thanks!!!

Jhonas

I bought this drone brand new from a real estate company that had bought 2, but only needed one. I have flown this drone 4 times and I am unable to get the Return Home feature to work. When I click it (button or on phone) it shows returning home and makes beeping noises, but just stays in the same place and will not go anywhere else. Does anyone know what to do? Thanks!!!

Jhonas
I had the same issue, but the solution was simple. It was enough to log in on my account in the dji go app. Previously I was flying logged out, and the issue arose.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl